Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Need help with dehacked

I finally got Dehacked to work, (well, actually a month ago I got it to work) I've been doing some experimenting, but I ran into a little snag... In the text section, you can change anything in there right? (such as enemy names, pickup messages, etc.) Here's the problem that I have right now. Is there a way to change the minimum/maximum number of text you can input inside the textbox? For example, I want "OUR HERO" to be changed to "LIZARDCOMMANDO", but since I can have only up to 8 characters in the textbox, I'll have to try and think of another name to replace "OUR HERO". Another question, how do I change the obituaries? (I.E. In Zdoom, when you die from an enemy, such as an Archvile, it'll say "_________ was blasted by an Archvile" Where do you find the obituaries in Dehacked? Could someone please help me with my Dehacked problems?

ZDoom has a separate text lump for all those obituaries and every other message in the game. I can't remember the lump off the top of my head, but check out the ZDoom FTP for some info (somewhere) about the lump, and if you can't find it in there, ask at the ZDoom Phorums.

can i use dehacked to have some monsters go against others when they come into view?

"Dehacked has no obituary messages and the length of text strings are hardcoded. Use BEX."

Let me be more specific. Using zdoom, you can put the obituaries in a dehacked patch under the STRINGS section. This may technically be a bex function, but zdoom allows you to put all of the obit replacements in a dehacked lump. The dehacked data will be recognized and loaded by zdoom if the lump is contained in the wad by the name dehacked.

You will have to use a text editor to put the obits in the dehacked patch, dehacked.exe won't do it, which in a way agrees with Ling's point.

See Nigel's web page for loads of good dehacked stuff.