Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis`

Gc

Will doom3 be possible at all on the GC? I'm sure they would have to strip the game alot but It is possible to some extent right?

Ralphis said:

Will doom3 be possible at all on the GC? I'm sure they would have to strip the game alot but It is possible to some extent right?

I bet is is possible but u can be 100% certain that the port will never happen!

DOOM III will probably only be ported to the XBox and Carmack is not a NINTENDO fan and won't become one any time soon.

Dima said:

Carmack is not a NINTENDO fan and won't become one any time soon.

Sure he is. Romero and he did a port of Super Mario to PC in the early nineties to show off their Commander Keen engine prototype.

Anyway, a Gamecube port is a no-no. For that to even work at a playable speed you'd probably have to cut out the real-time shadowing and bring down the geometry and characters to only a few thousand polygons; and at that point you really wouldn't be playing Doom III anymore. So, no.

Hmm... Doom's already appeared on the Gameboy, Snes and N64 - so why not the Gamecube?

Spike said:

Hmm... Doom's already appeared on the Gameboy, Snes and N64 - so why not the Gamecube?

The old Doom's not a problem - we're talking about the new 'monster of a game' Doom3.

Lord FlatHead said:

Sure he is. Romero and he did a port of Super Mario to PC in the early nineties to show off their Commander Keen engine prototype.

Anyway, a Gamecube port is a no-no. For that to even work at a playable speed you'd probably have to cut out the real-time shadowing and bring down the geometry and characters to only a few thousand polygons; and at that point you really wouldn't be playing Doom III anymore. So, no.

hmm...

have u seen the specs of the gamecube?

I agree, the DOOM III engine won't be able to shine in it's full extent on the GC, but it should run it without problems.

The Rogue Leader ships on the GC were composed of 100k polys so i think it shouldn't have any problems hadling DOOM III...

I think it would end up looking like what it will look like on Geforce 2 hardware, or worse. The Gamecube's "Flipper" chip is a fixed function T&L GPU, similiar to the older generation GeForce's and Radeon's.

Well, if Doom 3 can supposedly run on 1st-generation Radeons and GeForces with dynamic shadowcasting and bumpmapping, then why not on the GameCube? Even at 320x240, it would be perfectly playable. Heck, nearly every N64 game ran at that resolution.

Not as though I care either way.

it would definitley work, considering the huge advantage of the low resolution all consoles have

Well, if someone took the time making a decent port, not a rushed six month job, and optimised/re-wrote sections of the engine to adapt specifically it to the hardware (this would apply to other ports), then it would look pretty good.

I hate seeing the best PC games being ported to console for moronic masses. If they can't port Doom III properly, or in some way to imply consoles are as shite as they are, then they shouldn't bother.

That would be 1337455 if somebody made a Doom for the GameCube, like Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, The Master Levels and um...Heretic, Hexen and hell, even Strife ;)

485 Mhz? Hah! My PC has 1 Ghz and a GeForce3 (or 997 Mhz to be exact). There's no way D3 would run on that

Mr. Chris said:

485 Mhz? Hah! My PC has 1 Ghz and a GeForce3 (or 997 Mhz to be exact). There's no way D3 would run on that

My computer has 1.6 ghz and a GeForce 4 TI 4600. It WILL be able to play Doom 3 ;)

consoles dont need nowhere as high clock speeds as PCs and such. the specs of a console really means nothing, its the games that count

Exactly, Specs for console basically mean nothing, they tell you what it could be if it was a computer, but specs on a console, IMO mean nothing.

bigbadgangsta said:

My computer has 1.6 ghz and a GeForce 4 TI 4600. It WILL be able to play Doom 3 ;)

I have the same except the processor is 100mhz faster.

I got me a 4 MHz modded TRS-80 Color Computer with 2 MB RAM. Oh but that won't play a Wolfenstein 3D clone decently let alone anything modern. :p

Mr. Chris said:

yes it will actually

technology forum, again

DoomIII could be done on GCN if the port was done right. The only thing that could possibly make it difficult is memory. However, if the developer who does the port optimizes the engine properly, then it could work rather well. I remember reading on IGN before the GCN was released that there was an option in the Technical Documentation for a memory addon. If it were necessary, this could be used. (if it exists...) I would rather see the port done right, than have the developer just be lazy and use the addon.

As far as actual performance goes, the T&L unit may be slightly less powerful than the Xbox, but it is certainly adequate to run the engine. The texturing unit is a monster though. It could easily handle the textures in DoomIII.

Yes, exactly, Charon just said what I tried to say in the other cube/console thread, The Gamecube is VERY capable, and despite having, on paper, inferior specs to the xbox, can do everything the zbox can do and things that it can't. The same vice-versa: the box can do what the gamecube can do, and some things it can't. Rogue Leader on the Cube looks fantastic, and metroid prime for the cube, coming soon, looks pretty bloody good as well.

As I said before, Specs for consoles, really don't show you what a console can do, you have to actually try and make something on the console to see what it can and can't do.

Mind you, this is just my opinion.

Heh, just slightly offtopic, Metalgear Solid 2 was perfectly possible on the cube, but Konami didn't wanna do it because they coundn't fit it all on one GC disc.

Whether this will affect iD's choice to convert Doom3, no one knows. And I highly doubt iD themselves will do the conversion (Still hurting over the whole "Wolfenstein on SNES" thing)