Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Demos

I'm having a few problems recording demos with vanilla Heretic. My levels always seem to crap out with a crash-to-dos when I get a fair way into them. It's never at any specific point, just seems like it's time-based. I don't really feel like trying again right now, I was just wondering if there are any particular issues with demos for large and lengthy levels, or demos for levels which require multiple resources to run. I hear from a few places to use a parameter '-maxdemo 1024' which allows for longer demos, but I had assumed if you passed the original length, it would just return to dos telling you the demo was recorded, not crash and take the display with it. Anybody know what the default demo length is anyways?

Excerpt from readme.txt
"-MAXDEMO xxx If you want to record a demo bigger than 128k, use
this option. xxx will be the size (in kilobytes) of the demo.
example -MAXDEMO 1024 will record a 1 megabyte demo.
-record <filename> -maxdemo xxx"

Apparently Heretic's demo recording code is horribly busted. You may as well try using -Maxdemo 1024 but that may not help. I think that's the reason there aren't many Heretic demos available on the net.

Vorpal said:

128k will be the size (in kilobytes) of the demo.

OK but what does that come to in timed length?

Half an hour would be my guess...

Hmmm... that might explain it. Most of my ExM1's take about 25-30 minutes to complete, provided you know what's coming up and where to go. Alright I'll try that later then. I was just confused because I know when the time ran out in Doom, it would return you to DOS telling you your demo had been recorded.