Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AngelOfDeath

Windows ME

Ask 'em to install Windows 2000 on it. It will cost you more but it will be worth it. Failing that, format that sucker as soon as you get it home and install Win95. Hell even Win 98 is preferable (not by much though).

I read that Windows ME has no Dos. Can I still play ZDoom?

Where did you read that? It has a command prompt just like 98 does. It's just in 'Accesories' in the Start Menu.

I have WinME, and I have no problems with it. Before you curse it and install something else, at least give it a go.
One thing I do like about it is that it comes with a reasonable version of DirectX (7.0a) already installed!!
I think 98 came with DX 4 or 5 installed.

Windows ME sux0rz

Windows ME SUX0rz? You obviously haven't tried Windows HER, every couple of weeks it starts to leak out red stuff and nag at me and fry the hard drive with its insesant lack of STFU skillz.

Where did you read that? It has a command prompt just like 98 does. It's just in 'Accesories' in the Start Menu.

That's just a command prompt, an alternate way of viewing folders and files; there is no DOS support in WindowsME.

Windows ME sux0rz

Windows ME SUX0rz? You obviously haven't tried Windows HER, every couple of weeks it starts to leak out red stuff and nag at me and fry the hard drive with its insesant lack of STFU skillz.

ROFL

It's funny... most of my friends have WinME and they've been having all sorts of problems from day one, eventually having to reinstall Win95 / Win98. I, on the other hand, have been running it for almost a year without any real problems (apart from the usual Windows suX0rage).

That's just a command prompt, an alternate way of viewing folders and files; there is no DOS support in WindowsME.

Yeah, but he can still run ZDoom from it.
Anyway, Why doesn't he just run the Windows Version?

Beware of Windows ME's restore utility.If you happen to pick up a virus and don't catch it in time, the next time Windows saves to it's restore archive, it saves the virus with it! You can't delete the archive files in the normal way because they are protected. You have to go through Control Panel>System>Performance>File System.
Set the amount of space for System Restore to zero and reboot. this clears the virus. It also clears out all the restore info so you won't be able to restore for a while

MS: "This behaviour is by design"

You have designed ME to archive viruses and protect them from from being removed by anti-virus programmes?

MS: Err, no

So it's a bug then?

MS:No, it's an inevitable consequence of our design philosophy

Is your philosophy to protect viruses from destruction?

MS:Of course not

So what are you going to do about it?

MS:Nothing, it's not a bug

windowsME has no DOS! i hate it for that reason. DOS is good for dooming. IF u have windowsME and want to play plain old doom it must be v1.9. however i would just use a port because it fixes things and has advantages over plain doom, like the nasty visplane overflow is gone.