Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Temple of the Ancients is available

5-level hub, set in a variety of environments. You start in a command center, but explore medieval and techno-medieval areas as you uncover the secrets of the Temple of the Ancients.

These levels extensively use Q3A textures and Q2 weapons, and intricate architecture. They also feature cool new skies, & scripting. ZDooM features include translucency, laser barriers, underwater environments, true elevators, colored lighting, fog, slippery surfaces (ice), quakes, 3D bridges, etc.

Requires ZDooM, and is available at:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/doom2/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/temple2.zip

Guest ZarcyB

I dont play ZDoom WADs that much. When I start up the game using ZDLauncher, it takes me to MAP 01 of Doom 2. How do I get to your maps?

Guest JudgeDooM

In the command line in "MS-DOS commands" (start menu), you must type the path where your Doom II folder resides (and ZDoom must be in it of course). Instead of doing this ('cos first of all, it will not work for what you must type after), simply laucnch ZDoom, then quit. Return to the command line and type the letter of the drive where Doom II is installed (mine is D:). Then it should write the path automatically where Doom 2 is installed (For me it's like this D:\Games\Doom-like\Ultimate Doom for Windows 95>). After the path is written (by you, it would be x:\games\doom 2> (something like that)), type: zdoom -iwad doom (to play with doom 1 in zdoom) or: zdoom -file kzdoom3 (for example, you must type the name of the wad you want to play after -file).

Guest ZarcyB

When I do that and go to new game it still brings up Map 01 altho it does have all the textures and guns and stuff.

Wow, Rex I just played this through from start to finish. A very immersive environment. Beautiful in places. Very doom, but also very different. I loved the use of the final bad guy too, nice and original (don't want to give too much away here). Took me a while to work out what to do whilst running around the inner sanctum avoiding all those spawning monsters.

There was also intelligent use of textures, zdoom features and the hub structure. I guess the large scale, wide ranging puzzle solving element won't suit everyone but I thought it worked just fine. (Mind you, I did climb on top of the crate with the VR21 Antidote in it, look down and thought "Berserk pack, hmm, don't need it just now, I'll pick that up later" only to realise once I had gone back to the starting level that it must have been what I needed to collect to allow safe teleporting.)

I liked the Q3 textures too, but the pallette changing has made some of them look like they have random very pink pixels all over them under some lighting conditions - minor gripe.

I loved paranoia (as I E-mailed you a while back) and I love this too. You seem to be turning these huge, detailed, complex logic levels out pretty damn quick, great!

I remember someone asking about using cameras to look into other levels on the zdoom forum. I'm guessing it was you judging by the way you can use the screens by the level telporters to do just that - right?

For those who always start on level 1, you need to either use the -warp 10 parameter to get to the starting level, or type the IDCLEV10 cheat. This mod starts on level 10.

ZarcyB said:

When I do that and go to new game it still brings up Map 01 altho it does have all the textures and guns and stuff.

The levels start at map10, that's why :)

ZarcyB said:

I dont play ZDoom WADs that much. When I start up the game using ZDLauncher, it takes me to MAP 01 of Doom 2. How do I get to your maps?

In ZDoom Launcher, in one of the tabs/windows, there is an option to warp to any level you choose. Simply choose Map 10 to start Temple. As an alternative, you can use a batch file as follows:

zdoom -file temple.wad -skill 4 -warp 10

Make sure that temple.wad and your ZDooM files are in the same folder as your DooM2 files.

Yet another alternative is to start ZDooM Launcher at Map 01 and then use idclev10 to warp to Map 10. Happy hunting!

Enjay said:

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked Temple (and Paranoia).

Don't know what to do about those pink pixels. Also, in my text file I had pointed out that the grates do not appear colored underwater (or under lava). It looks kind of weird, because the surrounding areas are colored with a bluish tint, and the grates stand out because they are not. (Oops!, did I just point out a deficiency on a forum. Well, in that case I take back what I just said.)

Yes, it was me with the cameras question on the ZDooM forum. Randy said that he was incorporating that feature into v1.23, but it was too late for me. I wanted to finish these levels by the end of this year. Is it only me, or does everybody get the feeling that beyond a certain point editing is WORK, and not play anymore? It took me 3 months of almost daily grinding to finish these levels. Sometimes I'd spend as much as 2 hours on figuring out how a single script was supposed to work right. Very frustrating at times, and I'm glad it's over. On the other hand, I'm also glad the levels turned out okay.

You're right about complex, logic levels not appealing to everyone. A wise man once said: "You can please some people all the time, and you can please all the people some of the time, but you shouldn't give a rat's a** about the people you can't please". But seriously, I realize that there are players who prefer straight blasting away (and I hope that I've provided plenty of opportunities for that in Temple). But ZDooM simply begs to make levels that are interactive. I suppose it allows the creation of levels that are adventures as well as bloodfests.

One note for others wanting to try the levels out. The 6 mission log records that can be accessed on the first level provide vital clues as to some of the tasks that must be accomplished, and where you can do them. (The Gameplay.txt file points out the importance of the log records.)

Again, I'm pleased that you enjoyed Temple.

Guest ZarcyB
NiGHTMARE said:

The levels start at map10, that's why :)

Yeah, NOW I know lol, why didnt someone say that in the first place?

There not a ZDOOM effect-there a boom effect!-they work in other things like boom/legacy

and so are teleporters that zap you somewhere when you hit a switch!-theres millions of uses for these things but they only ever show up in zdoom wads!
whhhhhyyyyy??????-did i say all that?

ReX said:

I agree editing can take over and feel like work sometimes. I still seem to go back to it over and over though. :-)

I was actually pleased to hear you sometimes took so long to work out how to get an individual script to work. Not because I am a sadistic bastard or anything, but because my scripts ALWAYS take ages to work out, and they aren't antwhere near as complex as yours. So I don't feel quite so stupid.

Thanx again for Temple.

deathbringer said:

There not a ZDOOM effect-there a boom effect!-they work in other things like boom/legacy

and so are teleporters that zap you somewhere when you hit a switch!-theres millions of uses for these things but they only ever show up in zdoom wads!
whhhhhyyyyy??????-did i say all that?

Deathbringer

Hmmm, a Dead Kenedys Icon, a Sham 69 tag line (right?) methinks there is a punk in our midst. :-)