Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Drac

Best GL mod?

Guest Drac

What is the best GL mod for Doom as I have seen various ones such as GLDoom,DoomGL and ZDoomGL. I would like better graphics but stability is also important as my machine is only average.
Cheers.

If you want all kinds of cool stuff that Zdoom can do then it should be obvious... if you want doom to just look cool I suggest Jdoom.

Guest ZarcyB

Aren't DoomGL and GLDoom the same thing?

GLDoom was the 3D-Decelerated (yes you read that right) port of Doom written by Bruce Lewis. It died in a hard drive crash. 0.95 was the latest version. It ran slower in GL than a regular port did in the same resolution. DoomGL is a different version by a different author which accomplishes generally the same thing. I believe DoomGL is still in production (?) At least it was a while ago; I never read into it again after I got JDoom going :)

Actually I am slowly compiling an article listing all the pros and cons of all the different ten or so hardware-accelerated source ports. Currently I am having some problems since not all the ports actually run well on my computer, with weird colors and crashes and all that sort of thing.

I am going to compare all sorts of different things between the ports, including:

* FPS
* Stability
* FOV / lighting compared to doom2.exe
* Features like coronas / MD2 models

And some other stuff.

Hopefully I'll have finished the article soon.

For stability and speed jDoom wins out. With full mip-mapping support, light source control, md2 support, gwa file support etc it should run fast on most systems. It has the cleanest look (no sparklies or cracks) and the best audio. If opengl doesnt work well you can use its direct3d renderer. Only downside is no Boom compatability. It's yet to crash on me.

Gllegacy is pretty fast and offers better compatibility. It provides rocket smoke trails (ugly, annoying) blood splats and bullet marks etc, these effects dont work that well on my tnt2 ultra (horrible banding effect).

Zdoomgl is getting more stable with every release, but it does fall over quite a lot (especially when using large external pwads). When it does go it usually hangs the system requireing a reboot (running zdoomgl more than five times will do this on my machine). Theres still some visual bugs especially when using mlook (missing textures around the edge of the screen). Probably the fullest support of all the gl engines (zdoom+boom).

Guest Firebrandt
Lüt said:

GLDoom was the 3D-Decelerated (yes you read that right) port of Doom written by Bruce Lewis. It died in a hard drive crash. 0.95 was the latest version. It ran slower in GL than a regular port did in the same resolution. DoomGL is a different version by a different author which accomplishes generally the same thing. I believe DoomGL is still in production (?) At least it was a while ago; I never read into it again after I got JDoom going :)

I think the original author of DoomGL later ported the whole project to ZDoom so it became ZDoomGL.

Guest fraggle`
ZarcyB said:

Aren't DoomGL and GLDoom the same thing?

that is the best sig ever