Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest doomgod12345

new computer

Guest doomgod12345

ok i was wondering wich is better mac or PC, personaly i feel PC is far better than mac, mac i think is a bit behind and u can not do as much with them, macs are good for first time users but for us vets we should go with a nice new PC with LINUX and all kinds of good shit on it. but i also have a older mac system at my moms i also want to know what ports for doom are for it.

Guest pickle_hammer

MACS SUCK!!!!!!!!! BAD EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER BUY A MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE 100's OF REASONS OF WHY SO DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macs are not only for Moms or Grannys
Of course you can also get "all kinds of good shit" for a Mac.
You cannot take an old Mac from 1988 and compare it with the newest PC.
A user-friendly computer is not automatically a greenhorn-machine. When I started with Dos in PC-emulation on my Mac I had no problems at all. I would like to say that enjoying a horror-OS like Windoze does not proofs the user to be a tough guy but shows that he is pretty masochistic (since there is an alternative).
There is the newest Legacy Doom port for the Mac, still in alpha-version.
Using Linux means not automatically being a "Computer-Guru", I installed Linux in one hour on my Mac with no problems and it worked. But it sucked and looked like windoze.
PCs have a terrible, unsecure file-system (no binary-tree!), a lousy architecture and are, when it comes to comparison, always on the second place.
There are hundreds reasons to buy a Mac, so go buy one! Or better: Buy a Mac and run Linux AND MacOS on it - with ease and SUCCESS (and of course you can also keep your PC for playing the ports which are not available for the Mac at this moment - not yet)

5th. update (Oh, I find so much in your post...):

"for us vets": Not every Mac-user started with an iMac, personally I started with an Apple II, than bought the first Macs but never ever thought about hopping over to Wintel.

:-)

6.th. update: Go to the site of the Master John Romero (Planet Romero) and look how he loves the new Apple G4 Cube. BTW: Most actual games for PCs were developed on Macs.

pickle_hammer said:

MACS SUCK!!!!!!!!! BAD EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER BUY A MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE 100's OF REASONS OF WHY SO DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did it feel good?
:-)

Guest David_A

Mac's are really cool machines, but they're kinda expensive... If you're buying a gaming machine I think a PC would do a better job (ie, more games). Apple should hopefully start shipping PowerMac's with a better gfx card than a Rage128 soon, which would make it a whole lot more attractive from a gaming point of view. I can't wait to see Q3's scores running on a dual-cpu G4 with osX and a Radeon:)

Guest fraggle`
Peter Heinemann said:

i believe after steve jobs (apples founder) left apple he set up a company selling machines called NeXT machines. doom was developed on these :)

oh btw, linux doesnt "look like windoze". linux on its own is a text-mode screen. You have confused linux with whatever UI you were running, which was probably KDE or Gnome. Believe me, you can run environments which look at lot cooler than these two pieces of crap.

Hello Simon,
yes, Steve Jobs tried his luck in making hardware. I still own one of the so-called "Next-Cubes", beautifully black from top to toe. It measures exactly 1 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot and is made of die-cast magnesium. When Apple recently presented their G4 Cube, it looked very familiar to me (hah, they did not invent the CUBE!. The Next-hardware quitted with the floppy-drive before Apple felt free to discontinue this (obsolete?) media. My cube was sold with a magneto-optical drive.
The Cubes and Colour-Stations (flat like pizza-boxes) were the finest hardware these days. The keyboard feels like made massive, very good craftsmanship. The mouses also were fantastic built. The philosophy was that a Next housing should see many mainboard-upgrades. Unfortunately Next discontinued their own hardware in 1993.

But their NextStep/OpenStep OS lives on.

Linux: Yes, I know that Linux is a text-based OS like (sorry for this comparison) Dos, and yes, my Linux was setup with KDE. KDE appears very slow to me, but I guess most people who are talking about Linux are using KDE or sort of.

I saw also twm. What GUI would you recommend? It should be compatible with a PPC-Linux type (R4 or R5) since I use Macintosh.

Guest fraggle`

For me, the power of a Unix system such as linux relies not only in the stability of the system but in the flexibility and power of the command line and the well-designed underlying structure of the system. If you want my honest opinion, Linux should not be considered as a 'windows alternative' but as a different type of system altogether. As a mac user, you probably arent used to command lines but to really use the system and understand its advantages you have to learn to. I use X but mainly to run multiple terminal (command line) windows (of course I do run _some_ other X stuff: web browsers, text editors etc.)

twm is a very very basic Window Manager (probably the most basic you can find :). I generally run WindowMaker which offers a few more options than twm and offers you a lot of customisability. It is also quite fast. In general linux source code will probably compile on most platforms, so getting it to compile for your PPC version shouldnt be a problem. There are plenty of themes available from wm.themes.org

Guest fraggle`

btw, check out a screenshot of my old desktop:

http://fraggle.alkali.org/img/sshot2.png