Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest doomgod12345

what is linux??

Guest doomgod12345

ok i know it is a operating system but what is it like. how does it work is it like windows or dos or both, somehow. how does it run how much does it cost and most importantly what doom ports are for it

Linux is an OS based upon UNIX. It's free, and as for the interface, you can get versions with text interfaces or versions with Windows-like interfaces. As for DooM ports, I think that DW has a list of the ones for Linux.

Guest David A

Linux can look like anything basically, but most of the GUI's are either boring Windows wannabes or NeXT Step wannabes...

Guest fraggle`

> ok i know it is a operating system but what is it like.

Linux on its own is purely text-based but you can run X-Window which is a graphical windowing environment (like windows or macos). There are various different environments you can run such as Afterstep (nextstep-like environment) or KDE (which is a lot like ms-windows).

> how does it work is it like windows or dos or both, somehow.

nope its unix, so all the commands are different (eg 'dir' is 'ls') although a lot of dos stuff was copied off of unix so some stuff is the same. You cannot run windows or dos programs in linux although there are programs such as WINE (www.winehq.com) which let you run windows programs in X.

>how does it run

Its like a million times more stable than windows but not as easy to use. If you arent all that experienced with computers then forget it.

> how much does it cost

its totally free and almost all the software is open source (so if something doesnt work in the way you want it to, you can change it). If you want you can buy a CD (which costs money but is usually really cheap)

> and most importantly what >doom ports are for it

Lxdoom and Xdoom are probably the biggest linux doom ports. Most of the major ports also run on linux (Zdoom, legacy, SMMU...)

Some of the major linux distributions:

RedHat Linux (www.redhat.com)
Debian (www.debian.org)
SuSe (www.suse.org)

> how much does it cost

>its totally free

I would say it only seems to be free. You also have to think about the time you have to spent on making and keeping it working.

All those guys who finally noticed that windoze is crap should not waste time. Go and hop over to your local Apple dealer and buy a Macintosh.