• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

WTF?

http://www.gameboy.com/darkarena/index.html

Third picture down...

is it just me, or are those columns SHAWN2?

No, but they really look the same. The ones on DooM had a better tiling. Anyway, this isn´t a really hard to do texture...

Zeratul 982 said:

Sure looks like it. It's on the 4th pic down as well.

No floor or ceiling textures? What's up?

I guess they haven´t figured out a fast way to render the textures on non-Z axis. Since there´s no graphics API in the GBA, it´s more harder than what you think.

Sure looks like it to me. Same shading, same poor tiling. Yep. Good call shawn2 man :)

Eeew! That is really ugly! The enemies look like semianthropomorphic blobs and the doomguy looks like some trooper from sector Z of the beta quadrant (AKA not at all like Doomguy).

And to confirm those suspicions, Ill have to agree with everyone that they look a lot like SHAWN2 if not a close copy.

Linguica said:

WTF?

ARRGH, WHAT IS IT!!!!?!??!?!!?!?! ITS HORRIBLE!!! ARRGH!!!! HIDE THE BACON AND GARLIC POWDER, AND DON'T FORGET TO WIPE!!!!!!

OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Make it stop, kill it, kill it, goddamn it yo KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(esco and his crew open fire on da monster, along wit 90% of doomworld!)

Guest deathwarrior

holy shit, it is too.

Zaldron said:

I guess they haven´t figured out a fast way to render the textures on non-Z axis. Since there´s no graphics API in the GBA, it´s more harder than what you think.

hey, the SNES version of DOOM had no floor or ceiling textures(flats) either.

Now, I know the GBA is supposedly "twice as powerful as the snes", however vague that may be (basically just what Nintendo says), but SNES DOOM used the Super FX chip, so that combination probably adds up to what the GBA can do(again, not precisely sure).

Also, the resolution for that version was lower than the original, and the framerate dragged some serious booty(my eyes were killing me by the end of the first level).
The GBA runs at an even lower resolution, so I'm not sure how playable that version will be =( I should probably cut it some slack though, I mean, it is a handheld system. sure beats springin for a laptop ^__^

yeh that texture is shawn2...or something very similar. On the actual game itself it's probably an early beta, but it does look a bit bland. I hope it's a lot better than the snes version, cuz it sucked. oh and the snes version had a super FX2 chip...which was more powerfull again, and it was still slow and crap.

message to the terminally confused: that page isn't screenshots from the Doom conversion to GBA. It's an entirely different GBA FPS game, called Dark Arena. So stop writing about the Doom port, that page isn't at all relevant to it.

True :). I've got no idea about that, except that it's not sure that it really is id's shawn2 texture exactly, though it does look *very* similar - as someone else has remarked, it's a quite common and easily-achievable texture effect...

On the 9th picture down, the upper textures look like WOOD12, or one of those wood textures.