Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sirgalahadwizar

Problems with mapediting.

Hello again, if anybody remembered from a few weeks ago.

I have gotten off to a very rough start. I have HOM all over the place and cant really figure out why. I know it is resultant from missing textures, but I put textures in the places where i thought them missing (lower texture on first sidedef on stairs).

How do you make skies? upper texture of first sidedef?

And I tried to make some crates (ala e2m2), but I failed horribly, doom wants to make them into pits and it screws with the level even more than the HOM.

And, for the final time, I cant seem to figure out how to close sectors. It doesn't seem to reflect any problems in doom, but then again my level has so many problems I cant track them down.

I have a basic concept for a level in my head, and it would work mighty fine as a DM level, but if only I could get it working...

Seems like the nodes aren't built... have you run the level through a nodebuilder? To know how to make stuff like the skies look into doom levels, that's how I learnt how most things are made.

Guest Gôvernôr Barôn

oh gee thats not rude at all, if you dont know the answer then why even type "get a tutorial"?

to the guy with the long name: you need to make the crate a sector.

Using WinDEU 5.xx (5.24 i think).

Using BSP 2.3 (i think).

I built the nodes before I played the thing.

For the most part I have gotten a tutorial... it wasn't too helpful, not precise enough.

I am beginnning to think that I should close sectors that will be things such as crates, lights, etc. by selecting the vertexes in a counter-clockwise order and then building a set of linedefs out of them (and then a sector after that).

Perhaps it might flip their side, which might be the problem.

Here is my strategy for making maps.

1) I draw the general outline of the room or sector with the vertexes (set all the outside points).

2) I select each vertex, going in a clockwise order around the outside (go from left to right, down, back to the left, and back up again). I generate linedefs.

3) I select those linedefs in a clockwise order and use them to build a sector.

4) If there is a crate-like object or stairs that are not along the outside edge of the sector (islands), then I select them last, in clockwise order, and then build the sector.
After that I select them again and build another sector on them because otherwise they will end up as support beams (and not crates or blocks, but will have only one sidedef), in clockwise order again.

If any missing textures are found in the texture check I make it substitute a generic texture for the moment (texture is changed later on).

SaGa said:

get a tutorial it helps

I was wondering if you could give me your tutorial?

You seem to have just started mapediting (according to another post) so the tutorial that worked magic for you should probably work with me too :)

Gôvernôr Barôn said:

oh gee thats not rude at all, if you dont know the answer then why even type "get a tutorial"?

to the guy with the long name: you need to make the crate a sector.

I did make the crate into a sector.

Here is what I did:

1) Made the room
2) Made vertexes to outline the crates
3) Made linedefs with the vertexes
4) Made a new sector with the crates

anything I forgot.

When I walk into the room, the floor is all screwed up, and when I use noclipping to get over to the crates, they seem to look like pits in the ground rather than crates on the ground. The crates also seem to "raise" the floor level or something because I can't walk straight over to the crates w/o runing into some sort of imaginary wall.

The crates are actually piles of crates used as a crude form of stairs so it is hard for th player to climb them quickly - they lead to a switch which opens a door (which is meant ot be hard to open).

-can't get the door to open from the switch only either. The door can be "use" opened or opened with the switch (switch only works once too).

sirgalahadwizar said:

Here is my strategy for making maps.

1) I draw the general outline of the room or sector with the vertexes (set all the outside points).

2) I select each vertex, going in a clockwise order around the outside (go from left to right, down, back to the left, and back up again). I generate linedefs.

3) I select those linedefs in a clockwise order and use them to build a sector.

4) If there is a crate-like object or stairs that are not along the outside edge of the sector (islands), then I select them last, in clockwise order, and then build the sector.
After that I select them again and build another sector on them because otherwise they will end up as support beams (and not crates or blocks, but will have only one sidedef), in clockwise order again.

If any missing textures are found in the texture check I make it substitute a generic texture for the moment (texture is changed later on).

Hmm you could post me the map and I'll try and fix it?

sirgalahadwizar said:

I was wondering if you could give me your tutorial?

You seem to have just started mapediting (according to another post) so the tutorial that worked magic for you should probably work with me too :)

well i have former mapmaking skills in many other games desent,quake2, i did play around with the editor a lot that rilly helped me to learn how the engin works and all and how to map make with it