Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ZarcyB

My first play of PSX Doom :)

Guest ZarcyB

OK so I played Playstation Doom for the first time last night (one-level demo only, level 33: The Gantlet) and it's pretty cool. It was a bit hard tho, cos I'm not used to FPS games on the controller. I died the first time.

the way thay do light for psx doom looks kool (wish thay had that for zdoom as a option)

I think psx Doom sux... You have to use that crappy keypad and you have to twist your thumbs in various different ways to something as simple as turning and walking forward at the same time. Doom is made for PCs and it will remain that way forever (unless psx gets a mouse atached to it - and that will never happen)...

heh ps2 has a mouse i dont know if it will be compatible with doom but it dos have one

Guest ZarcyB
ViperBoy said:

I think psx Doom sux... You have to use that crappy keypad and you have to twist your thumbs in various different ways to something as simple as turning and walking forward at the same time. Doom is made for PCs and it will remain that way forever (unless psx gets a mouse atached to it - and that will never happen)...

PSX already has a mouse ^_^ think - Red Alert

I have to admit that PSX Doom (the first, not Final Doom) is the best Doom out there. It runs a bit faster than the PC and the N64, has the most levels (and some of the coolest levels (Twilight Descends is one of the best levels ever!), has the cool lighting, and the new sounds and music (which I prefer to the PC Sound). The only gripe I have with it is the seriously hacked up levels from Episodes 2 & 3 of Ultimate Doom. Wish they would've just ported over the original PC levels compared to the hacked up Jaguar and 32X levels. As for the controller, once you get used to it, it's better than the Keyboard. Faster turning, better weapon selection, etc. Just swap the shoot and strafe buttons in the control setup and it controls just like SNES Wolf3d! And the Ultra Violence difficulty is a lot more challenging than the PC games. Doom 2 enemies in Ultimate Doom? OOH YEAH!

SaGa said:

heh ps2 has a mouse i dont know if it will be compatible with doom but it dos have one

The mouse works with Final Doom, but not the first PSX Doom.

elbryan42 said:

I have to admit that PSX Doom (the first, not Final Doom) is the best Doom out there. It runs a bit faster than the PC and the N64, has the most levels (and some of the coolest levels (Twilight Descends is one of the best levels ever!), has the cool lighting, and the new sounds and music (which I prefer to the PC Sound). The only gripe I have with it is the seriously hacked up levels from Episodes 2 & 3 of Ultimate Doom. Wish they would've just ported over the original PC levels compared to the hacked up Jaguar and 32X levels. As for the controller, once you get used to it, it's better than the Keyboard. Faster turning, better weapon selection, etc. Just swap the shoot and strafe buttons in the control setup and it controls just like SNES Wolf3d! And the Ultra Violence difficulty is a lot more challenging than the PC games. Doom 2 enemies in Ultimate Doom? OOH YEAH!

like i just said i wish thay had a option on zdoom or Skulltag to do that lighting that thay do in psx doom that would kick ass

Espi said:

My friend said there is an emulator to run Playstation games with yer PC.

The emulator's called Connectix Virtual Game Station. Unfortunately it can't play the games in hires, and doesn't emultate the anolog controller or mouse. It does, however, play EVERY (well at least the 100 or so I've tried it with) game perfectly.

Guest Ike the Killer

PSX Doom is cool, but it's not my fav. My fav is still The Ultimate Doom (vanilla) on a PC, followed closly by Doom 64, then Doom Legacy. I think the lighting on Doom 64, and speed, were better than the PSX. But, the controller for the 64 sucks. What I think would be cool is something like Doom Legacy: DreamCast edition.

Oh, and Legacy can do colored lighting like that.

ah... but the dreamcast controller sucks more than the n64 controlller. only 6 buttons? and it cramps up my hands too.

I still think it sucks. So I didn't know there was a mouse, so what ? You can't customize DooM - the reason why sites like Doomworld... you're stuck with plain old doom and can't do a thing about it........

Guest Ike the Killer
elbryan42 said:

ah... but the dreamcast controller sucks more than the n64 controlller. only 6 buttons? and it cramps up my hands too.

I like the DreamCast controller best out of all systems, even PSX. Then again, I'm also the one who like Rott better than I do Doom, so...

Ike the Killer said:

PSX Doom is cool, but it's not my fav. My fav is still The Ultimate Doom (vanilla) on a PC, followed closly by Doom 64, then Doom Legacy. I think the lighting on Doom 64, and speed, were better than the PSX. But, the controller for the 64 sucks. What I think would be cool is something like Doom Legacy: DreamCast edition.

Oh, and Legacy can do colored lighting like that.

i think doom 64 is very underated by the majority of game review sites , it kicks ass!

I won't dispute that Doom 64 is one of the best Dooms out there. Awesome graphics, bridges, incredibly cool levels, etc. However, I can't stand any of the controllers for the N64. The only way you can turn at a decent speed is with the stick and I think Doom is better with the pad anyday. Maybe when I get a better video card I can play it on an emulator using the keyboard.

my first experience with doom was on the psx,(couldn't afford a computer), i still play it, and doom 64 as well as pc (real)doom...i think it looks and play pretty good!

Which brings up a point, why isn't anyone porting Doom 64 and Playstation Doom to the PC? I want to get a chance to play them, and I really don't think it would be too difficult, all you have to do is study the maps and copy them, not to challenging for a good level designer.

Well, I am working on making the PSX music into MP3s, and have the first 11 levels done. I already posted this, but if anyone has a site that would like to put these up please let me know. Unfortunately I don't have a website yet, and don't know how to make levels. I'm trying to learn now, and was wondering if there's an editor that's similar to Build for Duke 3D. That was easier to use and learn than any editors I've tried.

And here's an idea: The Edge engine should be able to do stuff the Doom64 engine does. I think I heard somewhere that someone was porting it over.