Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

DOOM III Video Interview

Gamespot has released a few of their video interviews from E3. One the videos that are available for downloading is an interview with id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and level designer Christian "Xian" Antkow discussing DOOM III. it's a hefty 66 megs and you will need to install a plug-in to view them. Head over to the GameSpot Download Page to check them out.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/misc/downloadcenter/

You'll find the link to the interview there

P.S
Downloading it now...
God their download manager SUCKS!!!

Lord FlatHead said:

30 KB/sec here.

/me grabs an ice cold Dr. Pepper, cranks up some Devin Townsend and waits.

100+ kb/sec here :)

But I recall downloading with the same speed with other programs and finishing files of this size in less than 5 minutes!

I highly doubt that the speed this download manager shows is correct... but it's all worth it for some more DOOM III godness! :)

Umm, yeah. I'm sure Hollenshead and Xian will be repeating the stuff they've been saying since E3 - including that PC Gamer article. Big step in technology, we're going to scare you, it's going to be the best single player thing from id ever, blablablablabla.

Lord FlatHead said:

Umm, yeah. I'm sure Hollenshead and Xian will be repeating the stuff they've been saying since E3 - including that PC Gamer article. Big step in technology, we're going to scare you, it's going to be the best single player thing from id ever, blablablablabla.

Yeah, I'm sure of that too, but it's still worth it! :)

P.S
Now that's WEIRD!

I've been watching the download since it started:
The speed is always above 100kb/sec BUT the download manager shows me that I downloaded 17mb when I checked the default dir where it downloads and it is 49mb!!

Well okay, I've watched it. Basically it's bits of interview with Christian and Todd, with some scenes from the Legacy movie thrown in and some really annoying techno tune in the background. The most interesting things I picked up:

• The teleportation experiments between Deimos and Phobos have been written out of the game, leaving us with Mars and a sidetrip to Hell.
  • Each level has a purpose in the story and follows a script.
  • Speeding up playing movement in deathmatch is an option.
  • It's definetly going to be a 2003 release.

God their download manager SUCKS!!! [/B]

Absolutely !!!
I tried to download the file, but I always get an error message when I want to start.

"Kontiki was unable to complete that delivery. Please try again later."

WTF?
To much traffic or what ? Can't error messages simply tell what is wrong ? It's like "Sorry, error 23487645" ! ':\

Revenant! said:

I tried to download the file, but I always get an error message when I want to start.

There's an option to download the offline installer. It's 2.5MB and worked without a hitch for me.

Lord FlatHead said:

• The teleportation experiments between Deimos and Phobos have been written out of the game, leaving us with Mars and a sidetrip to Hell.

Well, thats not entirely bad. But, it still seperates doom from doom3 even more, and i'm not crazy bout that.

• Each level has a purpose in the story and follows a script.

thats what was expected i guess, i mean if your going to be in control of the story then everything you do has to count for something.

• Speeding up playing movement in deathmatch is an option.

why would you want to do that if DM environments are the same cramped ones that litter the single player game? but its good that they give you the option.

• It's definetly going to be a 2003 release.

well so much for christmas sales :\

gatewatcher said:

well so much for christmas sales :\

How so? December 10, 2003. 10th anniversary, just before Christmas. Sounds about right to me.

AndrewB said:

How so? December 10, 2003. 10th anniversary, just before Christmas. Sounds about right to me.

december 10 2003 is a LONG time away. i think they will be finished months before that... right?

Yeah, but it would so cool to see the game released at the exact same time Doom was released 10 years ago.

DooMBoy said:

Yeah, but it would so cool to see the game released at the exact same time Doom was released 10 years ago.

i rather have the game sooner than on the anniversary. that i think would be better just cuz the anniversary wouldnt completely be overlooked by the release of doom3. for the anniversary, id will do something cool :)

Lord FlatHead said:

What, releasing Doom III isn't cool enough by your standards ?

blah. thats not what i said!

gatewatcher said:

that [doom3 being released before the anniversary] i think would be better just cuz the anniversary wouldnt completely be overlooked by the release of doom3.

what i mean, and what i thought i made clear, was that by releasing doom3 on the anniversary most people would overlook the anniversary and just think of it as the day doom3 was released. what i hope id will do is release doom3 then do something that will properly celebrate the 10th anniversary. and if they do relase doom3 on the anniversary, thats definately ok too. but then i would want to have it earlier!

DooMBoy said:

Heh, It's like, its so cool to go on holiday over 3 years, cause then its 3 years ago that i went there:p

Did anyone download the 4 part interview with John Carmak at QuakeCon 2001 about Doom III from GameSpot.com? I want it but you have to be a member and that requires $$$... :( Is there anyway I would be able to get it?

id rules
Anyway I can get those vids from gamespot without pulling out my wallet?

id Nut said:

id rules
Anyway I can get those vids from gamespot without pulling out my wallet?

yeah i think so. i watched them on a t1 connection at my school once, so there is some way to watch them. btw, they were streaming, the mpegs cost money.

I don't have the video, but there's really no reason to prefer video over mp3 in this case. It's just Carmack and the Gamespot guy sitting at a table for half an hour talking. What Carmack says is more important than what he looks like (at least that's my opinion), so you can find the 30 minute interview at

http://www.doomworld.com/lordflathead/storage/carmack-qcon2k1-gamespot.mp3

Enjoy.