Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

paying for a level editor for doom2??

ok i thought paying for a level editor for quake 2 was ridiculous.. i mean.. i used the evalutation copy of wad author ONLY to make perfect round sectors and insert ambient sounds and the eval. copy has expired so now i have no idea what editor to use thats as simple as wadauthor..

20 bucks for the registered copy???? its not that its expensive, it isnt but buying a copy of final doom at a pc store is even less than that! maybe 5 bucks would be better or be a pal and make it freeware.. there are half life editors that are freeware.

http://arise.to/redemption

Unzip the the files into your wadauthor folder again. Just keep doing that every time it expires. You'll only have to do it every two weeks or so.

Guest PainoMan

gee, I didn't know you could use WadAuthor for Quake 2 maps!

PainoMan said:

All you need is a Quake2 wcf file.

PainoMan said:

heeyyyy, kewl icon.. where can i get myself an icon?

Rewind your date for 15 day for that Wad Author will automaticaly return to 0 day of evaluation !
or re-install the .wcl files that come with WA in the zip file.

-- I hope i'll not burn by doing that trick! --
But go paid it if you want to be register !

:)

I spent $60 on DeeP97 a little over a year ago. And now, I can't tell the difference in my financial situation. It doesn't really affect me to spend that money. Perhaps it does seem a little odd to spend money on a DOOM level editor, but wow, these guys have spent so much time on it, making it such a great level editor. I'm talking about DeePsea. So many features, so many time-savers. I believe the fun we get out of making levels, textures, music and all, is far greater than anything we've experienced playing the original DOOM series. Worth the money in my mind.

I agree, I think that having to pay for an editor is against the spirit of the doom source movement, but wadauthor predates the source release. However, deepsea doesn't so I think that this is an ethical mess. Use a free editor such as deu or a more recent version and take the time to learn how it is used- in the end your concience will be better off ;)

AndrewB said:

I spent $60 on DeeP97 a little over a year ago. And now, I can't tell the difference in my financial situation. It doesn't really affect me to spend that money. Perhaps it does seem a little odd to spend money on a DOOM level editor, but wow, these guys have spent so much time on it, making it such a great level editor. I'm talking about DeePsea. So many features, so many time-savers. I believe the fun we get out of making levels, textures, music and all, is far greater than anything we've experienced playing the original DOOM series. Worth the money in my mind.

Beh. It's time-saving if you can afford the months of time it takes to learn those time-savers.

Yeah, it is ridiculous to pay $20 for WadAuthor, but then again, it is perhaps hard as an author to make something freeware when it is 70000+ lines of your hard work.

Teppic said:

I agree, I think that having to pay for an editor is against the spirit of the doom source movement, but wadauthor predates the source release. However, deepsea doesn't so I think that this is an ethical mess. Use a free editor such as deu or a more recent version and take the time to learn how it is used- in the end your concience will be better off ;)

What's the ethical mess? Anybody can charge anything they want for a program they write. Everyone else has the free choice whether or not to buy it. There's always plenty of free alternatives, so if someone can't or is unwilling to pay, they won't be left out in the cold.

Guest PainoMan
Stphrz said:

All you need is a Quake2 wcf file.

hehehe... you had me goin' there for a second Stphrz! Then I noticed your subject line!

Stphrz said:

What's the ethical mess? Anybody can charge anything they want for a program they write. Everyone else has the free choice whether or not to buy it. There's always plenty of free alternatives, so if someone can't or is unwilling to pay, they won't be left out in the cold.

The community and things like boom wouldn't exist without the open doom source. Its in the spirit of the community to preserve the open-source ideal and as such charging for an editor that is used for a 5 year old open-source game in an open source community is rather ludicrous. Indeed, they are perfectly entitled to charge for the editor- The western banks are perfectly entitled to demand back the money they lent to third world countries (before they let it slide that is) with the interest on top- but is that the same as ethically right?

NightFang

i have the crack since a long time, well since the beginning i've start editng with ZDoom on the Hexen mode.

Teppic said:

The community and things like boom wouldn't exist without the open doom source. Its in the spirit of the community to preserve the open-source ideal and as such charging for an editor that is used for a 5 year old open-source game in an open source community is rather ludicrous. Indeed, they are perfectly entitled to charge for the editor- The western banks are perfectly entitled to demand back the money they lent to third world countries (before they let it slide that is) with the interest on top- but is that the same as ethically right?

I agree paying for a Doom editor is rather a silly notion. I also agree with your views on open-source. I don't think it is unethical though. Like I said, we all have a good choice of free editors to use, so it's not like we can't edit for Doom unless we pay to do it. The example you gave about the western banks is a completely different situation dealing with an issue of far greater importance than a little old game called Doom.