Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest doomgod12345

Win 3.1 and DOS

Guest doomgod12345

ok i know this is off topic but are they freeware or not. can u download DOS or WIn 3.1 anyware

Guest Duke Nukem

Trust me! You DO NOT want 3.11. i have it upstairs and well.......i need to upgrade like now. It is the biggest crap you can get. Win95 i suggest if you find it.

Guest David A

There's a couple of free DOS versions, just not any made by MS... Cadera OpenDOS comes to mind, and I think there's one called FreeDOS too.

If you are looking for a free operating system, anything by Microsoft is not what you are after.

Any operating system made by Microsoft has never been nor ever will be freeware. No matter how old it is.

Guest doomgod12345
Duke Nukem said:

Trust me! You DO NOT want 3.11. i have it upstairs and well.......i need to upgrade like now. It is the biggest crap you can get. Win95 i suggest if you find it.

i know, i was just wondering if the have been made freeware considering their age. i am geting linux any way

Guest Daemoneon

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to Linux, depending upon which Linux software manufacturer you will be purchasing from. Linux is a very good os, but don't expect to jump in and install all of your games. There really isn't any such thing as an "executable" file for Linux, it's Unix-based, it uses files that aren't even remotely useful for dos/windows, and vice-versa. Expect to have to buy many of your dos/windows games over again for Linux. (Sob, sob, so Linux isn't the savior of the os world, it's still a damn-good alternative to the MS-money machine).

Duke Nukem said:

No way, 3.1x was the most stable, fast and reliable version of Windows ever made. Unfortunately nothing today supports it, but if I could get drivers to make my new hardware run in 6.22/3.11, I would jump back immediately. Ever since 3.1, the latest Microsoft Windows "upgrades" have been downgrades. Sure, 95 would be a good update if you throw an extra 50 MHz and 16 MB RAM onto your machine to try and keep it running at the same speed it would otherwise. 98 moreso. And 2000 and ME are just a joke.

Daemoneon said:

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to Linux, depending upon which Linux software manufacturer you will be purchasing from. Linux is a very good os, but don't expect to jump in and install all of your games. There really isn't any such thing as an "executable" file for Linux, it's Unix-based, it uses files that aren't even remotely useful for dos/windows, and vice-versa. Expect to have to buy many of your dos/windows games over again for Linux. (Sob, sob, so Linux isn't the savior of the os world, it's still a damn-good alternative to the MS-money machine).

If you get a linux version of a Doom port, you can use the same iwad files that are used for the Windows and Dos versions. You can use pwad files too. So he won't have to buy Doom all over again. That's the most important thing :)

Guest Ahab

why in heavens name would you want to download DOS or Windows 3.1? Windows 98 is the best you can get. Besides I thought that DOS was already installed into the computer.

Bah, humbug!