Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geekmarine

Age of Empires has small Doom cameo?

Hey, I was playing Age of Empires Rise of Rome, and I noticed that the camel rider dying sounds suspiciously like one of the zombie death sounds. Does anyone know if either the camel sound was stolen from Doom or the zombie death sound is actually a camel? NOTE: I only played Age of Empires once. Of course Doom is the only game I ever play, I wouldn't even dream about playing anything else, in fact it's the only game on my hard drive and I don't even own any other games and you can't prove anything you dirty liars leave me alone I swear I've got a BFG and I think I know how to use it so don't even try to accuse me of not being a die-hard Doom fan... *GASP* much better now, okay, I'll admit, I *cough* play other games besides Doom *cough cough*. I think I'll go lie down now.

My brother has Age of Empires II on here, and the camel dying does have the same sound as the zombieman dying. I was like, "Hey, isn't that from Doom??" Funny...

The zombie noise is a camel grunt, I've heard similar ones on various nature shows.

Yeah but did you notice that the Ogre from Quake has a sound that's exactly like one from Duke3D? =)

Guest PFCGray
Vorpal said:

The zombie noise is a camel grunt, I've heard similar ones on various nature shows.

You know what? I also heard the zombie die sound in "The Prince of Egypt" (not that I like biblical kiddie stuff) somewhere near the end, but the camel wasn't dying, it just made that sound out of exhaustion or somethin. My sister even noticed that, and she doesn't even play DOOM! Is that scary?

deadnail said:

Yeah but did you notice that the Ogre from Quake has a sound that's exactly like one from Duke3D? =)

Hey, that's right! Only speeded up a little, though. That's the pig cop you're talking about, right?
By the way, that same sound was also on a commercial of some sort:
"Look daddy, a cougar!" <grrrrr...>
Now THAT was funny hearing that.

Oh, and how about on the 101 dalmations movie? My little brother's like watching it. That one horse neighs and it sounds just a pig cop dying on Duke Nukem: Zero Hour! lol

Guest Cacodemon Leade
elbryan42 said:

When you go up to a camel in Powerslave for the PSX, it makes that sound too.

Which sound: One of the Imp Dying Sounds or a Zombieman Dying sound. Since I beated the game, I think one of the camel's sounds is like one of the imp's sounds from PC DOOM.

A lot of sounds in games are taken from various archives, either on the 'net or in electronic libraries.

If you've ever watched the crappy sci-fi series Earth 2, the Grendels in that make zombie sounds too.

As another example, the skull cube firing sound has been used in literally dozens of films, usually for the start of a large fire.

While I'm here, The shotgun firing sound (both barrels) from Half-Life is also one of the explosion sounds in Worms 2.
Bet you didn't notice that one!

If you've ever seen Operation Dumbo Drop (family outing 6 years ago, I had to) one scene has the elephant making sounds, the first one is a trooper dying and the 2nd one is an imp dying. Also note that the Sabreclaws in Heretic have the same sounds as the dragons in WarCraft 2.

The companies hardly ever make their own sounds, they take or buy them from public archives like Nightmare said below. There's a lot more examples but I can't think of any right now.

Vorpal said:

me too

Guest David_A

I think that everybody just uses the same methods for creating sounds, which leads to very similar ones. I've heard the imp and zombie sounds countless times, probably since it's very easy to make them.