Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fragg

all DOOM ports....rated by NIGHTMARE

Guest fragg

"nightmare-imp" asked "what are best ports?". He got some good answers.
But this long "answer" needs its own thread. (So read on, nightmare-imp)....

Some time ago NIGHTMARE reviewed all the Ports.
Plus --he rated them for "Ease Of Editing" (in case you want to use them to build your own maps).
His Review was so excellent, I saved it.
Here it is (thanks again NIGHTMARE!!) ..................................................................................................................
"OVERVIEW OF THE PORTS"
by NiGHTMARE (nick@frad.org)
Tue 2 Jan 17:13:
Here's overview of the current ports and why people use them. It can get confusing, as some ports have begun to "borrow" features from one another :)

**** BOOM - the "I-Want-Everyone-To-Play-My-.Wad" port. Levels made for Boom, will work in almost any other port, except of course the original .exe's, and JDoom. ID Software has announced this to be Doom.Exe's "true successor".
"Ease of editing" - 9.5/10 (basically same as Doom but with more linedef types)
---------------------------------------------------------------
**** DOOM.EXE - the seriously old schooler's port. Some people still use it, although as I've said, Boom levels will now work with almost any port, so there isn't really much point.
"Ease of editing" - 10/10 (Of course, its the normal .exe :) )
----------------------------------------------------------------
**** EDGE - the MOD maker's port. DDF allows you to change and add just about whatever you want in terms of enemies, weapons, power-ups, and so on. It also has true 3D.
"Ease of editing" - 6/10 (3D bridges are a tad tricky to implement, and DDF is pretty confusing at first, especially the way it has a million and one lumps available for editing)
-------------------------------------------------------------
**** JDOOM - the art critic's port. If you want Doom to look amazing, this is the port for you.
"Ease of editing" - 10/10 (identical to editing for doom2.exe)
-------------------------------------------------------------
**** LEGACY - the Quake lover's port. Why? It just FEELS like Quake somehow. Nice looks, a few editing functions (not much more than Boom though) and the an improved version of the true 3D code from Edge, and enhanced FraggleScript from SMMU.
"Ease of editing" - 7/10 (FraggleScript is apparently a lot less confusing than ACS)
-----------------------------------------------------------
**** MBF - the Doom perfectionists' port.
For some reason a few people view this as the perfect Doom port, although it is no longer being updated. It's also considered to be Boom+, as it's based on that port and MBF's creator also contributed greatly to Boom.
"Ease of editing" - 9/10 (not all that much more than Boom)
--------------------------------------------------------------
**** SKULLTAG - the editor's port plus. It's based on ZDoom, but has even more editing features, and is geared around a new mode of play (i.e. Skull Tag) that adds several new power-ups, new bot skins, etc. It also has client/server player, and may even get a GL mode in the future (with code from JDoom).
"Ease of editing" - 5/10 (Very similar to ZDoom editing)
-----------------------------------------------------------
**** SMMU - a couple of guys' port. MBF with various cool features thrown in, such as Fraggle Script. Unfortunately, very few people seem to have even heard of it.
"Ease of editing" - 8/10(same as MBF except FraggleScript, altho as noted for Legacy, it's supposedly pretty easy to pick-up)
--------------------------------------------------------
**** ZDOOM - the editor's port. Has hundreds of new features for level designers, including ACS scripting and now slopes. Team TNT announced this to be boom's true successor.
"Ease of editing" - 5/10 (can get VERY confusing. ACS is bad enough, but there's a tonne of different lump you can edit, such as MAPINFO, SNDINFO, SNDSEQ, ANIMDEFS, etc).
------------------------------------------------------------
ZDOOMGL - no-one's port. Why? It either doesn't load or crashes on 99.9% of computers (i.e. everyone's except the author's). Just wait for Skull Tag GL :)
"Ease of editing" - 4/10 (same as ZDoom, except now you can also mess around with MD2 objects if you want, which is probably a bit tricky).
---------------------------------------------------------
**** There's also PRBOOM and VAVOOM, but I don't know much about them right now; I generally only tend to download ports other than ZDoom and Skull Tag when there's a .wad that needs them :)
END **** www.doomworld.com/forums/general/messages/11746.shtml

"Legacy - the Quake lover's port. Why? It just FEELS like Quake"

No. Sorry, but I am glad that Doom still not feels like Quake.

Legacy in fact is a fantastic port, but Quake is a game with real 3D objects and monsters and even Edge is (thankfully!) not a polygon game.

And I am sure or hope that most Doomers (and I do not want to start another "true Doomer discussion") dislike games like Quake, Half Life or Ureal. Doom´s 2D sprite based artwork looks so much better. It is art.

Just read on the Legacy homepage what Legacy was ment to be: Just a enhancemet of the original engine in tradition of Doom´s look and feel. Not a new game like Quake.

And indeed SMMU was made just by Simon Howard = fraggle.

But thank you for giving that overview :-)

Personally I don't like quake dat much yo, but quake 2 is da bomb! Dat game is made tight!

Guest deathwarrior

HAYLO!

Arioch said:

SMMU, afaik, is fraggle's work alone, based off the MBF sources.

"a couple of guy's port" refers to the fact that only a couple of people actually USE it :) Shame, because it's a very nice port indeed. Some of the new stuff deserves to be put into ZDoom or Skull Tag.

"Legacy... the Quake lover's port. "
lol! there are often some jokes about zdoom and quake, let me see if I can find some..
.. erm no, but I found a few quotes that were involving situations comparing zdoom to quake:

<Aardappel> yeah ppl will take the quake source, remove mouselook, and replace those wank mdls by goodlooking sprites

[06:54pm] <sFraggle> I keep zdoom in my quake folder now

<Jon`> frad: listen }{ <Jon`> frad: you cant use the nick frad and say zdoom owns }{ <Jon`> frad: thats simply not allowed

Oh no I think I've lost my quotes.txt file :|

Guest fragg
NiGHTMARE said:

"a couple of guy's port" refers to the fact that only a couple of people actually USE it :) Shame, because it's a very nice port indeed. Some of the new stuff deserves to be put into ZDoom or Skull Tag.

N/M, any chance of getting u to "bone up" on PRBOOM and VAVOOM?
Then u could add it to your 'Overview of Ports' -- and we'd have your take on everything.
I have PRBOOM ver2.1.2 loaded (and cranked up to 1024x768 resolution).
It loaded into Doom2 real easy, without a hitch. Runs like a charm.
(That 1024x768 sure makes D2 look sweet).
fragg

esco said:

Personally I don't like quake dat much yo, but quake 2 is da bomb! Dat game is made tight!

um i dont mean to rade your party but quake2 sux all the grafix was shit.. quake1 was pritty cool, it was dark and scarry and with enemys popin out right in front of you...but doom2 owns still