Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man'O'war

which is hardest enemy to kill?

Which Doom Enemy is Hardest to Kill?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Doom Enemy is Hardest to Kill?

• Cyberdemon
    • Spidermastermind
    • Archvile
    • Aracnotron
    • Revenent
    • Imp
    • Pain Elemental
    • Baron of Hell
    • Hell Knight
    • Cacodemon

cybie? spidermastermind? aracnatron? imp? revenent? archy? whatever enemy you think is hardest to kill

i think that most people are gonna pick cybie but the pain elemental can kill you first. i mean, it shoots out them annoying little lost souls and hurt. the cybie takes a lot of ammo yes, but you can dodge the rockets! you can't dodge 10 lost souls!

Man'O'war said:

you can't dodge 10 lost souls!

My hairy ass you can't, work those goddamned strafe fingers boi

Liam the Bard said:

My hairy ass you can't, work those goddamned strafe fingers boi

not if you're in a little room with the PE, armed, say, with a pistol...

As to the toughest monster problem, I would say everything depends on the environment. In a big open space with nowhere to hide, archviles and spider masterminds are really scary. Indeed, a spider mastermind WILL kill you, unless you have the BFG. In a maze of narrow passages, everything is different, PE become harder, archviles become easier, etc.

In any case, the poll is totally broken, because Chaingunner is not even on there. And that's what I would vote for. Sure, they're not hard to kill, but they are such a bitch. They and the shotgunners. Play kdoom's wads to see what I mean - he has some fetish with the zombies.

I hate packs of revenants in open terrain and I can't handle cybies if I don't have any cover to dodge behind.

Little Faith said:

I hate packs of revenants in open terrain and I can't handle cybies if I don't have any cover to dodge behind.

you suck then :) I suggest you practice then. Make a level with one big room, a cyberdemon, tons of shotgun ammo, and a SSG. Now proceed to blast the fucker at close range, circlestrafing to dodge the rockets. Try not to move more than necessary.
For inspiration, see xit-vono's E2M8 tyson demo.

hmm...this is a pretty good poll, and I can't make up my mind...

I agree with Lament (wow!). Arch-vili are hard to kill in a big field or any large open space (i.e: MAP116, MAP20), and unless you have an energy weapon, it's hard. However, in tight spaces (MAP11, MAP28, MAP29) you can blast them with the SSG and watch them cringe.

Revenents have always creeped me out, ever since that hidden room in MAP06, their battle cries and their attacks always scare me. Their fireballs can hone in on you from a long ways, and in tight spaces they pack a boney punch. I usually take 'em out with plasma rifle.

Cyberdemons: circle-strafe with rockets. 'nuff said.

Little Faith said:

Ok revenants I might be able to understand, but a cybie in open terrain?
Dude, that's like the easiest way to kill the fucker - it's far worse when battling the cybie in close quarters.

Well, in open areas, the Archie's the biggest bitch together with the SM, but in close quarters, I'd say cybie hands down.

PE, is piss easy in close quarters - just go behind cover and take pot shots at it at close range with the db shotty.

dsm said:

Ok revenants I might be able to understand, but a cybie in open terrain?
Dude, that's like the easiest way to kill the fucker - it's far worse when battling the cybie in close quarters.

Well, in open areas, the Archie's the biggest bitch together with the SM, but in close quarters, I'd say cybie hands down.

PE, is piss easy in close quarters - just go behind cover and take pot shots at it at close range with the db shotty.

Ph33r my lack of strafing skills.

Of course Cybies are a nightmare in close quarters. But I would rather face three cybies in a courtyard with pillars to dodge behind than one cybie in a complete empty arena.

if you're trapped in a room with X weapons and one enemy of a given type, it's the cyberdemon or spiderdemon (depending on weaponry and cover). Archie and pain elemental might be a bit harder if they are placed in a sinister way together with other enemies though.

my bad. i now think that spidermastermind is the hardest to kill because its just like a chaingunner but has a lot more strength. the only disadvantage is that it needs a lot more space. but i think the strength makes up for it.

Little Faith said:

But I would rather face three cybies in a courtyard with pillars to dodge behind than one cybie in a complete empty arena.

You're crazy...

Alright, instead of just concentraiting on one, you'd have them sneaking up one you. That would require even more strafing skills!

Little Faith said:

Ph33r my lack of strafing skills.

Of course Cybies are a nightmare in close quarters. But I would rather face three cybies in a courtyard with pillars to dodge behind than one cybie in a complete empty arena.

dude it would increase your strafing skills and also the cybie shoot rockets right? so they would blow up on a pillar next to you and you would get hurt by the explosion too!

Doom II Guy said:

Wy is imp on the list? If you can't easily deafeat an imp...

because imps are beastly.

I agree with DSM :

Narrow Passages (like my arse) - Cyberdemon
Open Areas - Spider Mastermind and Arch-Vile

10 Archviles surround you in a dark, tiny corner = you, sir, are dead-meat!

Little Faith said:

One cyberdemon surrounds you in a dark corner: You, sir, are dead meat!

Yeah, I guess by the time one cyberdemon surrounds you, it's already too late...

Little Faith said:

One cyberdemon surrounds you in a dark corner: You, sir, are dead meat!

Not really, cyberdemon is a bit slow compared to our speedy wallrunning, if you could escape.

Little Faith said:

But I would rather face three cybies in a courtyard with pillars to dodge behind than one cybie in a complete empty arena.

Heh. Click the hyphen in my name in my sig, then.

*on a completely unrelated note*
How could you like the Pirates Archvile? Oh, and it's terrible about Darryl Kile, I just found out on Sportscenter this morning.

Doom II Guy said:

*on a completely unrelated note*
How could you like the Pirates Archvile?

Uh...maybe because I'm from Pittsburgh? It's better than liking the Yankees or some other gay team that spends money and wins all the time.

Oh, and it's terrible about Darryl Kile, I just found out on Sportscenter this morning.

Yeah, that's just awful. I was watching the Red Sox/Dodgers game on Saturday afternoon when they broke off to Chicago for the announcement.