Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stooge999x

question about DooM 64 engine

I admit, DooM 64 was my first doom, and I still love it, although the original doom for pc is my favorite. My question is about the engine in doom 64. If I'm not mistaken, doom 64 uses 2d wads like all the other doom games. I was playing through some old levels though, and I noticed in level 10 or 11 or so, that they had bridges that could be crossed or walked under. I'm still new to editing, but I did see a tutorial on this on this page, and how it uses the floor raise and lower technique. Is this how they did that in doom 64 (I think I did hear the floor raise and lower), or is doom 64 actually 3d?

On another note, the n64 sucks. In honor of doom 3 coming out, id should rerelease doom 64 for the pc.

Guest Liam the Bard

The only way 3d bridges can be made with the 2d (3d hack) doom engine is w/beams and not a real floor. If the doom64 bridges are not made of crossbeams and you can still walk over and under them, then it's 3d.
I have the game but I haven't played in a while. Ill check it out if I find time.

since 3d is only impemented in a few levels, my guess is that it's the same old 2d engine. i'm assuming that the bridges were created using sprites, just like in duke nukem 3d or boom.

cheese and bacon.
Just like that,I think it's somewhat 3d in ways and 2d in others,yes?Seeing as im not good with making levels and all so I wouldent know,so I'll let it be.

Liam the Bard said:

The only way 3d bridges can be made with the 2d (3d hack) doom engine is w/beams and not a real floor. If the doom64 bridges are not made of crossbeams and you can still walk over and under them, then it's 3d.
I have the game but I haven't played in a while. Ill check it out if I find time.

This is Doom 64! The programmers could do anything they wanted witht those levels. It was probably a modified engine like edge.

Doom64 isn't really doom, it's very different. So don't try to compare the engines, doom64 doesn't use wads, or any of the level design features of the PC doom.

I don't know for certain about DooM64, but what they did for the other consoles is sell them the source code and then it was tweaked in some areas appropriate for the environment it was run in.

The same data formats (WAD) are used, although byte order is flipped and other tweaks could be done to save space.

So it's likely even DooM64 is derived from basically the same engine, only because it's so easy to do.

well, for most console ports (especially shooters), the development gets handed to over to a company like Midway or Bullfrog, and they take the engine into a dark room in the back of the shop(metaphorically speaking), and then you hear the most gut wrenching grindy-choppy-chruchy sounds...for about 8 months, and when the door opens and the smoke clears, there's a shiny new version of Q3A/UT/whatever that runs straight off the CD, and you only need 32Mb ram, and 4Mb vram(in other words, a PS2), because it's been almost completely rewritten from the ground up.

In the case of DOOM64, they decided to make some nifty additions to their build of the engine. =)