Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

apologies

Sorry haven't been here much, I also haven't been workin' on my projects cuz I am preoccupied with this PlanetDOOM (not up yet, but soon to be when the game comes out) situation. I might be one of the site's administrators along with "HellChick", a fellow Doomer and head of gamespy's hosted site, and a great site team as well. Just to let you all know, there will be some old school doom stuff on the new "PlanetDOOM". I will probably still be known as Mechasam when the site is up but who knows...

I dunno bout you but by looking at the screenshots of Doom3, my computer wont be able to catch up to them graphics..

http://www.gamespy.com/

PlanetDOOM? Hella cool. I love all those GameSpy sites. You can get links to all the best sites from them. Anyways, I agree that Doom3 might be too much. It will definately max out my 386 and might even be a little slow on my dad's 1ghz computer.

"Gamespy"? "HellChick"?

I don't know where you've come from but it definitely ain't the Kremlin.

MEWSE

ROFL I thought you were going to apologise for posting too much and it turned out to be the opposite!

Guest ZarcyB

"Sorry" he says.

Heh.

Try to be one 'new doom' site who DOES NOT rip off Doomworld's resource sections. It gets kinda old to see them scrambling to take our copied stuff stuff down after I've threatened to sue for copyright infringement.

i dont know what your talkin about "ripping" stuff off the doom resource section.. why would we want doom2 mp3s or source ports or graphics on a doom3 site anyways? we wouldnt even dare to steal any of your stuff/ideas because we know you and linguica and the moderators worked hard and we thank u guys for giving us doom news and such. no joke, i know a compliment sounds weird coming from me but thats what i have to say about that.

Jon said:

ROFL I thought you were going to apologise for posting too much and it turned out to be the opposite!

that too, even though u guys probably wont accept it

danarchist said:

PlanetDOOM? Hella cool. I love all those GameSpy sites. You can get links to all the best sites from them. Anyways, I agree that Doom3 might be too much. It will definately max out my 386 and might even be a little slow on my dad's 1ghz computer.

im glad to hear it

yeah they should make a special doom 3 version for the geFORCE3-challenged :)

Jon said:

He hasn't posted here much at all recently, that probably wouldn't be necessary. Besides I've got 11 times more posts than him anyways :)

Mechasam said:

i dont know what your talkin about "ripping" stuff off the doom resource section.. why would we want doom2 mp3s or source ports or graphics on a doom3 site anyways? we wouldnt even dare to steal any of your stuff/ideas because we know you and linguica and the moderators worked hard and we thank u guys for giving us doom news and such. no joke, i know a compliment sounds weird coming from me but thats what i have to say about that.

Nothing personal, but 9 out of 10 new Doom sites start their life by copying our stuff. And I literally mean copying, spelling mistakes and all. One of those sites was Fileplanet, a GSI affiliate. Cashing in on the new Doom game announcement, I guess. I was about to press all the little red buttons when they finally took our stuff down.

Just saying, let's avoid that situation.

Mordeth said:

Try to be one 'new doom' site who DOES NOT rip off Doomworld's resource sections.

Heh, is there even such a thing?

Mordeth said:

Nothing personal, but 9 out of 10 new Doom sites start their life by copying our stuff. And I literally mean copying, spelling mistakes and all. One of those sites was Fileplanet, a GSI affiliate. Cashing in on the new Doom game announcement, I guess. I was about to press all the little red buttons when they finally took our stuff down.

Just saying, let's avoid that situation.

u got my curiousity going now:

this is just a plain question (nothing to do with doom or whatever), can you sue someone for something thats free? how would you be able to sue someone by simply stealing text? i have seen halflife.net do it all the time to planethalflife.com and i have seen halflife.axg.com do it all the time to halflife.net

im not familiar with the legal system and how it works so its just a question, dont take it the wrong way.

Lüt said:

Heh, is there even such a thing?

no offense to doomworld, but when planetdoom opens up, why would they want doom/doom2 resources anyways? zdoom is dead compared to doom3, and the doom2 mp3s... well lets just say that you can buy a Korn CD instead :)

the resources in planetdoom will only be about doom3... considering doom and doom2 are old-school (but damn good games).

Mechasam said:

u got my curiousity going now:

this is just a plain question (nothing to do with doom or whatever), can you sue someone for something thats free? how would you be able to sue someone by simply stealing text? i have seen halflife.net do it all the time to planethalflife.com and i have seen halflife.axg.com do it all the time to halflife.net

im not familiar with the legal system and how it works so its just a question, dont take it the wrong way.

quoting someone's content for the purpose of criticism or to verify a fact is considered fair use.

copying someone's content is illegal if you haven't been given permission, even if you credit them (eg. "HAY DO YOU WANT THESE COPIES OF HANNIBAL I PRINTED OUT, IT IS WRITTEN BY THOMAS HARRIS!!", it's copyright infringement)

information is only free if it is in the public domain, and it doesn't have any copyrights on it.

Mechasam said:

this is just a plain question (nothing to do with doom or whatever), can you sue someone for something thats free? how would you be able to sue someone by simply stealing text?

It's really amazing how people throw away common sense when dealing with internet stuff. If a site copies our source port section (that is, copying our layout, descriptions etc - I'm not talking about the actual files) then they are stealing from us. Same goes for the tutorials up here, or reviews (coming up soon).

If new Doom sites (for both 'classic' Doom as Doom3) want to have such resources, they ought to go out and do all that stuff themselves. Writing a new review of the same levels we have reviewed is (legally) fine, but copying those reviews is definately not.

Of course, most Doom3 sites that spring up now have no frigging idea what has been happening in our community these last few years. Tough luck for them. But that's no excuse to go stealing from other sites.