Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LRM

Brainless?

Guest LRM

I've been flipping through some new and old "nintendo power" magazines and stumbled onto reviews for games like Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark. I heard something like " Game X is not as boring and brainless as games like doom because of strategic mission objectives that must be completed."
A few days ago, some people have been calling me "brainless/satanic/homosexual" upon hearing that I play DooM and Magic: the Gathering (Yeah, call me a geek all you want).

Is DooM brainless?
I fear for this planet if a "brainless" game can survive for 7+ years.

Doom is popular because it doesn't have "mission objectives" to bother with, it's straight foward and simple, making it fast paced, fun, and completely customizable. Anybody who works a computer to make source ports and create levels is not brainless.
(You say level making is easy, but about 85% of the kids at my school would never be able to do it.

And for the last donkey f*6%ing time, DOOM IS NOT INFLUENTIAL OR SATANIC! Listen, the columbine incident kids were screwed up in the first place. Doom is a stress reliever. Whenever people tell me that it is sinister to relieve feelings by shooting monsters, I ask them if they would rather me shoot real people instead. It is a parents responsibility to keep doom away from their kids if they DO become influenced.
I don't see what's satanic about KILLING hell beasts.

I feel better now.

BTW, ling, I uploaded a face several days ago! Did you not get it?

oh kay.... well... posting up how doom didnt influence the columbine incident shouldnt be posted here... try going to sites where they HATE doom and say that, we already know that doom didnt influence them

http://arise.to/redemption

LMS2 rawks!

Guest Jello Biafra

Maybe we all know that, but it's still very true. And you're right, when I tell people that I play DooM they call me satanic and tell me that it's a dead game. I just tell them that it's a Hell of a lot better than most shit out there, and it has great replay value. Once again, you're right in questioning how killing zombies and demons is satanic, if anything it's anti-satanic. I get sick of people blaming games for everything, it's the damn parents fault to talk the kids. Finally you're right, DooM is better than mission based games because it's simple, you jump in, and start having fun, no worrying about shooting the wrong person or blowing up computers, it's just fun. Plus, level designing is a hell of a lot harder than people think, I've been designing for Quake for a little bit, but now I'm trying to get good with DooM editing(it's a hell of a lot harder than Quake).

Whoohoo, my first post. I'd like to say hi to all you people.

Guest doomgod12345

i get tired of all the people bad mouthing doom too. but it is not very common anymore. i also hate some of the new laws placed in some areas that restrict gamers, like u cant play violent games or bye them till 18 in a few cites

Mechasam said:

oh kay.... well... posting up how doom didnt influence the columbine incident shouldnt be posted here... try going to sites where they HATE doom and say that, we already know that doom didnt influence them

LMS2 rawks!

That's the bad part about things like Doom; people never look at the statistics. How many people around the world play Doom? Hundreds, or thousands. There are maybe millions of people who have played it at least once. How many of them went mass killings? 2 or 3. And they were all psychotic to begin with.

Also, it's not entirely on-topic, but I got a chance to play some of the levels made by Eric Harris. The overall feeling I got while playing them is:

a) This is creepy, I'm playing a level made by a psychopath.

b) This is cool/creepy (I can't decide) because the levels are fairly well made (compared to a lot of other levels I've seen, anyway). Which means that even people who appear sane right now might go berserk, which is a little unsettling.

c) He seemed to have at least a small concern for fairness in deathmatches, because he said in the TXTs for all his levels that they contained "every weapon, except for that ever-so-cheap BFG" and even modified a wall texture to have an image of a BFG that says "looking for me?"

d) He actually had a good idea in one of his WADs. There is one part where, in order to obtain the plasma gun, you have to walk/jump over a lot of platforms, and catch a lift at just the right time, while you are exposed to shots from the other players. You have to "earn" it. Ingenius, if you ask me.

Also, regarding the OP: Yeah, Doom is becoming less taboo, and now I can say "I still play Doom" without a everyone saying "Why the hell are you still playing that piece of crap." (Okay, a few still do, but these people are idiots.) I think Doom is good BECAUSE you don't have to worry about purchasing firearms, a million different keys to press, a story, or where on the body you shoot the demons, like in other FPSes. I'm not playing chess here, I just wanna relieve stress by mowing down a few hellspawns.

And, no, I don't think I am going to convert to satanism by playing Doom, or even SpiceZDoom.

Guest LRM
Jello Biafra said:

Maybe we all know that, but it's still very true. And you're right, when I tell people that I play DooM they call me satanic and tell me that it's a dead game. I just tell them that it's a Hell of a lot better than most shit out there, and it has great replay value. Once again, you're right in questioning how killing zombies and demons is satanic, if anything it's anti-satanic. I get sick of people blaming games for everything, it's the damn parents fault to talk the kids. Finally you're right, DooM is better than mission based games because it's simple, you jump in, and start having fun, no worrying about shooting the wrong person or blowing up computers, it's just fun. Plus, level designing is a hell of a lot harder than people think, I've been designing for Quake for a little bit, but now I'm trying to get good with DooM editing(it's a hell of a lot harder than Quake).

