Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cacoman

HAY im posting stuff about doom YAAAAEHHH

Guest cacoman

so yep it be cool to start a nother doom contest .myself?? i dont have any ideas for one but it be something to do that will be cool and fun

Well, what about a wad contest that features levels:
- Large, complex levels that never resort to using keys
- Levels using only textures from other games?
- A competition for the 'creepiest' levels?
- 'Heaven meets hell', a collection of angelic themed wads?
- A gameplay competition showing off the new zDoom features put to good use?
- A thematic wad making the player seem two inches tall?
- Ultra-sector wad? Levels with absolutely TONS of sectors in them for mega-detail? Man, this one would take forever, never mind.
- A set of wads only using zombie type enemies? I can see one hell of a showdown at the end...

The possibilities for good competitions are literally endless... but hasn't someone asked this before?

Guest cacoman

NOT THAT I KNOW OF BUT(ops caps on) it still be pritty cool to deo that PLUS it will give us another megawad when the compotition is done Like the 10sector wad

deadnail said:

I think that one has already been won - Asylum of the Wretched.

Guest Lament

Asylum disapponted me. It starts so creepy, and then, all of a sudden, you get the berserk pack!... and the same boring Doom starts again. Bad, bad level. :)))
Now, that was a joke. :-\
Let's make a doom sculpture contest! I.e you build what you want inside a block, say, 128x128.

deadnail said:

Well, what about a wad contest that features levels:
- Levels using only textures from other games?
- 'Heaven meets hell', a collection of angelic themed wads?
- A gameplay competition showing off the new zDoom features put to good use?
- Ultra-sector wad? Levels with absolutely TONS of sectors in them for mega-detail? Man, this one would take forever, never mind.
- A set of wads only using zombie type enemies? I can see one hell of a showdown at the end...

The possibilities for good competitions are literally endless... but hasn't someone asked this before?

You have to keep in mind when you do a contest, not to limit contestants in their imagination or creativity. In the 10 sectors contest for example, the limitation to using only 10 sectors to construct a level was a technical one. As was shown, it did not limit peoples imaginations or the final quality of the end product. Contests with strictures on the theme of a wad are not a good idea imo.

deadnail said:

Hey, actually I DID start on a level like that, where I scaled everything so that the Doom marine would be about the size of an action figure. However, I REALLY lack creativity, and so never made it out of the bathroom (I started there since that would be the easiest room). It was fun while it lasted, though, and I kept the level so I may go back to work on it someday. Actually, my lack of creativity has caused me never to finish ANY level, at least any level worth releasing. In my early days I had some real stinkers which never were released, which I have since lost and wish I had released, because they were at least better than most first-attempt levels, but don't get me wrong, they WERE terrible. One had about 50 billion Spider Masterminds, all in the same room, which would begin killing each other, so actually it wasn't TOO stupid. Ooo, I really miss my Gate to Hell level, which was descent, but EXTREMELY linear, and blocky at that, I think that was the best level I did.

how about a contest for the best deathmatch level where ALL the lighting has to be lower than 100? i love levels like that.

deadnail said:

Hard to pull off, but I'd go for it!

Guest cacoman

ill repost this i whant this to be more official then this meer idea