Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

psx doom stuff

I was wondering if anyone has ported over the playstation only levels of doom, some of them are very awesome! Here are the exclusives:

16 - Hell Gate
17 - Hell Keep (different level than PC version)
29 - Twilight Descends (my favorite level!)
57 - The Marshes (Secret level)
30 - Threshold of Pain (another fave)
58 - The Mansion (another secret level)
59 - Club Doom (yet another secret level)
54 - Redemption Denied (i have this level already!)

Any help would be appreciated. Also, I'm converting over the PSX music as well, but some of the tracks are too long (8 minutes for the first level!). Anyone have any ideas?

Where did you get Redemption Denied? Is there any way I can get it?

:)

Please do. Thanks :) My email address is off to the side under my portrait.

<----------------------------

I love psx doom!-narrated storylines,coulored lighting,REAL atmospheric music,scrolling sky,burning sky,no icon of sin!!!

-how do you get to the secret levels?ive seen em all using cheat codes,but i can only properly get to the military base

I never tried porting the PSX Doom levels, but I did take a shot at the Sega 32X Doom levels. A lot of the levels are slightly similar to the regular Doom levels, but they're heavily modified and simplified (they have some Doom 2 textures in the Doom 1 levels, though!) They also have a few original levels, and some all new graphics.

I was able to find which part of the rom was the embedded WAD file, and I extracted it to a seperate file, but it was big-endian while the original WADs were little-endian (or vice-versa, I don't remember) to comply with the SH-2 processor used on the Sega 32X. I started writing a program which would read through the WAD and fix them, but I never finished it.

Also, if I figure out how, maybe I'll make something that converts the alpha and beta Doom levels to the standard format, so we can play/edit them.

deathbringer said:

I love psx doom!-narrated storylines,coulored lighting,REAL atmospheric music,scrolling sky,burning sky,no icon of sin!!!

-how do you get to the secret levels?ive seen em all using cheat codes,but i can only properly get to the military base

go to this site:

http://members.aol.com/ledmeister/index.htm

it has all of the info you could ever want for both the pc and console versions of doom. click on the doomhelp link for the secrets.

Guest Ike the Killer
elbryan42 said:

Also, I'm converting over the PSX music as well, but some of the tracks are too long (8 minutes for the first level!). Anyone have any ideas?

Could I get Redemption Denied too? I think my E-Mail's linked. If not, it's Ike654@aol.com

I think I heard somewhere that the wad's on the PSX and Saturn CD's were identical format as the PC wads, but that the resource names were changed, or something with their capitalization or something. I've tried opening one off my Saturn CD, but I don't remember what happened. Haven't tried with the PSX, as I didn't play that as much as the Saturn or Jag versions.

If someone was to try to make a converter for it, they'd have to worry about the colored ambiant lighting. I'm almost positive that those are handeled by means of sector specials (like, imo, they should be handleld anyways, not by linking some line-def to a sector). Even if they're not, then the line-def's linking to them would have special flags so that they couldn't even be seen in the PSX equivilant of "iddt".

As for the music, I've tried to convert the title song to midi, but I gave up (then again, that was a long time ago, before I discovered CakeWalk...). The other's are impossible to convert to MIDI since they use special ambiant sounds, like cool monster roars. But, if you can get your hands on the Saturn version, then you could make MP3's of ALL the music tracks, not just the 5 or 6 on the PSX cd (there's like 20 or so tracks!)