Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Purp

GBA DooM Stuff

I've had the Game Boy Advance version of Doom since Christmas, but I've rarely played it, and I've just thought of something. Can you play "Thy Flesh Consumed" on it if you complete the first three episodes or is that PC Ultimate Doom exclusive?

Also, does anyone else think that they should release PWAD cartridges? I'm sure they'd be possible if you were to put the extra cartridges in first and then replace them with the Doom (or Doom 2 when it comes out) cartridges.

One last thing. Is the GBA version of Wolfenstein 3D worth getting? Does it have all 6 episodes on it?

MaTT [TiK] said:
I've had the Game Boy Advance version of Doom since Christmas, but I've rarely played it, and I've just thought of something. Can you play "Thy Flesh Consumed" on it if you complete the first three episodes or is that PC Ultimate Doom exclusive?

It's on PSX Doom IIRC so I can't say it's PC exclusive but it's not in the GBA version. The GBA version is based off of the Jaguar port.

If they were smart they would've based it off of PRBoom or something... the 32 bit code would've been there (the main reason they probably used the Jaguar version) and it would've had the bugfixes and optimizations.

Also, does anyone else think that they should release PWAD cartridges? I'm sure they'd be possible if you were to put the extra cartridges in first and then replace them with the Doom (or Doom 2 when it comes out) cartridges.

If they wanted to do such a thing they would've made a piggy back style cartridge like Sonic & Knuckles, but keep in mind the cartridge is constantly tapped to be bringing in textures and animations so a swap system is probably a really bad idea.

One last thing. Is the GBA version of Wolfenstein 3D worth getting? Does it have all 6 episodes on it?

I hear it does. I suppose it's worth getting if you like Wolf3D, but there's no rocket launcher or anything. Elbryan is the man to ask about this shit. =)

Oh, sorry Lament, I'll change it in a minute.

And thanks deadnail. Oh yeah, I forgot about it needing to use the cartridge constantly, and I forgot about cartridges like Sonic & Knuckles (I've got that game on the Mega Drive, or Genesis as it's called in the USA). When I said about swapping the cartridges, I was thinking of GTA London on the PSX, but I know why it's different with cartridges.

yes the GBA wolf3d is worth getting. it is the complete original PC version. all the levels and episodes are there. sadly i have misplaced my wolf3d game pack. as for the rocket luncher, that was not part of the original PC version. i thing that is from a hacked up version for the SNES, plus i belive that version cut out the fact that u was fighting nazis

Sephiroth said:

yes the GBA wolf3d is worth getting. it is the complete original PC version. all the levels and episodes are there. sadly i have misplaced my wolf3d game pack. as for the rocket luncher, that was not part of the original PC version. i thing that is from a hacked up version for the SNES, plus i belive that version cut out the fact that u was fighting nazis

Right, thanks. LOL, a rocket launcher in Wolf3d? Doesn't cutting out the nazis completely change the game?

Cut out the Nazis???

Wouldnt the entire plot require rewriting? You couldnt even call it Wolfenstein anymore. Someone go download the rom and check it out.

Heh, I think they just took all the swastikas and other Nazi imagery off the walls.

Lüt said:

Heh, I think they just took all the swastikas and other Nazi imagery off the walls.

Actually I'm pretty sure they didn't.

deadnail said:

It's on PSX Doom IIRC so I can't say it's PC exclusive but it's not in the GBA version. The GBA version is based off of the Jaguar port.

If they were smart they would've based it off of PRBoom or something... the 32 bit code would've been there (the main reason they probably used the Jaguar version) and it would've had the bugfixes and optimizations.

If they wanted to do such a thing they would've made a piggy back style cartridge like Sonic & Knuckles, but keep in mind the cartridge is constantly tapped to be bringing in textures and animations so a swap system is probably a really bad idea.

I hear it does. I suppose it's worth getting if you like Wolf3D, but there's no rocket launcher or anything. Elbryan is the man to ask about this shit. =)

but if they based it off of prboom theyd have to gpl it right? iirc prboom is gpl.

I know for a fact that in SNES Wolf 3D enemies just disappear rather than die. Whether or not this will happen in the GBA version isn't yet clear...

NiGHTMARE said:

I know for a fact that in SNES Wolf 3D enemies just disappear rather than die. Whether or not this will happen in the GBA version isn't yet clear...

Hmm...the SNES Wolf 3d rom I played the enemies died they just didn't bleed.

Man'O'war said:

I don't have gba either! what is this household coming to?

What was it coming to before?

Sorry for the wait. I worked all night. :P

Any questions about GBA Doom? Read my review on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/review/R28752.html

Please note an error in it. "I Sawed the Demons" is in the game, "Hiding the Secrets" is the missing track. Everything is mentioned in my review.

As for GBA Wolf3D, it IS the original PC version. All levels, enemies and weapons are all in there. The extra stuff from Second Encounter (for the SNES, Jaguar, 3DO, and Mac) like the backpacks, ammo crates, rocket launchers, sceptres (new treasure), and flame throwers are not included. The only thing that's missing is the music. No music whatsoever. The animation is slightly choppy, but it's still playable. It runs as fast as PC Wolf3D on a Pentium or more (full speed). The enemies are about twice as fast as the PC version, which makes the game slightly tougher, which is a plus.

The controls are completely intact. With the only complaint being that you can't run and strafe at the same time, since you hold strafe left and right to run. Also, weapon changing (with select) is SUPER sensitive.

Any other questions about the game are answered by looking at the PC version of Wolf3D.

Second Encounter is a "greatest hits" version of Wolf3D. The SNES version is the only edited/censored version. It has 30 of the 60 original Wolf3D levels with slight alterations. It has 3 bosses from Wolf3D: Hans Grosse, Dr. Shabbs, and Hitler. It also has 3 bosses from Spear of Destiny: Trans Grosse, Death Knight, and Ubermutant. It's in beautiful hi-res (except for the SNES version), awesome new voices and sound effects (except the chaingun sounds like popcorn), and new weapons and items (mentioned before). No point system, but every 50 items (treasures) gives you an extra life.

The SNES version was censored for Nazis, Swastikas, and Crosses. You fought against the Master State, as opposed to the Nazis. All german is gone too. Hitler's mustache is missing, and has a new name (forgot the name. :P).

Hope that helps.

Heh, that SNES version sounds strange. The GBA version sounds good so I might as well get it. I'll probably never play it, since I hardly ever play the other GBA game I've got, Doom, plus I never play the PC version of Wolf 3D, but nevermind. One last question: can you set autorun on GBA Wolf3d? You should be able to, since you can in GBA Doom.

well yea i forgot to say no music, but that dont bother me. also for some odd reason when ever a large number( 5 or more) spirits are on the screen the game slows down a ton. that is its minus cause that is a major bug that should have been fixed. yet overall i give it a 90% so get ur ass a copy, hell it got higher (with my rateing) than doom

Never played the 6th ep all the way thru yet, but is the bug still in there that if there's too many sprites on screen they stop showing up?

I completed episode 1 of Wolf3d years ago (and can't remember what the hell it was about), but at the time that's all I had (the shareware version). But the other day I found the compilation CD it was on and decided to install it, to help me decide whether it was worth getting the GBA version. I now have all 6 episodes because I bought :) the full game the other day, so once I've played at least a bit of all of them, I'll decide for sure whether or not to get the GBA version. I think I will get it.