Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dream Destroyer

Bobby Prince is a rip off artist.

Guest Dream Destroyer

Boy, I'm just asking for it here, aren't I? hahaha. Well, anyway, too the point. I borrowed my buddy's 1988 Slayer CD entitled "South of Heaven". On this CD, track 4 specifically, a song titled "Behind the Crooked Cross" starts off for the first minute and a half exactly like one of the episode 3 doom songs. Track 1, "South of Heaven". The drums are EXACTLY like the drum parts in one of the Doom 2 songs, and some of the guitar parts are exactly the same. Actually, looking through this whole CD I found components of music that was in Doom. This looks really bad on Bobby Prince's part because Doom came out in '94 and this album came out in '88. Now, I think that Slayer should do the Doom 3 music, because damn it, listening to their music, it just fits Doom perfectly. Which is why Bobby ripped off some core elements.

like we didnt know this already. listen to e1m1 it sounds exactly like the riff from master of puppets, and one other song (i forgetr which one) sounds just like one of the solos from orion ..but then theres no other band better to cover from than best of course i mean metallica

Yeah, your right. But I really don't care, becuase I still think it fits into DooM way better that that crappy Trent's low volume two tune songs. Oops, Imean sounds.

masterhassan said:

like we didnt know this already. listen to e1m1 it sounds exactly like the riff from master of puppets, and one other song (i forgetr which one) sounds just like one of the solos from orion ..but then theres no other band better to cover from than best of course i mean metallica

Don't forgot that the map18 music is Pantera's This Love and the map23 music is Alice in Chain's Them Bones.

Update: I just noticed that the latter part of D_BUNNY sounds VERY similar to AIC's Grind...

BTW, I'm not saying this a good thing. It's actually pretty interesting, and I'm downloading some of these songs in Napster. It's also worth trying to find MIDI versions of the songs too, 'caus then you can compare them even better (so far I've found Them Bones and Angry Chair as MIDs).

Update 2: Pantera's Mouth for War and D_E2M9 / D_E3M1 anyone?

then again how do you know he ripped it off...what if he secretly got all rights of all the songs these groups made and paid money or something like that...then it wouldn't be ripping off...more like borrowing...

Yeah barrels of fun is an Alice in Chains song. But what the hell, its not EXACTLY the same, and besides, it rocks doesn't it???

S./

Guest doomgod12345
NiGHTMARE said:

Don't forgot that the map18 music is Pantera's This Love and the map23 music is Alice in Chain's Them Bones.

Update: I just noticed that the latter part of D_BUNNY sounds VERY similar to AIC's Grind...

BTW, I'm not saying this a good thing. It's actually pretty interesting, and I'm downloading some of these songs in Napster. It's also worth trying to find MIDI versions of the songs too, 'caus then you can compare them even better (so far I've found Them Bones and Angry Chair as MIDs).

Update 2: Pantera's Mouth for War and D_E2M9 / D_E3M1 anyone?

i want to get some of these songs as MIDI format so I can compar them and i will post the findings at my new doom site that i am building. so if u got any of the songs in that format send them in

That was back in the days of DOOM, when Bobby Prince was unable to make his own music. Some people say that DOOM had one of the best video game musical scores ever. I think that's absolutely ridiculous. It is so repetitive, so unimaginitive. He didn't start growing some imagination until Duke Nukem 3D came along.

Guest Dream Destroyer

Boy, you guys all act like I was wining about it. :) I do think that the Doom music does fit really well. It's still got the best soundtrack of any game I know. But still, I think some homage should also go to the artists that he ripped off, which it seems like he was a little too inspired. Weither or not he had the rights is irrelevent, the bottom line is that he did steal or "borrow" riffs from other bands and took credit for them.

AndrewB said:

That was back in the days of DOOM, when Bobby Prince was unable to make his own music. Some people say that DOOM had one of the best video game musical scores ever. I think that's absolutely ridiculous. It is so repetitive, so unimaginitive. He didn't start growing some imagination until Duke Nukem 3D came along.

duke nukem 3d? the music was ok if you could here it. but its all metal (which is my favorite) but doom had variety and REPETITIVE when the fudge was it repetitive? its was dark moody and its what got me into doom.and what keeps me coming back even though my sound doesnt work right now

AndrewB said:

Unable to make his own music? What about Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 2? Both these came out long before Doom did, and they had original Prince music.

Guest Dream Destroyer
masterhassan said:

Actually, the e1m1 music has very little in common with Master of Puppets. It's a very familar riff because many people have use that kind of progression. The master of puppets riff is basically Root then the 5th and it goes up half steps for two notes and the goes back down in half steps to a B-flat. Take Sweet dreams. Very simular progression. Crazy Train, it also has the same kind of progression. So, that is one song you can't critize. Except for the fact that it isn't very original. The songs I mentioned are exact rip offs. I mean, serious, I got tab from a doom midi, and played it along to the Slayer song, and it matched note for note. :) Even the same tempo and shit. It's brutal.

NiGHTMARE said:

Unable to make his own music? What about Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 2? Both these came out long before Doom did, and they had original Prince music.

I said WHEN he was unable to make his own music, not BEFORE he was unable... Duke Nukem 2 was very imaginitive.. As was Wolf3D. Someone when DOOM came along, he became sloppy, and lost all imagination.. Most especially with Doom 2.. I'll show you how he was unimaginitive.. The themes of these levels use the same basic chord progressions...

Pattern 1: Map02, Map03, Map05, Map10,
Pattern 2: Map04, Map06, Map07, Map08, Map18, Map20, Map30, Map31

The basic themes used in pattern two are among the most Mickey Mouse ones around. Not to say that Bobby Prince is a poor music creator (anymore), but during the days of DOOM, he was very off, very unimaginitive. And the idea of recycling old DOOM music for Doom 3, just makes me shake my head.. It was NOT good music!