Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

football, patriotism, and crap

I can't post on news comments since I never registered for it and currently don't have any email address to do so with.

Well anyway, I consider it somewhat embarrassing to be American much of the time with all the jackasses in this country and I think soccer/football kicks the crap out of American football, but backyard American football deserves a little more credit. Also, I never hear the term American football except when international football/soccer is brought up.

I find the olympics to be pretty revolting anymore with cocky Americans of course taking home the most medals and people being on abusive diets to make weight classes or compete well in certain events. Then you of course have the random steroid-users being caught. Oh yeah, through some loop holes certain kinds of steroids such as Creatine are allowed in some American sports and they have many of the same side effects. The record-holder for the most homeruns in a baseball season uses creatine and it's legal.

My country needs its ass kicked.

What I really hate is the Americanization of console games, at least the good ones that happen to be translated.

BTW, this cheap bastard, Gill, says "Go Broncos! The mark of thy dignity shall scar thy DNA."

American football deserves little credit, not when held to the same light as rugby. What's with the armor? Hell, watching Hockey or Soccer is a lot more entertaining.

The Superbowl was a joke. Both teams had 3rd rate quarterbacks... when the 1st quarter was over and neither team had more than 50 yards rushing I turned the damn channel. Worst Superbowl I've ever seen in my life.

That redneck got lucky, fuck him with that bat! Sammy Sosa should've had it! :)

Our country needs it's ass kicked? Well, we average a major war every 20 years so it's inevitable.

Oh yeah, I hate poor translation jobs too. Have you ever seen the ending to Blazing Star? My God, that's the worst trans job I've ever seen.

Another thing... I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but in the US, just about everyone and everything is owned by evil cooperations and I'm talking about the massive asshole kind of evil not the decent or cool kind. Quality of everything in general has gone to shit in the past few years. The news only reports what's ok with their owners. There's a... Wait, I better not mention anyone in particular lest they track me down and sue me to death in this great country.

deadnail said:

American football deserves little credit, not when held to the same light as rugby. What's with the armor? Hell, watching Hockey or Soccer is a lot more entertaining.

The Superbowl was a joke. Both teams had 3rd rate quarterbacks... when the 1st quarter was over and neither team had more than 50 yards rushing I turned the damn channel. Worst Superbowl I've ever seen in my life.

Our country needs it's ass kicked? Well, we average a major war every 20 years so it's inevitable.

Oh yeah, I hate poor translation jobs too. Have you ever seen the ending to Blazing Star? My God, that's the worst trans job I've ever seen.

American football is a damned sight better than the CFL (Children's Football League :) Damn. Here in Canada, the Superbowl is still a bigger event than the Grey Cup. If you ever watched a CFL game you would know why. It's a bloody disgrace I tell ya.......

deadnail said:

heh, is that the game with the infamous line, "All your base are belong to us"?

Stphrz said:

American football is a damned sight better than the CFL (Children's Football League :) Damn. Here in Canada, the Superbowl is still a bigger event than the Grey Cup. If you ever watched a CFL game you would know why. It's a bloody disgrace I tell ya.......

Well, they are just children, right?

Gokuma said:

Oh yeah, through some loop holes certain kinds of steroids such as Creatine are allowed in some American sports and they have many of the same side effects.

Creatine isn't really a steroid, it's a composite of all the good elements found in regular food, primarily meats. You can get all the stuff in creatine by eating regular meals, you'd just be about 4 times as full.

Vorpal said:

Well, I didn't sit around in MAME32 in the beginning of this NeoGeo game to see that, but here are some highlights of it's wonderful wording for you!

Stage 5
Guardian's Criff

Boss 5
Someone wakes the noise up.

Boss 6
How huge that is!

Stage 7
The Crooked Embryo

Boss 7
I have a bad hunch!

Epilogue
It was destroyed "Brawshella"
the evil weapon as the ringleader.
Now, it is brought the end of
the interplanetary war between the
remuria and the mutras, by soldiers
who wake up to the human heart.
Also people have been captured
by Brawshella is liberated.
Peace must come back soon.
The soldiers go away to seek a
place where they can live in peace,
with a strong wish that such a war
never break out again.

Well, that just clears it all the fuck up doesn't it?

I watched the superbowl on skysports live and still have not figured out why it's called football, unless it's from incidents like when player stamped on other guys groin? But then surely you would be calling Boxing something like fisthead? :)

deadnail said:

Rugby is cool but it'll be a cold day in hell that you see it on American TV.

I never played Blazing Star but I can think of plenty of other examples including not just bad text translations. Go to http://gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/game/24018.html and check out the credits of my Grade Match/Ism Plus FAQ (under in-depth FAQs).

The US DC version of Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3 came out a year after the Japanese version and was even delayed six months when the US PSX and arcade versions were out long ago. You think in that time they would do a damn good translation since they already translated the game before? Right on the main menu you see at least two errors such as the description of survival mode: "Beat as many opponent as possible." Throughout the game you often see you instead of your and plurals missing.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a recent game that really got butchered. All blood is colored white of course which really looks like something other than sweat when it sqwirts from this almost naked girl that of course wasn't censored since censorship is never consistent. Maybe they didn't feel like actually redrawing anything. Most characters are renamed. Instead of the final boss's upper body splitting down the middle and exploding in a bloody mess, he sits on the screen completely still for a little while after being beaten to hell and then mysteriously flies away off the screen and is dead in whichever character's ending.

NES saw some of the worst Americanization ever and of course the best games weren't translated. Technos of Japan made a ton of wicked games but only nine made it to the US and five of those were horribly bastardized. The translated games were also unwisely released by all different companies to compete against each other. No wonder Technos no longer exists. No more Double Dragon. No more Nekketsu Kunio games which were even better.

