Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man'O'war

has anyone here seen dm with low gravity?

My 2c worth - there is no point to low gravity unless the player is allowed to jump. In a few wads it makes sense and is a welcome change of pace. All of the original doom/doom2 wads are made to be played without jumping, that's fine. But newer wads can be made which allow the player to jump and again it is a welcome change of pace...not to jump continuously all over, but just to add something more to the play in a few places. It should not be bothersome or annoying. If jumping did not provide additional entertainment, it would not have been a feature of the top-notch fps games which followed doom2, such as Duke Nukem, Blood and Shadow Warrior.

I'd only ask that people don't insist on acceptance of a "fact" that jumping sucks or whatever. There is no such "fact". It's all a matter of personal preference. The only fact is that some wads are made without jumping in mind and use of jump can short circuit the wad designer's intentions.

Off the top of my head, a cool non jumping but low gravity wad would look like two high , and I mean VERY high pillars you respawn onto, picking up a DB and walk off the end together, shooting at one another, the low grav would make the drop last a long time? Mid air DM, perhaps drop onto small ledges with a weapon on it, and step off again, or floating weapons to pick up on the way down. You would have to go into a teleport on the ground, other player into second teleport, or a fast lift and you hit a switch, when other guy hits switch it sends you both to the top at same time

Ok, thanks biffy.

Fodders, are those just ideas or have you actually seen them? I like the first one best but I think it'd be cool if the drop was MASSIVE and falling damage was turned on. That way, the players all comit suicide very slowly and try to take out as many people as possible as they fall. Now I have the ZDoom config file for Wad Author, I might try and make a map like that. It would be shit though. LOL, ask Inferno(/Hell Knight/whatever his name is now) about my attempts at wad authoring.

my 2c, low gravity introduces an extreme vertical element, and a full mlook is required (full meaning not skewed, full looking as is only doable with GL ports). even then, the doom physics engine is not particularly good with extremely vertical fist/saw/pistol/sg/ssg/chaingun shots. so i would leave the lowgrav play to the real 3d games.

reminds me of a ~10 person quake1sw (we were poor) lanparty, lowgrav on that episode selector map (entryway maybe? but not e1m1, the episode selector map). tons of fun, too bad i pwned everyone seriously.

legacy deathmatch with no gravity is FUN. espicalley if you and a bunch of friends hop into a LARGE hole (say -15000 floor level) and then your shot. watch yourself float down to the ground.