Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Kurgan

Why am I always running?

I am using a Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad to play Doom but the problem is, i'm always running. If i use the keyboard it's fine, and i've checked everything. There is no turbo button on the pad and there is no 'always run' option. I've never had this problem with any other game before and i'm playing the Doom Collectors Edition with the modern configuation setup outside the game, controls and all.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me, cheers.

Two things may be causing this. The first may be that you have accidently may have selected the always run option by pressing Caps Lock or you may need to update your Sidewinder drivers. If that doesn't help, check the manual and if that turns up no answers as well, you may want to contact Microsoft tech support or Call them about it.

Are you using Doom95 or original DOS doom? I remember there was an auto-run hack for the original DOS doom which involved messing with the joystick speed button bindings, so this may be related maybe (?)

I know that in zdoom the joyspeedmultiplier variable could be causing this, but if you're in old Vanilla Doom I'm not sure.

Anyway, best advice is to play with a sourceport.

Well, if it is doom 2 normal, Open default.cfg with notepad, and see if Joyb_speed is set to 31, which means autorun.

It's Doom95 i'm using. It's the Collectors Edition with all three games on it and the modern menus.

I tried all these things and nothing works. I've tried it with another joypad, i've reinstalled everything possible, i've pressed every single button during play, explored everywhre in the menus, i've even e-mailed Activition who didn't help and i now know for sure that there is NOT an always-run option. However, i tried playing an older version of Doom and it worked fine, so there is definitley nothing wrong with the joypad.

I'm using Win98 by the way and sorry for the delay, cheers.