Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KING ELVIS

Grab the sourcecode or die !!!

I can't believe the community is sooo lazy ! I've released a rich featured frontend with VB6 sourcecode, it will be no big action to modify it to fit to your needs. As I say, it's an ease to make a ZDoom(gl), Doom Legacy or whatever frontend of it.
So head over to http://kickme.to/theking and take this little gift.

Guest fraggle`

Releasing the sourcecode means that people _can_ use it, it doesnt mean that they _will_ use it. And of the remaining few decent coders left in doom, i doubt that many of them use visual basic..

thankyou for your kindness, however I don't run visual basic programs if I can avoid it.

fraggle` said:

Releasing the sourcecode means that people _can_ use it, it doesnt mean that they _will_ use it. And of the remaining few decent coders left in doom, i doubt that many of them use visual basic..

I do this here just because of little advertising...I spent much time on it...others could profit...BTW: VB is easy to understand and IMHO a good language to do GUI's. VB is also a serious language ! Why don't translate all to C ?...no problem if you have 10 years free time ;-).

Guest fraggle`

Visual Basic may be easy to understand and write quick gui programs for but it is certainly not a "serious language". I would suggest that you learn C++.

King Elvis said:

I do this here just because of little advertising...I spent much time on it...others could profit...BTW: VB is easy to understand and IMHO a good language to do GUI's. VB is also a serious language ! Why don't translate all to C ?...no problem if you have 10 years free time ;-).

VB sux (one its a interpreted language meaning its very very slow. i ade a pong game with it and it ran ok but when i made a space invaders game with it it ran slow)(two it cant do many thing that c++ can do including making doom MODIFICATOINS and the likes)(VB is basicly qbasic for windows with addons for windows and frams and bottons..qbasic was a language is for kids, it was made for teaching people the basics for programing)

fraggle` said:

Visual Basic may be easy to understand and write quick gui programs for but it is certainly not a "serious language". I would suggest that you learn C++.

Hmm, please no discussion about what coding language is the best...or do you buy a Porsche to drive off road ?
Every language has it's pro and cons. It's not a question of the 'look at' It's a question of if you're able to make the right decision for a special problem to solve !
I will not make anyone bad here, but testifies like "VB sux" are thoughtless. It's also not so important that you have the skills for a special syntax, it's more important to have the skills to understand the programing theory.
Further the statement:
"VB is basicly qbasic for windows with addons for windows and frams and bottons"
is fundamental false.

If you wanna know every syntax of every language...you'll be strifing to be a craftsman...if you're good enough, let me know and maybe you could work for me.

Guest fraggle`

i'd just like to say, dont be disheartened if nobody uses your stuff. Here is a short list of a few doom-related programs i've written over the past few years:

* Onslaunch: a neat graphical launcher program which made starting netgames easy. Nobody used it to my knowledge
* WADPTR: A wad compressor which can significantly reduce files. Although several people hailed it as an essential tool, I dont think that many people use this.
* SMMU: some moderate interest, but lets face it, most people havent even heard of it.

You have to live with the fact that its quite likely that you too will have difficulty getting people to notice your stuff. The Doom Community nowadays is smaller than it ever has been. You can spend ages writing a program with tons of neat features and it doesnt guarantee that people will use it.

No, I don't be really disheartened...just a little bit maybe. There are some people using my stuff, in relation to the members of the community I can also say that they are not slight...but I would like if they were more 'active' if you know what I mean...I had imagined that it could be a project with more than just one member. However I did that all because I want to have a Doom95 like GUI for my favorite port for my own...releasing all that stuff for the public was only a secondary matter...and as I told before: I do nothing more here than little advertising.

SaGa said:

VB sux (one its a interpreted language meaning its very very slow. i ade a pong game with it and it ran ok but when i made a space invaders game with it it ran slow)(two it cant do many thing that c++ can do including making doom MODIFICATOINS and the likes)(VB is basicly qbasic for windows with addons for windows and frams and bottons..qbasic was a language is for kids, it was made for teaching people the basics for programing)

VB now compiles into C++ and is not "interpreted". It's pretty cool for doing a lot of things. The only reason I don't use it it that once you learn Windows API programming, there is not mu h difference in time spent developing an app. I wouldn't mind having some of the VB editor features put into Visual Studio for C++ though:))

In VB (for windows), one still has to learn lots and lots about the windows interface and windows "messaging". It's easier to learn (vs C), but it still isn't duck soup by any stretch.

Different people have different styles that doesn't make what they like "bad". For example, I personally think the Perl stuff is for the insane. Laughing.

That's the truth, I've nothing more to add.
BTW: I used maybe one ore two API calls in the whole frontend...the rest is pure plain vanilla VB.