Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Laimiz

addmap zdaemon

alright, i've got a server up and i only want to run map01 map04 and map06, so that's what i have so far:

rcon_password :P
set cfg_activated "1"
set hostname "Ze Swamp"
set motd "bla"
set wadurl "http:\\laimiz-doom.tk/"
set email "laimiz@xxx.lt"
set skill "4"
set fraglimit "40"
set timelimit "60"
set max_rate "8192"
deathmatch 1
set dmflags "594948"
addmap map01
addmap map04
addmap map06

but when map01 is over, it goes to god damn map02, what's the problem?

He's talking about zdaemon. Laimiz, I don't think you can put the addmap commands in the zserver.cfg file. Those addmap commands are typically in a separate config file which you invoke on the command line which starts the server. Let's say you have a file named doom2dm.cfg, a text file, which contains the addmap commands. Start the server thus: zserver +exec doom2dm.cfg You might also need other command line arguments such as -maxclients or -maxplayers or -warp. If you start without -warp, the server will be on map01 and the next map will be taken from the doom2dm.cfg file, map01 again will play before going on to map04. So you could start with -warp 06, or could have the map rotation map04, map06, map01.

Oh yeah, that max rate 8192.....reduce that unless you have an amazing T1 or T3 internet connection. That setting limits the max rate given to any one client and if clients have their own rate settings high, they can swamp your bandwidth and cause lots of lag and other problems. Players can do fine when limited to a rate of 2500 actually, and modem clients often cannot use much more without causing themselves problems. If people complain of lag, I'd try setting it down at 3500 or less. I'm specifically talking about the max rate in the zserver.cfg file, not in the zdoom.cfg file.

yes i know he's talking about zdaemon, and i saw him was hosting a server for dwango10 0_0

Biffy said:

Oh yeah, that max rate 8192.....reduce that unless you have an amazing T1 or T3 internet connection.

I don't get it. I only have a 56k connection, but I run a ZDaemon server for me and Dean to play on sometimes (I use ZDaemon because Dean doesn't have Doom Connector and he'd find typing in my IP too complicated a task to bother with), and I've tried using low rates like you're supposed to with slow connections, but although 56k is slower than any connection suggested, I can only make the server run half-decently if I set the max rate to 10000. LOL, my computer is strange.

If you host for one friend only, that max_rate setting may not do anything...because Dean should have his own client rate setting down at 2500 or so. Setting the server max_rate to 10,000 should have nothing to do with making the server "run decently" if the documents are correct. You are probably noticing random variations in internet condition. When I hosted csdoom, we'd be playing OK on the server (I was playing remote via modem, not playing on the server machine itself) and when a friend with cable would join, other players would start crashing out and lagging. I asked this friend what his "rate" setting in csdoom client was...it was 10,000...and he was hogging the bandwidth. He set it lower and the server began to behave for the other players. I don't remember any max_rate server setting in csdoom, that's probably one of the zdaemon improvements which lets a server admin prevent any single player from sucking up too much bandwidth.

Ah, I see, I get it now, thanks. So, it doesn't really matter what I set as the max rate when the server is just for me and Dean, as long as it's not lower than his rate. Well, I suppose it might work better if it's slightly below his rate, because it might reduce lag slightly.

Heh, I tried running the server with a max rate of 1 once (I thought that since it said to use a max rate of 2500 for "Slow connections", meaning DSL, and since my connection was even slower than that, I thought I'd try using 1), but that had disasterous effects - I was the only person that could move almost normally in the game - everyone else that connected became frozen for about 10 seconds, then they'd suddendly move from one side of the map to the other, and then freeze for a further 10 seconds, and so on, lol.

Haha MaTT, DSL is not the zdaemon definition of "slow connection". Slow connection is dial-up modem at 28,800, which is playable with zdaemon as long as the ping is not too high. Connect rate and ping are not the same thing, you probably know that. My modem never connected well above 44,000 bps and I used to try varying my client "rate" beteen 2500 and 3500 without seeing significant difference. Now I have DSL and have my client rate at 4000 when I (rarely) play.

Hey, I see something which might be causing endless confusion. On my machine here, where I never host zdaemon but just play it, I looked in my zdoom.cfg file in the zdaemon folder. There is a "max_rate 2500" entry there, as well as a "rate 4000" entry. Zdaemon writes this zdoom.cfg file, that's part of its inherited zdoom 1.22 code. In regular zdoom 1.22, there is no such max_rate or rate setting, so zdaemon writes them both. The client should be making use of the "set rate 4000" entry and I'll bet that the "max_rate 2500" entry is not used at all...that is a zserver function!

Biffy said:

Haha MaTT, DSL is not the zdaemon definition of "slow connection". Slow connection is dial-up modem at 28,800, which is playable with zdaemon as long as the ping is not too high. Connect rate and ping are not the same thing, you probably know that. My modem never connected well above 44,000 bps and I used to try varying my client "rate" beteen 2500 and 3500 without seeing significant difference. Now I have DSL and have my client rate at 4000 when I (rarely) play.

Haha, I can't imagine playing ZDaemon with a 28.8k connection. 56k is laggy enough. I've never tried changing my rate, mainly because I didn't know you could before you told me earlier. Yeah, I know the difference between connect rate and ping. I'll hopefully have a faster Internet connection some time in the not-so-distant future. I'm considering getting ADSL at the moment, but that won't be for a long time because I only get £60 a month and it costs loads to install and in rental.

Biffy said:

Hey, I see something which might be causing endless confusion. On my machine here, where I never host zdaemon but just play it, I looked in my zdoom.cfg file in the zdaemon folder. There is a "max_rate 2500" entry there, as well as a "rate 4000" entry. Zdaemon writes this zdoom.cfg file, that's part of its inherited zdoom 1.22 code. In regular zdoom 1.22, there is no such max_rate or rate setting, so zdaemon writes them both. The client should be making use of the "set rate 4000" entry and I'll bet that the "max_rate 2500" entry is not used at all...that is a zserver function!

Yeah, that's strange. Oh, maybe it's for hosting private multiplayers on ZDoom.