Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dexter

napster!

Guest dexter

i've seen some music forums on the internet asking for a boycott on c.ds until napster is brought back!! so if u r interested start spreading it. hopefully no one will buy cds and record companies will be forced to drop their law suits!!

Guest fraggle`

actually i believe that i read a report about how the number of cds bought had risen since the growth of napster...

If you think about it, it makes sense: people are able to listen to the songs before they buy them and are more confident about buying the cds because they know what they'll be getting. There are of course a few people who download entire cds but they are generally a minority (I have downloaded a couple of full albums myself but I mostly just get individual songs)

thats what i did it takes to long to download a whole cd. besides how many billion do the companies need. justice is for the rich in america i mourn for napster

fraggle` said:

actually i believe that i read a report about how the number of cds bought had risen since the growth of napster...

If you think about it, it makes sense: people are able to listen to the songs before they buy them and are more confident about buying the cds because they know what they'll be getting. There are of course a few people who download entire cds but they are generally a minority (I have downloaded a couple of full albums myself but I mostly just get individual songs)

It does make sense - I've bought at least 20 CDs due to Napster that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. It also saves me when bands decide to fuck certain countries over by releasing special editions of their albums with bonus tracks to other countries. I'm up for the CD boycott thing - I've got so many I could never have to buy another one again. Besides, anything I don't have I can get from one of my friends. Although I am a diehard artist-support person and think that people should buy cds instead of burn them, I also think people have the right to "try before you buy", to make a judgement on the whole package and not just a single or two. Too many bands put a few good singles out from a very lackluster album and I've saved myself a good deal of money avoiding these bands due to Napster.

I would also like to add that a collection of a dozen or so crappy 128kbps mp3s is no substitute for an actual cd. The sound quality is adequate for sampling but is by no means anywhere near cd quality.

sephiroth said:

thats what i did it takes to long to download a whole cd. besides how many billion do the companies need. justice is for the rich in america i mourn for napster

Never used Napster, but I use MP3.com a lot. Bought most of the stuff I downloaded. For the same reason I buy after listening to the radio. What makes me laugh about this, Metalidiots complained about 300.000 downloads of their songs, and assumed they mist that many sales. They are going to miss a whole lot more in the future. I know I wont buy any of their music.

BTW I am a white-born-again-christian-anti-kommunist-anti-social-crap-america-loving-male-who-plays-violent-games-since-they-are-only-games-and-a-free-speech-advocate, - and some people's sig stink.

everyone yells at me because napster is nearly dead and they have to pay FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS to get napster. jsut because i love emtallica . metallca rules, soem peopel said "im not going to listent to them anymore"
well that just means that you never really liked them much in hte first place so who gives a fuck. so i say that its good that you have to pay, maybe itll get you used to not stealing. all the stuff i dgot on napster i bought afterwards. but then think about it. 5 bucks...5 freaking bucks. lets say you dled 5 songs. now if tehy were all by different artists then youd hav eot buy all 5 cds, that would cost about 75 bucks. compare that to 5 bucks...15 to 1. hmmmmm. now that sure is a tragedy. you have to pay 5 WHOLE DOLLARS, instead of paying 75...oh darn, i feel the pain brother...damn napster supporters.

fraggle` said:

I saw that same report on CNN or something. It does make sense. I mean, you can take a cassette tape and record music off the radio, and yet record companies don't go around complaining about how radios have a record button or anything, and that doesn't affect CD sales, for the same reason Napster doesn't. It's just not the same as having the CD. Unless you have a fast internet connection and a CD burner, you won't be able to download and create your own CDs, and these are a lot more expensive and not as good of quality as buying the real things. I just hate the way record companies have this irrational fear of everything new. I think it would serve them right to end up losing record sales over this, as their fears are completely unfounded.

Stphrz said:

I would also like to add that a collection of a dozen or so crappy 128kbps mp3s is no substitute for an actual cd. The sound quality is adequate for sampling but is by no means anywhere near cd quality.

It does depend on the encoder. I've encoded a few of my tunes with different encoders and the difference in 128K is incredible. Some of them are near-cd quality, and unless you have a stereo system that a recording studio uses, you will hardly notice the missing frequencies and compression. When I add tracks I've gotten off Napster to existing CDs of mine, I try and find a 160k/192k version, they are usually near-original quality, and sometimes the same as the original if a good encoder was used.

fraggle` said:

Yea, because of napster, i know more artists than i would without it. I have even bought a few CD's because of Napster