Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Primative

Why is my comp so damn slow?????

Guest Primative

I dunno but recently my comp has been running like crap, ive gone through and deleted most of my shit, and defragged the hard drive, but it still runs slow, with only windows running, i only have about 86% resources free, ( Comp specs: Pent III 500, 128 megs ram, 13 gig hard drive, Voodoo 3 3000 3d card) anyone know what else is taking up all my damn resources?

Most probably Windows is taking up all the resources. It is a commonly known fact that Windows always gets slower the longer you run it.
==> format c:
==> reinstall Windows, or better: a REAL operating system

try wiping everything out and reinstall windows from scratch. that way you can be sure that nothing's running. and it'll get rid of all of the old dlls you don't need anymore. another thing to try is to have a super huge swap file (we're talking 500 megs here), it seems to help. last thing to do, if you have no scsi drives that is, is to try is to edit your msdos.sys (remember to reapply the s h r attributes before you reboot!) and set doublebuffer to 0 instead of 1. however if you have scsi hard drives it migtht screw them up, so this is last resort.

TheProphet said:

Most probably Windows is taking up all the resources. It is a commonly known fact that Windows always gets slower the longer you run it.
==> format c:
==> reinstall Windows, or better: a REAL operating system

Installing a non-windows OS = unable to run 99.9% of commercial software.

you think thats bad im using a 120penteum with 64megs of ram and a all in wonder 4mb card (i never use the tv ever since i got my 19 inch tv...

but it could be windows thinking that your system is slower then it rilly is......or its just that bill gates sux windows sux and we are all damned to using windows

Guest DJ UAC
NiGHTMARE said:

Installing a non-windows OS = unable to run 99.9% of commercial software.

so?
beos can run doom, mirc, irc, aim, quake 1 and 2 and thats just about all the shit u need!

You're probably running Windows98 or WindowsME I'd guess. The best thing to do, if you've got an extra hard drive lying around, or don't mind formatting your current one, is a fresh install with nothing but the video card in the computer, and then putting in the rest of the hardware one-by-one and see if that causes a ridiculous slowdown. If all's well there, start putting on the software and see what happens. Also, run MSCONFIG and go to the STARTUP tab and uncheck any crap you don't need.

Get system mechanic free from iolo I have been using this for a while now and it clears unwanted stuff from system like dll's no longer needed, a major cause of slow system is that windows loads all the dll's and getting rid of unused ones is a major step it also cleans your reg, optimises start up, loads of things well worth the small download for 30 day trial at http://www.iolo.com/

128 RAM may not be enough for you if you have lots of shit run on startup...I have 284 and windows used to use 128 just to start up, until I cleaned shit up.