Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

What's happened to the Doom community?

I've noticed a subtle change over the past few months. A tonne of "newbie Quake llamas" (I'm not going to name names here) have come along and now act like they own the place.

This wouldn't be so bad, ask the same stupid questions over and over again, and when they actually have something to say about a subject, chances are someone else already said it a few days ago.

The Doom 3 forum is particularly bad for the latter (and in particular Jeremy - oops I wasn't going to name names, oh well).

Also, check out the news on Doomworld. It is very rare these days to get an update about somebody's personal page. Why? No, not because Ling is a lazy basrad, but because they either don't exist or they simply aren't updated (uh yeah, I know NH hasn't been updated forever, but uni is rather more important).

There are only a few decent Doomer's pages these days, everything else seems to be for projects or whatever. Of course there's alkali.org, but the guys don't generally talk about Doom that much.

Ironically, it's probably actually these forums that's led to the death of the Doomer's homepage...

Guest Dream Destroyer

Are you being sarcastic?

Jeremy said:

Fuck you.

Wow, that just because I said that most of the time the things you say have already been said?

Shaviro said:

Uhmm! Theres loads of personal pages out there!

I can think of only four that are updated reasonably often, namely Kurt Kesler's, Sam Woodman's, Frederik Johansson's and Christian Hansen's.

Nearly all other regularly updated sites are about projects, reviews or demos (boring!) rather than the people and what they've been up to Doom-wise themselves

NiGHTMARE said:

I can think of only four that are updated reasonably often, namely Kurt Kesler's, Sam Woodman's, Frederik Johansson's and Christian Hansen's.

Nearly all other regularly updated sites are about projects, reviews or demos (boring!) rather than the people and what they've been up to Doom-wise themselves

I think people that actually _do work_ on projects (like, not me... but carnevil for example) would rather update about their progress in the project rather than their personal progress. Of course, I'm probably wrong.

mewse it up!

Guest Nuno Correia
Jeremy said:

Fuck you.

If you were offended by Nightmare's post, I guess you are a newbie Quake llama.

Guest Dream Destroyer
Jeremy said:

Fuck you.

"Flame me, see if I care." Looks like somebody does care.. Eh, Jer? You care..... hahahaha.

I have not even looked into the Doom 3 section yet - because I am simply not interested in any other game but Doom/DoomII. Polygon games are looking so bad, compared with good old Doom.
Sometimes, I feel also sick of Quake/Soldiers of Fortune/Unreal questions and comparisions here. But those newbies or SOF-lowers should not simply flamed away, maybe we can convert them into real Space-Marines...

Guest Phoqus
mewse said:

I think people that actually _do work_ on projects (like, not me... but carnevil for example) would rather update about their progress in the project rather than their personal progress. Of course, I'm probably wrong.

mewse it up!

Well I've been playing doom I and II on lan since it came out, and I still do, but next to that I play quake (also for a long time now). Does that make me a newbie quake llama?

A "newbie Quake llama" is someone who previously was obsessed with Quake (and probably slammed Doom as well) and has only come to Doom because of all the source ports.

I'm sorry. If I'm the one you're 'not naming', then I'm sorry, but I'd like Doomworld, as one of my favourite sites , to be as good a place to be for a long OR short time DOOMer. For the record, I'm new to the scene, but been playing DOOM for years, now.

You may NOT have meant me, but I delt I had to apologise for at least trying to instigate a little respect for us poor llamas.

Guest Phoqus
NiGHTMARE said:

A "newbie Quake llama" is someone who previously was obsessed with Quake (and probably slammed Doom as well) and has only come to Doom because of all the source ports.

K, that leaves me out than, I've never pissed at doom.