Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Oldstuff underdogs

I've been looking through some old PC magazine coverdisks later and have found several great levels that I've never played or even heard of before (they don't even seem to be on cdrom.com). One in particular, Painless, dates from around the end of 1994 but could easily pass for a modern level.

I'll get around to putting these levels up somewhere soon, but in the meantime has anyone else got any great, old levels that they think no-one else has ever played?

Yeh I just found an old cd I must have bought years ago "The ultimate add on collection for Doom/Doom2" from softkey, loads of old doom wads on it I can never play as I lost and never bothered to re-get Doom since moving on to Doom2, on the cd is a util to convert doom wads to play on doom2, must have a play around with it soon

Guest fraggle`

<shameless plug> smmu lets you play doom I levels under doom 2 </shameless plug>

Guest LordUnum
NiGHTMARE said:

I'll get around to putting these levels up somewhere soon, but in the meantime has anyone else got any great, old levels that they think no-one else has ever played?

Hmmm.... well, I haven't heard anyone else ever mention TREE3 before when mentioning great WAD's of the past. I believe it was by Greg Lewis (of DeHackEd fame I think). I remember downloading it on my 2400-bps Hayes modem as soon as it appeared on Software Creations BBS in June '94, as I had been a fan of his previous 2 levels, TREE1, and TREE2. TREE1, and TREE2 were both very playable levels, with the difference between the two being that while TREE2 was almost up to par with the original Doom levels in terms of layout, and map design (impressive considering this was May '94), TREE1 stuck to the "oldest"-skool (when the earliest user-created levels were released in March-April '94) method of creating levels using HUGE, simple, awkward shapes for rooms, and almost hap-hazard monster placement. TREE3, on the other hand, could easily pass for a GOOD three-level set TODAY. Looking back on his two levels makes TREE3 even more remarkable, as you can see Greg's map-making skills progress from mediocre, to outstanding in less than 2 months!

TREE3 is a set of 3 levels for Doom (1), along with replaced music for each level. The levels may also be unique in that they may be the earliest levels to "flow" into one another (one beginning just where the other took off). Nice architecture, layout, ammo/health distribution, and traps, esp. considering this is a product from some of the earlier days of Doom add-ons!

back in the day,i bought a cd called demon gate,over 600 levels for doom and doom 2.
I still play it to this day,i've been looking for new wad collection cd's but cant find any new ones.I also have a few others from back in the day.

nightmare imp said:

back in the day,i bought a cd called demon gate,over 600 levels for doom and doom 2.
I still play it to this day,i've been looking for new wad collection cd's but cant find any new ones.I also have a few others from back in the day.

yeah, back when I was new to DOOM, I bought the D-Zone level disk. It had some good levels, but alot of them were for deathmatch, and at the time, I was too green to know how to set up an online game. A year later I picked up the
DOOM Companion set and started designing levels using what is now a pretty ancient build of WADED, and I completely fell in love with wad design. So I spent about a month making a pretty large level, and then my dad and his crazy ass friend went and overhauled family computer without giving me a chance to backup
>=(

Later I tried doing some stuff for Halflife, but I'm too damn lazy to figure out editing for newer engines. Of course, I'm sure there'll be some nifty new levels popping up after DOOM3 is released ^__^

Guest LordUnum
Lüt said:

Lord Unum! You're alive!

Hmm... <smacks arm> <slaps back of head> "OW! SONOFABITCH!"

Yup, I guess so! :-P

Ever play through TREE3 yourself?

fraggle` said:

<shameless plug> smmu lets you play doom I levels under doom 2 </shameless plug>

Yeah upload them cover disk levels...I need some more.