Whoohoo, my first post. I'd like to say hi to all you people.

Jello?

Guest destROYer

people who dislike doom are feebel minded / imbred
and even if it is satanic who gives a fuck?

Guest LRM
Mechasam said:

LMS2 rawks!

Youre right mechasam, but i couldnt find an anti doom site to post this on.

So sue me.

LRM said:

Jello?

He's (was) the lead singer for the Dead Kennedys, a punk rock band that was popular in the early 80's. Obviously this guy ain't him. Just using his name....

LRM said:

Jello?

Jello Biafra rules!! I got a few of his Spoken Word Live discs; great, great stuff, much better than that Dead Kennedy's ruckuss of his. (Although Soup Is Good Food and MTV Get Off The Air are two of my favorite songs.) He also did an album with Mojo Nixon, I haven't heard the whole thing but I got the single for Will The Fetus Be Aborted and it rules.

Cool, another magic/gathering player. Except I play with the trading cards (gets to be abit expensive) instead of the computer version because it's 90mb (on the HD, that's too much for me to allow for something like that, i'd rather play in person so I can laugh in his face when I crush him).

RPGs, CCGs, FPS shooters... they are only satanic if you build yourself around that aspect. And be damned if you do!

WHAT!?? I'm outraged. I can't believe anyone would call DOOM satanic. Just because it features Hell, how does that make it satanic? If anyone bothered to check out the game, rather than just see a couple screenshots, they would know that the entire point is that you're fighting AGAINST hell. That's like saying "Saving Private Ryan" is pro-Nazi because it features the Germans in it. And as far as making people violent goes, anyone can go nuts, and considering the fact that hundreds of thousands of people have played DOOM at some point in their lives, and less than 10 of them go insane and kill everybody at school, there's really no correlation between DOOM and being psychotic. I think the real problems are the parents, for not noticing the warning signs that these kids were disturbed, and the media, for having national coverage of every shooting, causing a domino effect of "copy-cat" shootings where the kid gets the idea from the 6:00 news. Let's all remember that Columbine was not the first shooting, and was actually one of the last in a whole string of school shootings, and they were probably more inspired by the other shootings than anything else. Oh and, as a final note, despite the school shootings, violence at school has actually gone down in recent years, so is there really any problems in the first place?

Guest LRM
sirgalahadwizar said:

Cool, another magic/gathering player. Except I play with the trading cards (gets to be abit expensive) instead of the computer version because it's 90mb (on the HD, that's too much for me to allow for something like that, i'd rather play in person so I can laugh in his face when I crush him).

RPGs, CCGs, FPS shooters... they are only satanic if you build yourself around that aspect. And be damned if you do!

I play with the cards not the computer as well!

If someone goes mass-murdering after playing doom, the game is only a trigger for a large-scale mental sickness within the subject's head. Whether doom is brainless or not can be discussed. Actually, who the hell cares if doom doesn't make you a smarter person or require you to push your grey cells to the maximum? Games that require brains and games that requires quick reflexes and playing skill should be treated as separate game types, each with pros and cons. Doom is rather simple, but it has a feeling that remains unbeaten.

LRM said:

I play with the cards not the computer as well!

You ever been killed by a Craw Giant with a Lure on it? (it gets reeely bad when your playing a weenie deck, thing gets like +25/+25 and has trample, then the guy directs all the damage to one guy and you take 20+damage).

Im sure there are far worse fates like being killed by an Ornithopter though (crappy 0/2 flying artifact creature, people will pump it up with enchantments and kill you with it!).

Guest LRM

Naw, but try this second turn kill

You need a black\green deck with hermit druids "stronghold rare" and haunting misery "weatherlight uncommon" NO BASIC LAND, grim monoliths, mox diamonds, dark rituals, nonbasic lands.
Hermit druid's ability reads "G: tap: reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a basic land card. Put the basic land in your hand and the rest of the cards in you graveyard"
Use artifacts to get him out first turn. Use more artifacts and nonbasic lands to get mana, than play several dark rituals. Use the druids ability. (since there are no basic lands in your deck, your whole deck will end up in the graveyard)
haunting misery reads " remove x cards in your graveyard from the game, deal x damage to target player"

Voila 50+ damage!

Guest David A
Lüt said:

Jello Biafra rules!! I got a few of his Spoken Word Live discs; great, great stuff, much better than that Dead Kennedy's ruckuss of his. (Although Soup Is Good Food and MTV Get Off The Air are two of my favorite songs.) He also did an album with Mojo Nixon, I haven't heard the whole thing but I got the single for Will The Fetus Be Aborted and it rules.

LARD is about the only thing he's involved in that I liked... It's basically Ministry with Jello doing vocals. Somehow it fits, I dunno.