Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Don Incognito

Boy, I'm sure excited about the GBA Doom!

Recommended Posts

Just think of the posiblities...

-playing Doom outside the house and possibly whilst jogging.
-playing Doom near other people so they can hear your insane screams of joy and/or pain.

But, there's only 4 buttons.. see?
http://www.gameboy.com/images/purplebig.jpg

How do you cirlce strafe with 4 buttons?

Share this post


Link to post

yeah, that's the tricky part.


I guess A and B would be attack and use, L and R would strafe(duh), select would cycle weapons, and the automap would be accessed from the menu that comes up when you pause.

Bet you can't guess what the D-pad does ^__^

Unfortunately, this leaves you without a run button, but most shooters nowadays have an autorun option anyway.

I'm just worried that it'll run as badly as the SNES version.
(see other GBA DOOM post below)

Share this post


Link to post

"L and R would strafe(duh),"

If that was so, what would turn left and right be? There would have to be a strafe/turn toggle or just turning otherwise you would have to go through the entire level facing the same direction. Hmm, we are running out of buttons fast aren't we?

An old setup I had in with my right mouse button for a while might work. Pressing and holding the use allows strafing, but a double tap "uses" switches and doors.

Share this post


Link to post

How can you play a handheld game whilst jogging!?

But yeah, I want a game boy advance with Doom just to get through lectures.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Doom4Ever
Enjay said:

"L and R would strafe(duh),"

If that was so, what would turn left and right be? There would have to be a strafe/turn toggle or just turning otherwise you would have to go through the entire level facing the same direction. Hmm, we are running out of buttons fast aren't we?

An old setup I had in with my right mouse button for a while might work. Pressing and holding the use allows strafing, but a double tap "uses" switches and doors.

Dude, if L and R strafed then the left and right on d-pad would turn left and right. come on and think dude(no offence) but a turn/strafe toggle would really suk.

yeah i havent posted here in a long time and nobody remembers me buti remember all of you and its good to see familiar faces again.

Share this post


Link to post

I am simply amazed that it is possible to port Doom to the Gameboy (even without any floor and ceiling textures). Of course I will buy that Gameboy (never thought of buying one before) when the game really comes.

Share this post


Link to post

hmm.. an autorun would make it easier to play, this way there will be both strafe left and right. just hope it's not like the strafe left and right like in snes doom. on the snes, it won't let you circle strafe! you can in wolf3d, but not doom.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, you guys are going on about the strafing but what about the weapon selection?

It should be like Turok 2.

Press select and an on-screen popup ring menu appears. Then, press up on the crosspad to select fist/chainsaw, up right for pistol, right for shotgun/super shotgun, downright for chaingun, down for rocket launcher, down left for plasma rifle, left for bfg and I guess up left for the laser rifle from Doom64. =)

See a baron and want to switch to your super shotgun?
Select, right. Easy, not select select select select just to get to it, all the while the fucker is pounding your head in. =)

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Point

I think many of these conflicts would be solved if they implemented some kind of control configuration option. That would be very nice.

Hey! I thought this would jump to the bottom of the page and be aligned. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest DIRE
Enjay said:

"L and R would strafe(duh),"

If that was so, what would turn left and right be? There would have to be a strafe/turn toggle or just turning otherwise you would have to go through the entire level facing the same direction. Hmm, we are running out of buttons fast aren't we?

An old setup I had in with my right mouse button for a while might work. Pressing and holding the use allows strafing, but a double tap "uses" switches and doors.

If you have a config where you toggle between turn and strafe then there is no way u can be good. Circle Strafing is a Fundamental Technique in FPS. I suggest you learn it, because if you dont, even the newbies will 0wn all over you. as for Doom on GBA in general, The idea is cool, but based on the Full Motion Video i downloaded from here, looks like the framerates suck. So im not getting as excited as i would be otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Epistax
Doom4Ever said:

Dude, if L and R strafed then the left and right on d-pad would turn left and right. come on and think dude(no offence) but a turn/strafe toggle would really suk.

yeah i havent posted here in a long time and nobody remembers me buti remember all of you and its good to see familiar faces again.

so how do you fire? enter?
ok so how do you bring up options? select?
ok so how do you open doors? pray?

Share this post


Link to post
deadnail said:

Well, you guys are going on about the strafing but what about the weapon selection?

It should be like Turok 2.

Press select and an on-screen popup ring menu appears. Then, press up on the crosspad to select fist/chainsaw, up right for pistol, right for shotgun/super shotgun, downright for chaingun, down for rocket launcher, down left for plasma rifle, left for bfg and I guess up left for the laser rifle from Doom64. =)

See a baron and want to switch to your super shotgun?
Select, right. Easy, not select select select select just to get to it, all the while the fucker is pounding your head in. =)

YES! That is an awsome idea! They should do that! Too bad none of my friends like Doom, much less GBA....Oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Epistax said:

so how do you fire? enter?ok so how do you bring up options? select?ok so how do you open doors? pray?

oh my, I didn't think such a simple explanation could cause so much confusion =)

I actually said that (A) fires, and (B) opens doors.
I just used the words "attack" and "use" because some weapons don't fire projectiles, and there are switches.

The D-Pad basically takes the place of the mouse.

I'm not saying the controls will be a joy to use, but its just about the only logical to work all the basic functions into such a limited number of buttons.

oh, and options is START...like I said before ^__^

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Epistax

I wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to someone who responded to your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
×