A lot of the Double Dragon games are American made bastards that fortunately didn't make it back to Japan to embarrass us further.

BTW, here's one of the many side effects of creatine: roid rage

Gokuma said:

Well anyway, I consider it somewhat embarrassing to be American much of the time with all the jackasses in this country...My country needs its ass kicked.

Gokuma, if you are so utterly disgusted with the U.S., why don't you try one of the many other countries that would surely welcome somebody with your convictions. May I suggest Libya or Yemen? Perhaps you could join up with Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan. Oh, I bet they'd love you there. :P

What really disgusts me is people like you who bitch about how terrible the country is, but, yet, you stay anyway and continue to bitch. If it really pisses you off that much to be here, then get out. Nobody's forcing you to stay where you hate to be. It's not like we're living in a dictatorship with closed borders.

Guest ZarcyB
Vorpal said:

"Somebody set us up the bomb"...

^_^ Zerowing is cool, go get the video :)

Somebody set UP US the bomb! Dagnabbit, get it right!! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

I haven't played ZeroWing yet. I really need to.

X-Blade said:

Gokuma, if you are so utterly disgusted with the U.S., why don't you try one of the many other countries that would surely welcome somebody with your convictions. May I suggest Libya or Yemen? Perhaps you could join up with Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan. Oh, I bet they'd love you there. :P

What really disgusts me is people like you who bitch about how terrible the country is, but, yet, you stay anyway and continue to bitch. If it really pisses you off that much to be here, then get out. Nobody's forcing you to stay where you hate to be. It's not like we're living in a dictatorship with closed borders.

Just go away. Yeah, that's a solution. Actually I've thought of that and it has not left my mind. There's Cananda but I'll still get screwed over by the US video game wise. There's Japan but I'm not sure I could adjust to their society. Then there's fact that I'd have to leave friends and family far behind.

I'm well aware of some advantages and disadvantages in the US. I think we have the poorest health insurance of all the first world countries. Cooperations own and influence just about everything and everyone. Most people only hear the news and like the things that the cooperations want them to or deem ok. Did you know it costs more to win a seat in the senate than an entire six year term pays? Hmm. I wonder where all the money comes from. How can a pig like that 90some year old Strom Therman afford to spend almost his entire life in the senate? BTW, that guy set the record for the longest filabuster - by stalling the passing the civil rights act of either 1963 or 1964 by himself for 23 hours. Somehow not only does he mysteriously have no financial problems but he manages to get re-elected every six years by the idiots of his state when he's an obvious racist. Now that's embassarring. There is a lot of BS going down that you are obviously clueless about.

By this country getting its ass kicked, I generally meant in just about any competition. You may have noticed it followed a paragraph about sports. I wasn't talking about getting bombed to shit by some ethnocentric assholes who are even worse. As far as war goes, this country already got its ass kicked in Vietnam as someone already mentioned, maybe back on the comments thread.

Guest ZarcyB
Lüt said:

Somebody set UP US the bomb! Dagnabbit, get it right!! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

I haven't played ZeroWing yet. I really need to.

I always do that lol

Lüt said:

Well, they are just children, right?

rofl! CFL. And he johnny tries for a 3 yard pass. INCOMPLETE! Oh no, he is crying. I guess he will need a replacement for this game.

Gokuma said:

As far as war goes, this country already got its ass kicked in Vietnam as someone already mentioned, maybe back on the comments thread.

Vietnam wasn't a war...There was no substantial military investment in it either. That was a pointless conflict to get involved with anyway...A total waste of American soldiers. There are quite a few other errors in your previous post that I could point out, but I really don't see the point in doing that for such a hard-headed individual...

Vietnam was a war, whether it was officially declared or not. Didn't something like 77,000 US soldiers die in it?

Gokuma said:

Vietnam was a war, whether it was officially declared or not. Didn't something like 77,000 US soldiers die in it?

The CONFLICT in Vietnam was the result of trying to bring an end to communism. Your number sounds about right, but if it were a war, the death toll would have been higher. It would have been a victory had it not been for the horrible protesters in the U.S. The U.S. had thwarted every military attack from the North Vietnamese and were on the verge of destroying the communist regime. The reason we pulled out was because the country had split in half back home. Troop morale had been at an all-time low because of the protesters. That's the only reason why we pulled out. Your attitude is an insult to the soldiers who died over there. Most of them were younger than you when they died. Show a little respect.

Your attitude is an insult to soldiers who died in Vietnam. You referred to Vietnam as a waste of soldiers which makes them sound somewhat expendable. It was still a war. Noone cares that it was technically a police action. Then you inconsistently say that US could have won. The fact that you blame it on morale and protesters is laughable. Kennedy actually started pulling out but then he was assassinated and Johnson kept the war going. Who had the higher body count didn't matter because the North Vietnamese knew that the US generally cared more about every single soldier they lost than they cared about every 10 soldiers they lost.

Gokuma said:

....a waste of soldiers which makes them sound somewhat expendable

I'm sorry but in war soldiers ARE expendable

X-Blade said:

The CONFLICT in Vietnam was the result of trying to bring an end to communism. Your number sounds about right, but if it were a war, the death toll would have been higher. It would have been a victory had it not been for the horrible protesters in the U.S. The U.S. had thwarted every military attack from the North Vietnamese and were on the verge of destroying the communist regime. The reason we pulled out was because the country had split in half back home. Troop morale had been at an all-time low because of the protesters. That's the only reason why we pulled out. Your attitude is an insult to the soldiers who died over there. Most of them were younger than you when they died. Show a little respect.

Thats pretty shitty, I bet the survivors from the 'war' would call it a war.