• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KinkaJoy

Skybox???

Damn.

Damn damn damn.

I swear, I had that idea before they did. Okay, maybe not. I guess Quake/halflife did it first, but I had no experience editing those games, and I thought it was a rather original idea for Doom. I thought "Hey, you know what would be a much better way to render skies? I should get my hands on the Doom source so I can try this out!" And I thought of that exact idea.

That always happens - I think of a cool idea, only to find out that somebody else either thought of it first, or thought of it at the same time. Great minds think alike, I guess. :) I'm definately going to use the Skybox feature in ZDoom.

Heh, and I had the idea for dynamic lighting first. It was late '94, I was gonna write iD about this really awesome idea I had where you could place a 'thing' in a map, and that 'thing' was a light whose level you could set, and it would cast it's own shadows and stuff over the walls and around corners and stuff. I never wrote them. Then Quake came out.

Guest God of Damn

Once I thought of a cool idea were I would create Sin and become the lord of darkness and try to destroy god and use an Antichrist in my plans for total chaos. But then Satan came along, what an asshole I swear I thought of it first.

I know what you mean, I had this awesome idea to construct a sphere consisting of balls of gases and molecules to form what I like to call "planets". Apon these planets there would be little beings that have their own way of acting. I called these specks "numili".

But then someone by the name of God came along and stole my idea for the little life sphere and my beings and re-named them "humans".

Then he turned around and said he didnt copy me! So I couldent file a copyright lawsuit against him. Damn!

Guest God of Damn

Ya everyone thinks God is the creator of all, he gets credit for all my ideas, thats why i was trying to destroy him in the first place.

Lüt said:

Heh, and I had the idea for dynamic lighting first. It was late '94, I was gonna write iD about this really awesome idea I had where you could place a 'thing' in a map, and that 'thing' was a light whose level you could set, and it would cast it's own shadows and stuff over the walls and around corners and stuff. I never wrote them. Then Quake came out.

When I first played Doom I really though those lights were actually giving off light, I didn't think they had to change the lighting in the sectors next to it

what are skyboxes ne way¿ and i knwo what you mean im thinking of starting a band i always have these cool ideas. like a few years ago i had this idea of a metal band with a bagpipe...then i found out korn did the same exact thing, i was like hey they stole my idea befoer i even came up with it...theres gotta be some kind of law against that.

Actually, now that I think of it, I sort of did put a skybox into effect. Just not in Doom.

A long time ago, Back In The Day, I made a QBasic game called QBattle, which was like BattleZone except the level was a grid with hills of variable height. If you were going uphill, the tank tilted upward and you could look at the sky and stuff. It was pretty cool. And I added a little horizon in the background which was always drawn with the same orientation as the player, but in a constant position. Unfortunately, it was far beyond the capabilities of QBasic, and the project never got finished, but the idea was there.

Then I noticed that the skies in Doom are actually way out of perspective (a problem fixed by some source ports, such as JDoom.) There are multiple ways to get a correct-perspective sky (one of which I am eventually going to be using in my Incredibly Crappy Raycaster ( http://www.stas.net/kinkajoy / )) but making a Skybox is the easiest and most flexible way to do it.

Guest Nuno Correia
Lüt said:

id Software are prodigies... They can read your mind!