Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aradiel

What Skill level do you play?

Guest Aradiel

What difficulty level do you play? I, personally, play Ultra-Violence, but I play the normal iD Doom levels at Nightmare, since I know them better than the back of my hand. I wish there was something in between UV and Nightmare. Sigh.

I usually play UV because my hands are used to hitting this in the order of startup:

space, enter, down, enter

Thats for doom2 of course :)

That can depend soley on the Doom game I am playing! Most of the time I just crank the difficulty as high as it will go.. except when I play Final Doom. I will only play on Ultra-Violence. Nightmare on that one is just a little too insane for me at the time! The there are some Doom games (Ports only) where either the name of the difficutly has changed.. or it just won't go as high. In the case of Doom 64, I'll play on the hardest; Watch Me Die! And in the case of PSX Final Doom.. Ultra Violence, cause it won't go to nightmare! I find the PSX version of Final Doom slightly easier than the PC version.. so if Nightmare was available, I'd pick it!

Guest LordUnum
Aradiel said:

I wish there was something in between UV and Nightmare. Sigh.

There is.... only you have to start the game via the "-warp" parameter at the command-line. To play at this middle-ground between "normal" UV, and Nightmare, type:

(favorite source port executable) -warp (level) -skill 4 -fast

for example:

zdoom -warp 1 -skill 4 -fast

Monsters will shoot, and recover quicker. Projectiles will also travel faster. Basically, this is Nightmare without the respawning enemies. FYI, I play at this skill level for the most part.

Ultra violence on the psx is the best. It's harder than the PC versions, plus it has the doom 2 enemies in doom 1! PC ultra violence doesn't compare.

Ralphis said:

I usually play UV because my hands are used to hitting this in the order of startup:

space, enter, down, enter

Thats for doom2 of course :)

Yo, two words: ultra violence... Is there even any other skill level? ;)

EXCEPT on doom 64, I play on the hardest setting (watch me die!!), for dat game!!

P.S. and for my next trick, me and uncle fidel castro will bomb ralphis' house to da ground!!! I have already made his car, AND his copy of doom 2, disappear!
;P

alas, nightmare is a little over the top for me, but I can get thru the whole game (doom 1) in about 30 minutes on ultra-violence

There is a skill level between Ultra-Violence and Nightmare =]

If you add -fast to the command line - it will be like Nightmare but without double ammo and respawning monsters. The monsters will be more aggressive and more relentless. I'd like to see some demos of you playing doom1 with the -fast paramater implememnted. =] I play on Ultra Violence, and I still play doom 1 =].

Lost Soul said:

That can depend soley on the Doom game I am playing! Most of the time I just crank the difficulty as high as it will go.. except when I play Final Doom. I will only play on Ultra-Violence. Nightmare on that one is just a little too insane for me at the time! The there are some Doom games (Ports only) where either the name of the difficutly has changed.. or it just won't go as high. In the case of Doom 64, I'll play on the hardest; Watch Me Die! And in the case of PSX Final Doom.. Ultra Violence, cause it won't go to nightmare! I find the PSX version of Final Doom slightly easier than the PC version.. so if Nightmare was available, I'd pick it!

You must be damn good at DOOM.

Guest ZarcyB

Ultraviolence for me.

Guest Aradiel
Hellbent said:

If you add -fast to the command line - it will be like Nightmare but without double ammo and respawning monsters. The monsters will be more aggressive and more relentless. I'd like to see some demos of you playing doom1 with the -fast paramater implememnted. =] I play on Ultra Violence, and I still play doom 1 =].

Alright Hellbent, you wanna see me play? Just tell me how to record .lmps, and I'll be glad to show you.

zdoom -record mymap04 //records the demo
zdoom -playdemo mymap04 //playes the demo

remember that the port you record in will only play with the same port, meaning you cnat record a demo in zdoom and play it with legacy, or record a demo with normal doom2.exe and play it with zdoom

I always play untra-violence.

But you see, the thing is, this is with my mod.

DeathTC (the mod im working on) features much tougher gameplay than normal doom.

My mod, being designed for edge, adds lots of weapons, some enemies, and replaces absolutly no maps! This is not some cheezy "throw a million monsters at you" thing, the monsters are lots tougher and faster here.

After playing deathTC, doom on ultraviolence - or even nightmare will look like a walk in the park.

DeathTC on ultraviolence is much like doom on nightmare or even a step beyond, it builds fast reactions, resource management, and requires you to choose your weapons wisely.

DeathTC used to be a multiplayer mod for those who dont want crappy bots (that seem to spin circles around you? how original or fun is that?), but it has mutated into almost a TC.

i play ultra-violence all the time. hey try my new maps that are coming out. very difficult many hard enemies and little ammo

Guest Aradiel
Hellbent said:

Heh, Hellbent, how do you want me to send you the .lmp? :)

sirgalahadwizar said:

I always play untra-violence.

