Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Perforator

The BFG = good..The BFG = lame

Its been a target of attention since the dawn of time, oh ok since 1993 *sigh*, the cry of the bfg. Many people love this weapon and think it was a very smart choice for doom. Many happen to think anyone who uses this gun = Llama + newbie. But because this little matter hasent been talked about in a good while, let me be the jack ass that brings it up again.

Now I'm going to get my point across about how I like the bfg...

As we all know people that are owned constantly cry "UNFAIR", "I WAS LAGGED(I don't know if I should have added this one)", and "You have cheats". Alot of people have many excuses for lossing, but the one I hear about most of the time is "HE WAS CAMPING WITH THE BFG". If your gonna wine about a weapon that was ment to be in the game, then play a different game. Many games have there unfair weapons, Unreal Tournament has the redemer (no one wines about it), and In deadnails opinion..Quake 2 and Quake 3 have the rail gun.

Get over it people are going to use that gun, But if thats the only way you can win is with the bfg, and the only weapon you use is the bfg, then you are of course a freakin camper. It is ok to run in a room ever now and then and take out about 3 people with the bfg, but if thats the only way you can win then you have no skill.

If iD put this weapon into the game with ammo for it (and the plasma rifle) then it was ment to be used. If your gonna cry like a little bitch just because some dude decided just this one time he wanted to use the bfg, then your lame. Now if someone is camping the damn thing, don't cry like a 9 year old girl that had her first blood stain in here underwear, do what any self respecting doom vet would do, get the rest of the people to camp around the bfg ammo and the bfg, and gang up on him/her.

And crying unfair in deathmatch makes you look like a little kid. Its a fucking video game, grow up, life is not fair and if it was we all would have a red head with hughmongus boobs, do we, thats what I fucking thought. And flaming over a video game gets you no where in life, it was made for all people to have fun, not to make war out of it, so use the bfg every now and then (that doesent mean every battle, I mean every 4 or so battles just for the fuck of it).

Personally, I abstinate from using the BFG(in deathmatch). It just makes me feel like a wuss to use it.
It is actually somewhat interesting when someone starts to use the BFG with wreckless abandon though ;) You have to start acting like the "prey" and figure out a strategy to take the "predetor" out.

Guest JelloBiafra

I agree with you. Personally I enjoy taking out a couple of people at the same time with the BFG, but what I really like about the BFG is sneaking up behind someone who is using it and blowing 'em away with my super shotgun.

From behind? Nothing's more satisfying than standing in front of someone, hearing the whine of the BFG starting up, then hearing the person hurl curses at you because he had a meeting with your super shottie before the BFG finished firing :) Another fave tactic is to stand on top of a lift that you know someone is just going to use (E1M8 is a prime example of that)

I use the BFG in this manner:
First I get it, then I get some cells, then I run around from cell box to cell box, annihilating anyone in my path.
BTW, I think the BFG is excellent for large servers, clears the way for some 1 on 1 :)

Peter Heinemann said:

My favorite weapon is the single barreled shotgun - I really love it :-).

It's my favorite too.

I agree with you.

As a matter of fact, rather than banning the bfg in quake2, I petition to ban the RAILGUN.

The BFG can be used by anyone, quick to use, a lifetime to master. It isn't always an instant extra few frags anyways. It takes time to shoot the thing in which people can hear it powerup and duck behind a corner. Mastering the spray-cone is also a feat in and of itself.

In quake 2 it is abit easier to use because of the laser beams it shoots out - but it uses a whopping 50 cells (instead of 40) and there are lots of places people can duck out of danger in most quake2 DM maps. The most it usually does for a newbie is hurts a few people (and doesn't kill them). A master can get it to kill anyone - but you can only hold 4 shots (normally) and it does eat away at power armor (if you actually find it in any set game of Q2DM).

Railguns are extremly hard for us normal folks to use. Currently I have shot off about 70 shots in quake2 DM, 50 of which are actually legitimate (instead of shit-shooting), and have actually hit a person only about one or two times. Ping prevents alot of people from using the thing.

For some reason there is one guy in every DM game that can use the rialgun effectivly and he always seems to get upwards of 50 frags (or whatever the fraglimit is), only a few people I have seen do this with any other weapon (like the rocket launcher).

And woe to the people who for some reason thing a Quaddamage railgun is better than a Quaddamage chaingun (because the chiangun will do aobut 40 damage per shot under these circumstances and it is hard NOT to hit someone with it).

GooberMan said:

From behind? Nothing's more satisfying than standing in front of someone, hearing the whine of the BFG starting up, then hearing the person hurl curses at you because he had a meeting with your super shottie before the BFG finished firing :) Another fave tactic is to stand on top of a lift that you know someone is just going to use (E1M8 is a prime example of that)

I agree with pretty much everything said here and expected to find more disagreement on this subject. I'm an average doom2 player although I have played for several years and I won't be getting any better...too old. I like and use all of the weapons.
When I learned to play on DWANGO, BFG use was commonplace and there was never even the consideration not to include it if it was in the map. Of course, we played maps without it too.

It is not very easy to use well since you have to make most kills by "tracer" damage vs. direct hit. It also takes skill to avoid
it, and one thing that makes me sweat during a game is hearing it powering up and attempting to find cover or outmaneuver the shooter, then drop them.

I never thought best use of it was camping, but instead to run
into a more open area and seek position to spray visible players.

Now on csdoom, I'll find people who don't want to use it. That's ok too, I'll go along, but as soon as I hear someone else grab it, oh boy, let the party begin! :)

I also have a special place in my heart for rockets.

I agree with Biffy, The second someone else lets the bfg wind up its now in play... I try and ask before I intiate the bfg into a game... but if someone else starts , I'll be damned if I'm not about to do some blasting.

On Cs we have a lot of bfg spammers, which is kindof lame but doesn't really bother me since they run out ammo so soon.. I've never found spamming the bfg very effective though. About two consecutive bfg is about as many as I can aim at a time.

The only thing I see as being lame is to shoot the floor. Thats not a problem in CSDooM(since its been disabled) or an oldschool dm, but I have seen people doing this on the skulltag server(s). That's just something that doesn't sit well with me. But anyways, keep bfg'n...........

-bluntman

Guest Aradiel

Well said Perforator. I agree with everything there, but I think your missing one thing.

It's fun to be fragged by the BFG! Isn't it? I mean, doesn't it look cool to see a gibbed marine flying to the other side of the room after being hit by a huge blast of green energy? Or the way you watch from your view as you fly across the level? Hell, without the BFG, Doom would be lacking a 'controversial weapon'. :)