Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Why is VPO good?

I _tried_ to post this message a couple of days ago, but I was completely misunderstood, so I'll try again.

Why do some people like being stuck with having to worry about VPO and HOM when making levels when they can just say "this WAD will run with any source port except doom2.exe"?

Do not talk about Boom/Edge/ZDoom only features. They are irrelevant to my question (I'm simply talking about limit removal/raising).

Hope that's clear enough.

Well... Maybe because some people prefer the good old doom. Nostalgic reasons mostly! But i don't really see the reason in staying with Vanilla DooM when you have the exact same feeling to the other source ports like ZDooM. It has more options and blah blah. Maybe they don't like the change that's happening to DooM....

Maybe because people like me hate to download a new level, get ready to fire it up and find out it "only" works with zdoom, boom, or any of the other ports out there. The much touted "10 sector wad" was a shining example of this, which would only work with Boom. Since i can't get Boom to run on my comp a handful of possibly very nice levels became unplayable. Now if every wad was made to run on plain old vanilla Doom you could choose how you wish to run your game. Not that i'm saying there shouldn't be port specific games because i've played a few really nice zdoom levels out there.
Or maybe vpo's and homs are good because it's much more challenging to create a wad that runs fine on good old vanilla Doom but looks beautiful with a port.
Oh well, just my opinion :)

Guest Dream Destroyer

Maybe you should try Prboom.

Shaviro said:

Well... Maybe because some people prefer the good old doom. Nostalgic reasons mostly! But i don't really see the reason in staying with Vanilla DooM when you have the exact same feeling to the other source ports like ZDooM. It has more options and blah blah. Maybe they don't like the change that's happening to DooM....

I could really care less for the latest floor-over-floor innovations. Skyboxes now too, I believe. Scripting I thought was OK. Might as well just go get a Quake2 editor. It's like trying to keep up with having the most recent computer - why bother?

I make all my levels on the standard Doom2.exe, then test them after in Zdoom. (it's the only port I have) That way, pretty much anyone will be able to play them.

Apart from that, If someone wants to make a level for ZDoom, cos he/she can do some cool effects with it, then let them. You can't really just tell everyone that all levels HAVE to work with Doom2.exe. It wouldn't happen.

Zigmund said:

Maybe because people like me hate to download a new level, get ready to fire it up and find out it "only" works with zdoom, boom, or any of the other ports out there. The much touted "10 sector wad" was a shining example of this, which would only work with Boom. Since i can't get Boom to run on my comp a handful of possibly very nice levels became unplayable. Now if every wad was made to run on plain old vanilla Doom you could choose how you wish to run your game. Not that i'm saying there shouldn't be port specific games because i've played a few really nice zdoom levels out there.
Or maybe vpo's and homs are good because it's much more challenging to create a wad that runs fine on good old vanilla Doom but looks beautiful with a port.
Oh well, just my opinion :)

But I'm talking about levels that will run with everything except doom.exe / doom2.exe, not Edge/ZDoom/Skull Tag only levels.

Lüt said:

I could really care less for the latest floor-over-floor innovations. Skyboxes now too, I believe. Scripting I thought was OK. Might as well just go get a Quake2 editor. It's like trying to keep up with having the most recent computer - why bother?

Please show me:

a Quake 2 editor as easy to use as a decent Doom editor, both in terms of levels and adding new resources

where the Doom monsters, weapons, power-ups, textures, sound effects, music, atmosphere, etc, etc, are in Quake 2

how to get Quake 2 to support MIDI or MOD files for music

Thank you.

BTW, if you could keep up by having the most recent computer for FREE, I rather think you would.