Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fodders

censored

May I enquire why my thread about someone hacking doomserv was removed? It was on topic, DOOM , and did not break any rules that I am aware of ??

Apparently hacking is illegal. The thread was probably removed because a few of us were talking about taking matters into our own hands. ie: hacking the hacker. I could prove that the guys who fiddle with their tax returns are actually causing more damage, but the media and courts seem to be obsessed with information crimes. Unfortunately, that attitude seems to have infected Doomworld as well.

Guest Fanatic

Probably because it was turning into a witch hunt.

Hey fod. I know you were/are upset about what happened, but complaining about such things on this forum isn't really constructive. It contributes nothing in the way of a solution to the problem. I suggest you deal with people like that hacker in your own way and leave everyone else out of it. You and other users of DoomServ might also want to look into what it will take to improve security so such events don't happen again in the future.

Fanatic said:

Probably because it was turning into a witch hunt.

Was it you Fanatic? BUUUUUUUURN HIM!

Probably because IPs were exchanged and that's an easy target for anybody to access and cause damage to.

Guest Fanatic
Shaviro said:

Was it you Fanatic? BUUUUUUUURN HIM!

Grow up.

I think it was removed because of you making ridiculous allegations and attempting to start up a flame.

Guest fraggle`

To be frank, I doubt anyone here cares. We dont complain to here every time someone in #doom pisses people off (although if they get banned then they sometimes whine about it). If you have a problem then deal with it. You have ban and "boot" functions on doomserv, I suggest you use them.

Sir Fragsalot said:

Apparently hacking is illegal. The thread was probably removed because a few of us were talking about taking matters into our own hands. ie: hacking the hacker. I could prove that the guys who fiddle with their tax returns are actually causing more damage, but the media and courts seem to be obsessed with information crimes. Unfortunately, that attitude seems to have infected Doomworld as well.

s/hacking/cracking

Lüt said:

Probably because IPs were exchanged and that's an easy target for anybody to access and cause damage to.

I can't see it being the IP being posted was a problem, everyone's IP here is displayed under the name, all you have to do is hover mouse over it

fraggle` said:

To be frank, I doubt anyone here cares. We dont complain to here every time someone in #doom pisses people off (although if they get banned then they sometimes whine about it). If you have a problem then deal with it. You have ban and "boot" functions on doomserv, I suggest you use them.

I was dealing with it, it just pisses me off when children think it's funny to wreck other peoples enjoyment for no reason
And I have no problem with any of the hierarchy here deleting a post if it breaks any rules, was just wondering which.
And the majority of the non-frad community that replied showed me they did care

By the way, if you're interested, the fact that Tom uses a cablemodem which only allows one ISP (i.e. ntl) to be used, combined with the fact that the hacker's ISP wasn't an ntl one, kind of proves that it wasn't him.

I think the main point I was trying to make was that the guy Was making out "he was Tom_" not that IT was Tom_ hence i posted his IP addr with the msg "come on down" "game show catch phrase" :)

Guest Fanatic
Shaviro said:

Get a life.

That was funny.

fodders said:

I can't see it being the IP being posted was a problem, everyone's IP here is displayed under the name, all you have to do is hover mouse over it

Yeah, but that doesn't work in <= Netscape 3. Not that I've used <= Netscape 3 in the past couple of years. I'm into IE now. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

fodders said:

May I enquire why my thread about someone hacking doomserv was removed? It was on topic, DOOM , and did not break any rules that I am aware of ??

The thread was removed because you were making unfounded allegations against someone which, in my opinion at least, only serves to start another 'Doomserv' flamewar like we've seen the previous time. This forum is not the place to fight out a personal vendetta.

fodders said:

Oh, crap, that ain't cool...

Guest fraggle`
fodders said:

I was dealing with it, it just pisses me off when children think it's funny to wreck other peoples enjoyment for no reason
And I have no problem with any of the hierarchy here deleting a post if it breaks any rules, was just wondering which.
And the majority of the non-frad community that replied showed me they did care

more like the other way round i think, no-one here cares except for your silly little group of doomserv elitists. In any case I'm not going to continue this any further. Reply and flame me if you want, I dont care.

Mordeth said:

The thread was removed because you were making unfounded allegations against someone which, in my opinion at least, only serves to start another 'Doomserv' flamewar like we've seen the previous time. This forum is not the place to fight out a personal vendetta.

I didn't SAY it WAS Tom_ I clearly stated the guy was CLAIMING to BE Tom_

fraggle` said:

more like the other way round i think, no-one here cares except for your silly little group of doomserv elitists. In any case I'm not going to continue this any further. Reply and flame me if you want, I dont care.

Good

fodders said:

I didn't SAY it WAS Tom_ I clearly stated the guy was CLAIMING to BE Tom_

"is tom_ such a shit?" yep, clearly not blaming tom there...

Lüt said:

Oh, crap, that ain't cool...

Well if you don't do anything wrong why should you need to hide your IP?

Jon said:

"is tom_ such a shit?" yep, clearly not blaming tom there...

yes and if you can read it says "IS Tom" not "Tom is"
Obviously a hacker kid aint gonna go hacking and say "btw my name is..... duh
I just thought that a) Tom should know and b)the guy doing its IP should be shown

Jon said:

Well if you don't do anything wrong why should you need to hide your IP?

Why do hackers hack people they don't know in the first place? Beats me, but stuff happens. I was usually cautious about giving my direct IP as my security lacks, but, oh well...

Lüt said:

Why do hackers hack people they don't know in the first place? Beats me, but stuff happens. I was usually cautious about giving my direct IP as my security lacks, but, oh well...

Hey, I hope you have at least disabled file and print sharing. If you are on a network I would suggest a firewall and putting a password on you disk drives. 'course none of this guarantees anything really. If someone with extensive knowledge of this sort of thing really wants to get at you he probably will. Security in Windows does indeed suck the big one.