Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

A good idea for a Co-op server

OK, I mentioned this idea a couple of times on the Zdaemon forum, but oone paid any attention to it.

I want a Vrack 2 co-op server.

Personally, I cannot launch a server due to my firewall, but I realy want to have people play Vrack2b.wad co-op with me. It'll keep people busy, and it's an incredable level.

Oh well, tell me what you think.

I think I will do it for you. Tonight (Thurs.) if I can. I wonder if I need to (or can) increase heapsize. I'm guessing it's not needed since zserver.exe does not display graphics, just text. Anyone know for sure?

Settings will be weapons stay, ammo, armor and health respawn. UV. Is that good?

Doesn't have to be UV, you tell me what you all want.

Just did a test...in fact, the heapsize does need to be increased, zserver crashes with a z_malloc error otherwise. It's fine when started with the +heapsize 16 argument.

This might also be necessary for zdaemon clients. I don't know if there is a place in the zdaemon launcher to specify heapsize, could someone check that out please? If there is not, you might need to start zdaemon with +heapsize 16 on the command line, then connect to the server IP and port (which you can read from zlauncher). It should be the only server running vrack2b, brought to you by rarefiles. :)

How about right now? That way I can get a look at how it works, can see your console messages. I'll be AFK most of the time though. Check it out and report, soldier!

it doesn't seem to want to show up on IDE, but with ZDaemon I see it. I had to rename my file to VRack2b, but then it quit when I started to play. Crap

Doom II Guy said:

it doesn't seem to want to show up on IDE, but with ZDaemon I see it. I had to rename my file to VRack2b, but then it quit when I started to play. Crap

IMPORTANT:

Vrack2.wad and Vrack2b.wad are two different WADs.
Vrack2b.wad has bug fixes, the other does not.

OK, I see that Nimrod and MOOODZ have connected and disconnected. Are you guys setting your heapsize up from the default of 8?

In the zdlauncher, go to settings, extra zdaemon parameters, put -heapsize 16. Now, go launch rarefiles. It's working OK, I just went in.

No, it's back. I had made a mistake on the dmflags, there were no monsters. It's fixed now.

First try....this wad may be too much for zdaemon. I can't play it without heapsize 16....isn't there any way to put additional parameters in to ide? If not, use zlauncher.exe which comes with zdaemon. See my post above.

Perhaps there are too many monsters for zdaemon to run smoothly. If it does not smooth out, I'll restart the server at lowest skill to see if it is better. It's on UV now.

Insomniac, I see you timing out. It may be that the intranet here is very busy and ping goes to hell. Or, could be on your end. If things don't improve soon, I'll restart the server with lower skill to reduce monster count. This machine should not be a problem, it's 2.2 Ghz P4, 512 MB RAM.

it's weird...i can play good for about a minuite, the i start jumping all over the place, unable to fire or open doors, then finally, your server disconnects.

OK, I think I have a problem here with network collisions...there are 5000 people here using their computers. In a couple of hours, things should become more stable. Let's try again later, around 6:00 Pacific, or a bit later.

ill be there in 5 min at most. however, i have never played vrac2 before, so i will probably suxor.

It's rocking now, check it out.

Edit: I just realized I said bad info in some posts way back. It was -heapsize 16 not +heapsize 16.

oblivion said:

I have never played Vrack2 before, so I will probably suxor.

Don't worry, I have played it a few times and I still suck. A LOT.

Guys, guys, this is coop, those same ol' doom2 monsters! Just try not to shoot your teammates. :)

oblivion said:

why does mine keep on hanging? :(

Is it only on vrack2b, or do you not have zdaemon working at all?

Any level with *alot* of monsters is going to be very laggy. Cause you have to think, every 1 second, zdaemon updates thing positions, states, etc...17 times!

So naturally, more monsters, more bandwidth. And we all know lag + zdaemon/csdoom = crash/problems. Gonna maybe use this as test wad for future version to see if this problem can be a little less hazardious.

NF, things sorted out pretty well. It must help plenty that the serving machine is P4 2.2 Ghz. The lag and crash problems we had at first cleared up when the server's LAN quieted down.

With lots of monsters, is the workload mostly on the server to update state internally, or is there also increased network data transmitted to update the game state on all clients? You said more bandwidth was needed...do you mean that a server will support fewer clients when the wad has more monsters, with the client data rates held fixed? If that's the case, would setting the server max_rate down, maybe 2500 or 3000, help as more clients joined?

Biffy said:

Is it only on vrack2b, or do you not have zdaemon working at all?

zdaemon crashes regularly, but not always, but always on vrack2b.