Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChriS

Umm...

Guest ChriS

Why are people still playing Doom/Doom II? It's about 7yrs and there are better games than it like Half-Life, Unreal, Quake3: Arena are a few examples. C'mon get your compies upgraded and play along! ^_^

Hey I know Doom is still a good FPS, but it kinda got old to me a couple weeks ago. BTW, I'll be on the Q3F servers as "Mr. Chris". Frag me if you can! ^_^

ChriS said:

Why are people still playing Doom/Doom II? It's about 7yrs and there are better games than it like Half-Life, Unreal, Quake3: Arena are a few examples. C'mon get your compies upgraded and play along!

well, for me. money is a problem, i dont have a job because im only 14.

Look, I own Half-Life, Quake 3, Unreal, Quake 2, Soldier of Fortune, Deus Ex, and Unreal Tournament. I have a fast computer. But I find Doom more fun. Graphics don't matter; the gameplay does.

Because all the new games have little to no replay value. They're good once or twice but that's all.

My computer can run Q3:A perfectly, and I even have a cable line, but you'll never catch me in a game with it; been there, done that ::Yawn::

Heh. My other machine runs all those new games perfectly too. Thing is I hardly ever use it. I'm still fooling around with Doom on my piddly little P200 :) My brother is a major Q3 junkie so he's pretty much taken over the new computer. What's more, I find I really don't care :P

I have no problem running Those games. And i have them all!

Sure they got better graphics, but if i left the doom community, i would dissapoint lots of people who beg me to finish TRTCC so they can play it! Also i would leave this community with all these friends!

I will never leave doom! I still think its the best damn game EVER!

Sir Fragsalot said:

. But I find Doom more fun. Graphics don't matter; the gameplay does.

Yeaup!

It sure does!

Of course I have all those other games, too, but I finished none of them. It is hard to say why DOOM is so much more fun.

That subject was discussed a lot here when DOOM 3 was announced (well, mentioned).

However, I still think the main reason is the weak monsters. You can kill an Imp with one shot and that is fun. No other game has this ammount of weak monsters, because that requires a lot of monsters in each room to keep the game challenging (which is not possible in 3D games, because current gfx cards cannot handle enough polygons).

Why is my Enlish so awful today?

Oh, now I remember: My English is always awful :-)

Guest spacedog
Captain Skippy said:

one of the reasons is that it's so easy to modify, i've tried building quake mapsand it's feckin' impossible. however i have managed a few nifty doom levels without much problem

All the games you mention are very good games. Doom cannot really be compared with them though, since it (among others) has pretty unique gameplay. I happen to like that gameplay a lot (I think we all do) and now when doom gets up-to-date graphics with the source ports, it becomes as high-class as any FPS out there. Nothing can really challenge it, since nothing is like it.

Guest ChriS
spacedog said:

one of the reasons is that it's so easy to modify, i've tried building quake maps and it's feckin' impossible. however i have managed a few nifty doom levels without much problem

I know what you mean, spacedog. WAD maps aree things, linedefs, sidedefs, vertexes, sectors, and the BSP tree. BSP maps are much more, with leaves, textures, etc. I tried myself, impossible.

Guest ChriS
Sir Fragsalot said:

Look, I own Half-Life, Quake 3, Unreal, Quake 2, Soldier of Fortune, Deus Ex, and Unreal Tournament. I have a fast computer. But I find Doom more fun. Graphics don't matter; the gameplay does.

sounds like you have a pretty big hard drive..

Guest ChriS
Captain Skippy said:

why don't you wait 2 years so you can get one? Than get money to upgrade your old junky comp.

Guest ChriS
Shaviro said:

I have no problem running Those games. And i have them all!

Sure they got better graphics, but if i left the doom community, i would dissapoint lots of people who beg me to finish TRTCC so they can play it! Also i would leave this community with all these friends!

I will never leave doom! I still think its the best damn game EVER!

Will you still think it'll be the best once DOOM3 is out?

ChriS said:

why don't you wait 2 years so you can get one? Than get money to upgrade your old junky comp.

its not that its junky, i dont have the money to buy the games, and my dad says i have no need for a 3d accelerated card, whata cheap asshole

ChriS said:

Will you still think it'll be the best once DOOM3 is out?

You cant compare DooM3 and DooM!

Guest kristus

Bah. I dunno how many times I seen these kinda posts.

I got a Athlon 700 Mhz with a Matrox millennium. I got SoF UT and Q2

Answer is simple. Doom is much more fun.

Nuff said.

Because I got:
*AMD 333 mhz
*64 meg/ram
*no 3d accelerator
*4.3 gig HD (1 gB total amongst the partitions left open)
*not enough money to upgrade

and... doom is alot easier to edit than quake (or higher) games with their complex coding and 3d-models.

I am spoiled with EDGE's ddfs btw...

Guest destROYer
ChriS said:

I know what you mean, spacedog. WAD maps aree things, linedefs, sidedefs, vertexes, sectors, and the BSP tree. BSP maps are much more, with leaves, textures, etc. I tried myself, impossible.

If you dont like doom, just fuck off
we dont need this shit.

Captain Skippy said:

I have a job, but it only gives me about $180 every two weeks.

I still live with my parents even though I am 18 ad going to college (local college), so I am saving money.

I am not relying on my job for money, but instead all the financial aid I got extra that I didn't really need for school since I am not living on campus

next year, when im 15, i can get a job at a grocery store in town here. but, its gonna have to be after football ends, though im not playing this year because of my grades last year.... i keep on growing AHHHH!!!! now im like 5'10", heh

Captain Skippy said:

, and my dad says i have no need for a 3d accelerated card, whata cheap asshole

Yeh son tried to talk me into gettin newest 3d card said "the trees are 3 dimensional, grass etc is greener etc etc"
I told him we had that when I was a kid , it was called PLAYING OUTSIDE :)

I have this!:

Celeron A 300 MZH
8.14 GB IBM HDD
36*CD-ROM speed PIONEER slot-in
17" Monitor
196 MB of RAM
Keytronic Keyboard
Logitech Mouse
Aopen MoterBoard
Aopen Riva TNT2
An old Disk drive
Midi Module
Midi Card
Accton Net Card

And everything runs ok on it!

Guest ChriS

wow, I never expected so many replies...

ChriS said:

wow, I never expected so many replies...

You'll be back: They always come back.

Absolutely.

Took about 5 minutes for me to come across that conclusion and delete it.