Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DiSTuRBeD

mmmm... strange unknown levels

Ok, i was fiddling around trying out using map33, map34 etc for levels (in boom), and it worked just fine, alltho only on map33, map34 and map35.
So, i brought up the automap, and i noticed the levels had names:

33 : level 1 - Congo
34 : level 2 - Well of souls
35 : level 3 - Aztec

These did not ring a bell for me. All the other levels gave me a "bad music number" error, so i couldn't check those out. I couldn't run Dehacked on boom.exe, but i ran it on doom2.exe and i didn't find any of these titles anywhere...

two questions:

Are those levels part of final doom or something? (No i don't have it)
Is there any way to fix the "bad musc #" error?

Well, it makes some sence, as Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom all use EXACTLY the same exe (Ultimate Doom uses a slightly diffrent one to add the 4th ep :). Just try it. Take Doom.exe, and copy it into doom2 dir, and run it. Weird, no?

Just how do I know this? I'm a very very boring man.

=^)

Test-0

Test-0 said:

Well, it makes some sence, as Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom all use EXACTLY the same exe (Ultimate Doom uses a slightly diffrent one to add the 4th ep :). Just try it. Take Doom.exe, and copy it into doom2 dir, and run it. Weird, no?

=^)

Test-0

I have Doom and Doom 2. For Doom 1, I got an old old copy that was stored on 4 floppies. Unfortunately, one of the disks was corrupt and all I could install from the deice program was the main WAD and the setup program, not the EXE. I tried using the Doom 2 EXE with the doom 1 WAD (and I think I renamed doom2.exe to doom.exe or something) and it worked! I had Doom 1, running off of Doom2.exe! I was very surprised.

Guest PainoMan
Test-0 said:

=^)

Test-0

What the hell are you talking about? The doom.exe is NOT the same as the doom2.exe. The last version of Doom 2 will run The Plutonia Experiment and er... (damn I forgot the freaking name...) the other Final Doom wad and the demos. I'm not total sure the exe's are completely the same though. Well, they are definitely NOT exactly the same because the Final Doom exe comes up with a different title on the boot-up screen. The actual engines are probably the same, because the demos do run.

I don't see how running doom.exe in a doom2 dir would work (but I haven't actually tried it). Unless maybe if you renamed the doom2.wad to doom.wad, otherwise the exe won't find the wad file.

Guest PainoMan
DiSTuRBeD said:

no, they didn't. They came up in Boom

Which IWAD were you using? I'm guessing that this is because of the way the Boom.exe is coded. It might take into account the levels of Final Doom.

PainoMan said:

What the hell are you talking about? The doom.exe is NOT the same as the doom2.exe. The last version of Doom 2 will run The Plutonia Experiment and er... (damn I forgot the freaking name...) the other Final Doom wad and the demos. I'm not total sure the exe's are completely the same though. Well, they are definitely NOT exactly the same because the Final Doom exe comes up with a different title on the boot-up screen. The actual engines are probably the same, because the demos do run.

I don't see how running doom.exe in a doom2 dir would work (but I haven't actually tried it). Unless maybe if you renamed the doom2.wad to doom.wad, otherwise the exe won't find the wad file.

PianoMan

Hey, make sure you know what you're talking about before you shoot off your mouth. The doom.exe and doom2.exe are basically the exact same engine, with very, very, minor differences. The only one really being more code pointers in the doom2.exe for the new monsters. Try running doom2.wxe on doom.wad, and itll work! The double barrel wont be in there however, because doom.wad doesn't have the graphics for it