• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fodders

Napster

Guest Nuno Correia

Already? Damn...

as i heard it, it isn't actually ordered shut down, per se - the judge confirmed most of the lower court's decision, but handed the case back to that court for final action. so it might be a bit yet before it closes. who gives a fuck, there's enough clones...

Fodders said:

We all mourn the death of Napster tonight :(

I wouldn't call it dead yet. Terminally ill is the better word...simply because the big record labels have enough money to buy the best legal team in the business. The guys at napster eventually will lose their case. Right now, they're going through denial...

<Plays little invisible violin>
I never really cared for Napster anyways, I prefer to get my CDs commercially, albiet from the bargain bins. But it serves the record companies right, If they want to jack up the prices of CDs (I heard a regular CD can cost up to $40 in Seattle, while a CD only costs 40 cents to make), then they deserve to lose money to this.

Napster is up there with WindowsME, Netscape and AOL as one of the worst pieces of coding garbage in existence. Hopefully somebody with a the slightest bit of programming knowledge will make a good clone. I supported the cause, but the product was shite.

Hmmm. It seemed to work ok for the most part for me. I did notice however that it caused problems with my network. Problems that could only be solved by shutting it down and rebooting all my pcs. Is that the kind of stuff you were referring to?

Guest deathwarrior

it's dead? i never knew that at all

Guest s999cop

oh yeah, fod, youre right.

I just watched channel 5 news(US) about napster, it might be gone 4ever !

With a connection like mine I would be quicker jumping in the car, driving the 20 miles or so to the nearest decent CD shop, parking, walking to the shop, buying the CD I wanted, walking back to the car, driving home and then playing the CD rather than waiting for all the tracks to download. And I would have a nice shiny CD with a cover, sleeve notes and everything.

Of course, that option would cost more.

nah, the death of napster means the rebirth of good old FTP style trading, where you are your own boss.

Enjay said:

With a connection like mine I would be quicker jumping in the car, driving the 20 miles or so to the nearest decent CD shop, parking, walking to the shop, buying the CD I wanted, walking back to the car, driving home and then playing the CD rather than waiting for all the tracks to download. And I would have a nice shiny CD with a cover, sleeve notes and everything.

Of course, that option would cost more.

I use napster to check stuff out before I buy. As soon as I get the cd I delete the appropriate mp3s from my harddisk. I don't keep stuff I don't intend to buy...

s999cop said:

oh yeah, fod, youre right.

I just watched channel 5 news(US) about napster, it might be gone 4ever !

Not gone, I suspect there will be a "Subscription" soon $9.99/month at a guess :)

Stphrz said:

Hmmm. It seemed to work ok for the most part for me. I did notice however that it caused problems with my network. Problems that could only be solved by shutting it down and rebooting all my pcs. Is that the kind of stuff you were referring to?

Nah, people are never configured right, there's firewalls, etc. Maybe 20% of the files I tried to download finished OK. People leave in the middle of transfers, get booted, the servers don't sync so you're very limited in the number of people online that you can actually get files from, and my cable connection rarely got transfers of above 10k/s (that's a crying shame). It was one of the most frustrating programs I've used.

Jon said:

nah, the death of napster means the rebirth of good old FTP style trading, where you are your own boss.

...and the hours of searching and finding contacts who know which places have decent stuff.

Lüt said:

Nah, people are never configured right, there's firewalls, etc. Maybe 20% of the files I tried to download finished OK. People leave in the middle of transfers, get booted, the servers don't sync so you're very limited in the number of people online that you can actually get files from, and my cable connection rarely got transfers of above 10k/s (that's a crying shame). It was one of the most frustrating programs I've used.

Oh yeah, that stuff. It never bothered me much. I was always able to get what I wanted eventually. Download rates were sometimes slow, but hey that can't always be the program's fault.
I remember one time when I tried to download a song from a T3 with a ping of less than 50 and I was only getting about 8 k/s. I checked the user info and it turned out the guy was already uploading more than 40 files and downloading about 12. No fucking wonder :)

Lüt said:

Napster is up there with WindowsME, Netscape and AOL as one of the worst pieces of coding garbage in existence. Hopefully somebody with a the slightest bit of programming knowledge will make a good clone. I supported the cause, but the product was shite.

AudioGnome is a mighty good clone. It also has the best feature ever, FILE RESUMING!!! :D

I think it's at http://www.naphoria.com

Stphrz said:

Oh yeah, that stuff. It never bothered me much. I was always able to get what I wanted eventually. Download rates were sometimes slow, but hey that can't always be the program's fault.
I remember one time when I tried to download a song from a T3 with a ping of less than 50 and I was only getting about 8 k/s. I checked the user info and it turned out the guy was already uploading more than 40 files and downloading about 12. No fucking wonder :)

Yeah, no wonder indeed. It was just too random for me, all the individual users and stuff. I like knowing what to expect from programs, although I got used to feeling like I was on a 56K modem again with Napster. That thing murdered my internet connection. Even when there was no activity, my browsing still slowed by like 400%, so I just had to cut it off sometimes.