But you see, the thing is, this is with my mod.

DeathTC (the mod im working on) features much tougher gameplay than normal doom.

My mod, being designed for edge, adds lots of weapons, some enemies, and replaces absolutly no maps! This is not some cheezy "throw a million monsters at you" thing, the monsters are lots tougher and faster here.

After playing deathTC, doom on ultraviolence - or even nightmare will look like a walk in the park.

DeathTC on ultraviolence is much like doom on nightmare or even a step beyond, it builds fast reactions, resource management, and requires you to choose your weapons wisely.

DeathTC used to be a multiplayer mod for those who dont want crappy bots (that seem to spin circles around you? how original or fun is that?), but it has mutated into almost a TC.

here's an idea... put doom 2 enemies in doom 1. doom 1 is much too easy on ultra violence. even with fast monsters on. the first level on the psx has a pain elemental and a chaingunner, plus a lot more enemies than the pc version. we're talking enemies in just about every secret. mowing down 10 enemies at a time.

by the way, i'm almost done serious sam. and i must say, doom doesn't seem as hard and insane anymore...

Guest deathwarrior

yo, where have you been? i havent seen you on IRC for ages.

btw, i always play at least Hurt Me Plenty. i havent played on a lower skill for about a year at least.

elbryan42 said:

here's an idea... put doom 2 enemies in doom 1. doom 1 is much too easy on ultra violence. even with fast monsters on. the first level on the psx has a pain elemental and a chaingunner, plus a lot more enemies than the pc version. we're talking enemies in just about every secret. mowing down 10 enemies at a time.

by the way, i'm almost done serious sam. and i must say, doom doesn't seem as hard and insane anymore...

About the only enemies that give me trouble anymore (the kind you wanna kill right away) are the pain elementals and the spider-masterminds.

All the other monsters just plain suck because you can dodge their shots really easy, or they are easy to kill.

(archvile = walk behind post, revenant = walk behind another enemy or run really fast, chaingunner = shoot him with a shotgun).
-----
In my mod, most enemies are tougher and their shots either do more damage or travel faster (or both!).
For instance: The imps now shoot some kind of energy pulse, and they have random chance of shooting more than one of them in any set attack mode (seen up to 10 fired in a row). Each one of these shots can strip up to 50 health off of you (random tho, usually does 25 - 30), and they all travel as fast as the original doom rocket.

sephiroth said:

i play ultra-violence all the time. hey try my new maps that are coming out. very difficult many hard enemies and little ammo

I don't like the lots of enemies approach, I like my enemies to be tougher an meaner by themselves in their own right. Think about a cyberdemon shooting a bfg blast... he's tougher to beat than three cyberdemons combined, but yet it is a different experience.

Which is more fun:
*Being chased by 100 imps who get felled one by one every time you shoot your shotgun.
*Being chased by 20 imps with 5x the health of a normal imp and their shots do double damage (and travel faster), they end up chasing you all over the entire freaking level before you start getting scared (that there will be one around every freaking corner) and resort to your rocket launcher or plasma rifle.

i rest my case.

Guest Aradiel
deathwarrior said:

yo, where have you been? i havent seen you on IRC for ages.

btw, i always play at least Hurt Me Plenty. i havent played on a lower skill for about a year at least.

Well, I've been fed up. I never get anything to test, no one bothers to inform me of any changes or tries to get my opinion. And I have been on IRC, and you never message me when I'm there. So you can officially count me out of the project, unless you are willing to actually include me in it.

Heh, right since the start of doom there has been a whole load of macho posturing about the difficulty level people play on. A friend of mine wouldn't play on anything other than UV, even though he got his ass kicked every time, simply because he thought it made him look hard, therby proving something entirely different about himself.

I'm not saying people who have posted here are particularly falling into that category. I doubt anyone who visits this place finds Doom1 much of a challenge on UV any more. The way I play it is to get over 100% health and then try never to fall below again on UV.

For other wads, mods and whatever all I can say is I haven't played on anything easier than "I'm too young to die" with -nomonsters, IDDQD and IDKFA ever. :-)

Guest deathwarrior
Aradiel said:

Well, I've been fed up. I never get anything to test, no one bothers to inform me of any changes or tries to get my opinion. And I have been on IRC, and you never message me when I'm there. So you can officially count me out of the project, unless you are willing to actually include me in it.

yeah, but whenever i come on, your asleep. there is a 16-18 hour time difference you know between here and the USA.

Guest Aradiel

I don't live in the USA. And whenever I'm on at ungodly hours of the night, I never see anyone from the project on anyways.