Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Alternative attacks for enemies

I've thought of a number of these, and I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas. Don't limit them to what can be done in the Doom engine or any of the ports, or to the current frames the enemies have. This is theoretical only :)

Imp - Throws a fireball at the ground, and it bounces up again. Dunno what the point would be, but it would look kinda cool :)

Revenant - Instead of swinging, does an uppercut that knocks you into the air (like the Arch-Vile fire)

Baron - Throws a spread of three or four fireballs, sort of like the Hell Lord in STRAIN.

Arch-Vile - Sends a wall of flame towards you, but it can only go a short distance.

Cyberdemon - Fires a rocket into the ceiling, trying to knock debris down on you.

Guest David A

I had this idea about the Mancubus for a long time... Like, instead of just boring fireballs they launch big globs of burning liquid (which is a little more realistic). The fire would of course leave a big trail along the ground before it splashes on what ever it's aiming at.

<< big globs of burning liquid >>

Do you perhaps mean napalm? That would be cool :)

David A said:

I had this idea about the Mancubus for a long time... Like, instead of just boring fireballs they launch big globs of burning liquid (which is a little more realistic). The fire would of course leave a big trail along the ground before it splashes on what ever it's aiming at.

Kinda like the Maulotaurs in Heretic?

Guest David A
NiGHTMARE said:

<< big globs of burning liquid >>

Do you perhaps mean napalm? That would be cool :)

More or less, yeah. Maybe thermite:)

Lüt:

Didn't they basically just shoot a fireball at ground level that left a trail? The effect I'm talking about is much more... I don't know, bigger:)

..like in nightmare squad, that flametrower truly rox, just unload some all over the level and then ignite it... ;)

David A said:

Didn't they basically just shoot a fireball at ground level that left a trail? The effect I'm talking about is much more... I don't know, bigger :)

Yeah, that is pretty much it, I was just wondering if you meant it could be based off a similar code; the same effect but as an air trail that falls to the ground and splashes/leaves burn marks.

Heh, interesting ideas. A couple of them can be done in Dehacked, actually. For instance, the uppercut Revenent I think you could do by setting it's close range attack to the Archvile attack, and the Baron could be done by making it have the Mancubus attack only have no delay between each of the firing frames which shoots fireballs in different directions so that they look like they all got shot out at the same time. Weird Imp idea, though, I think somebody's been playing to much Super Mario Brothers lately. I personally have always wanted to have bigger explosions, for instance like Independence Day where the alien laser sets off a huge explosion which spreads outward and destroys everything. That would be awesome in a level, or at least something like in Batman DOOM where a wall of explosions is triggered when you destroy the Axis Chemical plant which goes outward forcing you to run to the Batmobile.

Guest superunknown26
David A said:

Hmm... back when all I had was dehacked, I designed a weapon that caused the ground to erupt away from the player in a straight line for a certain distance... but it went through walls until it reached it's max distance. Maybe I can recreate this now without this setback?

Hmm, I think the idea of alternative/varied attacks are good, although I don't like your suggestions a whole lot to be honest...

Alternative attacks for enemies, kinda like Alternative flames for Jeremy? Oh wait, what am I talking aboot..