Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest some guy I know

Mirror of ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels

Guest some guy I know

I have a mirror of ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/levels, including the doom, doom2, hacx, heretic, hexen, reviews, and (empty) strife subdirectories.
It's 1,154,053,444 bytes, 13,108 files in 131 subdirectories.
Many (but not all) of the files are date-preserved.
I last mirrored it on 2001-02-20, so it's missing any files added within the last month.
If someone has a ***public, high-bandwidth, easily-accessible, open-to-the-public (anonymous access)*** ftp server and has a U.S. snail-mail address, I could put the archive on a couple of cd-roms and mail it to you.

Send me email at doom-archive@sgik.org if you are interested.
If ftp.cdrom.com gets their act together and puts the archive back up on their site, this offer is null and void.

I DO have an FTP, and would love to put them up. Unfotunatly I'm in Canada, so I'm assuming snail mail is out of the question. However, if you have hi-speed, it's just an upload away...

Guest some guy I know

Well, the reason that I wanted to send only to someone in the U.S. was that I didn't want to have to go through all the hassle of trying to figure out the cost of sending a couple of cd-roms halfway around the world.
Plus, I don't know in what condition the CDs would arrive.
Mailing to Canada probably would be OK, but I would rather upload.
Unfortunately, I have only a 56K modem line (actually closer to 33K).
However, I downloaded all of those files over 56K, so I suppose I could upload them.
If you could tell me where your FTP site is, I could zip up each directory and upload one at a time.
It would probably take about a week to do the entire thing.

Sounds great. But you may not have to upload them. I think someone else has them here. I just have to clean off the hard drive first. But since yours is recent, you'll have some newer files. So, you'll definitely get an upload account. Just keep your eyes open.

Guest fragg

What's wrong with storing here at Doomworld?

Guest some guy I know
elbryan42 said:

Sounds great. But you may not have to upload them. I think someone else has them here. I just have to clean off the hard drive first. But since yours is recent, you'll have some newer files. So, you'll definitely get an upload account. Just keep your eyes open.

OK, I just tried to upload into the directory you created for me on your FTP site, but I got a "Permission denied" error (presumably because I was using the login and password in your sig line, which I assume is a read-only account).
However, I just noticed on the main page here that there was an article reporting that the ftp.cdrom.com site should be returning late in the day on Monday.
If this is the case, I would prefer not to upload to your site because, as I mentioned, it will take up to a week to do so.
If you want, I can give you a copy of my mirroring software, and then you can mirror the archive yourself at cable-modem speed.
My mirroring software is a utility that came with the Python development system (www.python.org).
I have modified the original code so that it preserves the dates on mirrored files, and doesn't try to redownload a file whose date format changes from hh:mm to yyyy (which happens on *NIX FTP servers when a file is over 6 months old).

I think it's a good idea for there to be at least one mirror of the ftp.cdrom.com site, just in case something happens to that site again.
If I ever get high-speed net access, I may do it myself.

Oh. well that's an old post. cdrom.com was supposed to have the stuff up about 2 weeks ago. anyways, king elvis also has a backup, but I think it's about a year old, so I can get most of the stuff from him. Once I get all of his backup, I'll email you an upload account. That is, unless ftp.cdrom.com puts that stuff back up. Anyways, enjoy the site! There's something for everyone on there.

Guest slayer1

I have the whole /idstuff dir of cdroom.com up on my site
http://slayer1.dhs.org just click the "idstuff" link on the left..

Guest some guy I know

Now I don't need to spend hours uploading stuff.