Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PFCRon

Batch files

Guest PFCRon

You can take a guess on what this post is about. Just how do I make a .bat file for DOS? The reason I'm askin this is because I can run wads on ZDoom from batch files as long as they're for ZDoom only. The problem I have is running wads that are for both regular and ZDoom 2 and also making batch files. I tried typin this on my MS-DOS prompt:

C:\>Program Files\Doom II for Windows 95>zdoom -file [wadname].wad (the C:\> was already in there of course)

What I got after that was a "Bad command or file name" message right below it. Just what in the hell am I doing wrong? Yet again, any help would be greatly apprecitated.

Change to the directory that ZDoom is stored in first. THEN use the zdoom -file whatever.wad. Example (the exact way a .bat file would look):

cd\doom2
zdoom -file whatever.wad

Or, in your case, you would do:

cd\progra~1\doomii~1
zdoom -file whatever.wad

Hope that helps

The problem is long filenames in dos = no :)
If you look at the path you are trying to run dos will have truncated anything over 8 letters eg, program files = progra~1 etc
do it in windows, explorer,> create new txt file> doom.txt for eg, edit it and put your command in there, rename file to doom.bat
double click doom.bat, should work ok then, if you HAVE to use dos you will need to look at what dos is calling your long filenames and adjust command you type to suit
C:\>Program Files\Doom II for Windows 95>zdoom -file [wadname].wad
becomes c:\progra~1\doom~1\zdoom -file wadname.wad

Guest PFCRon

Ummmmmmm, huh? That didn't help at all. What do you mean look in windows, explorer, >create new text file> etc? Are you sayin go to windows explorer? And I tried what you told me, shortening the words, but that still didnt help. Yet again I got that "Bad command or file name" message.

You have to use quotation marks for long filenames and directories. I would NEVER use Program Files to install anything to, stick with your root directory for programs, like how it's been forever. For example, install your Doom2 stuff to C:\DOOM2 or C:\DOOM2_95 if you're running the windows95 version of Doom2.

But if you don't want to do that, you have to make the batch file go something like this:

CD\
CD "Program Files"
CD "Doom II for Windows 95"
ZDoom -file [wadname].wad
CD\
CLS

That'll work for a run-once batch.

Guest PFCRon

I have the Doom95 launcher, and program files is the default folder that it goes into. Oh well, it's nothing to fret over.