Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Heinemann

Fate of ftp.cdrom.com

I could not find sleep, because...

Certainly much more important than the newbie discussion here is the fate of our archives at ftp.cdrom. In one comment someone said that our archive´s days are numbered and we all have to expect that it will vanish soon and everyone should download what he wants asap. How secure is that information? And when they deceide to trash our stuff will they make a backup or will it be gone forever?

How big is the archive in megabytes and would it be possible to upload it to another server if one would be available?

And what about this: Would it make sense to join forces and download the whole thing, everyone who likes to just one directory and then send CD-Rs to someone "supervisor" to compile the whole archive? One Doomer would have to download "a" another "b" and so on. That would give us the option to restore it (after finding a new server).

Would ftp make a backup of our archive and send it to - lets say Doomworld/Linguica - on request?

Loosing our archives would not only suck, it would be plain HORROR! If someone knows something, he might reply.

With Quake, ehmm I can not post the competition site here. Not sure why you are posting now. cdrom started charging for their services a while ago. And files can no longer be found there. Unless the files you are after, are at other mirror sites already, they are gone. Or they may have been moved to FreeFile... something but their search engines still do not work, and you can not get at any files there. So you may be skrewed already. Go and sleep I am sure Doomworld took care of it. Speaking of sleep, I got to get some myself.
In case this is bad news for you, I claim protection under the newbie status, even so I think I am not one, ‘I am too young to die’.

I'm just a little bit lucky...on Jan 2001 I mirrored all the Doom & Doom2 levels from cdrom.com to my HD ;-)

Guest deathwarrior

all? how big is it in total (MB)?

I know that man, it'll suck to see the way its goin. But there is other things in life more important than *the* FTP. I also just wanted to make fun of Peter Rabbit and his smackintosh.

MACVILEWHORE said:

You lost sleep over the fate of an FTP?!?! Shows you the type of people that use sMackintoshes.

MURRRRR-age

i am sure they backed it all up, besides all they are doing is moving the sever, that dont mean they got rid of anything. if i move my computer it dont mean a formated the hard drive. anyway this has also pissed me off cause i want to download eternal doom but cant

MACVILEWHORE said:

You lost sleep over the fate of an FTP?!?! Shows you the type of people that use sMackintoshes.

MURRRRR-age

It's CRAPINTOSH bro! He's probably using the IWHACK computer (gotta love user-friendlys strip, www.userfriendly.org for those who haven't seen it. Dat is some crazy shit!), and to top it off he has DESECRATED the mighty doom guys face! BURN HIS ASS!!!!

Whoh crap, you're right!! There isn't anything there anymore. It's just gone! That just SUCKS. I wonder where all the contents went...??

deathwarrior said:

all? how big is it in total (MB)?

It's approx a gigabyte...and with the nasty little scripts for my frontend I've build my own maximum Doom 2000 collection ;-)

Visit my page for more details.

Peter Heinemann said:

How big is the archive in megabytes and would it be possible to upload it to another server if one would be available?

We already have a full mirror of cdrom.com's Doom archive, ever since they put up that 'no links to our files without permission' thingie. Just in case.