Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hulk2099

windows xp and problems

hi

i had winme on my AMD1200 and i fragged happy with doom2 :)

then, i had the bad idea to install windows xp..
yes, it's maybe the best ms o.s. but...doom2 doesn't works so good :(

(single player: the sound doesn't go and if i don't set it off the game is very very slow)

multiplayer (the main problem for me!): it doesn't have sound problems (maybe for zdoom multiplayer patch files) but the game lags also ping = 5000 !!! i have a isdn internal card that always ping on other o.s. about 40 or max 50! it's incredible but true :(
ping 1000-5000 signifies i can't play doom2 in multy :(

now the problem is to understand why this happens..i think it's a winxp compatibility problem of some PC component under winXP..
it's important i tell you ISDN card plays well downloads..it's only a ping problem!

my config is

WinXP professional
AMD1200
Teles ISDN Card (internal)
GeForce2mx
sound blaster player 128
SCSI Tekram adapter (SCSI CD-ROM Plextor + SCSI CD-writee Yamaha)
Realtek card for LAN connections

i would like to back frag all people
heeeelp
thnx

yep. It's known that doom2.exe doesn't work well with winxp, tough luck. Any serious doomer should have win98 or earlier if you want to play the original game.

If I were you, I'd reinstall Win ME. Win XP is supposed to be really good, but I've heard a lot of Doomers complaining about it here. Also, my mate has a laptop with Win XP and everything to do with Windows keeps cocking up. One game that he wanted to play on it (Warcraft II BNE) wouldn't even install.

MaTT [TiK] said:
If I were you, I'd reinstall Win ME.

Pff, hell no. If you can't get 95b to work, go for 98SE. Avoid WinME like the plague (which is really what it is anyway, as far as OSes are concerned).

:(

nobody with any connection can play doom2 multy?

next monday I'll start my first connection with adsl..
do you think I will have problems still?

Lüt said:

Pff, hell no. If you can't get 95b to work, go for 98SE. Avoid WinME like the plague (which is really what it is anyway, as far as OSes are concerned).

Yeah, I know, I use Win 98SE myself. But, Hulk said he had WinME and I wasn't sure if he had Win98.

Hulk2099 said:

:(

nobody with any connection can play doom2 multy?

What?

MaTT [TiK] said:
What?

question: windows XP = I can't play doom2 in multiplayer?

...or it's a ISDN problem under XP?

if I use ADSL (and no more ISDN) can I play doom2 multy?

Yeah, it's nothing to do with your Internet connection. The problem is that you are using Windows XP. You should switch back to Windows ME or use Windows 98 Second Edition if you have it.

ok!

I've installed WinME on the other smaller HD and now Doom2 ruleZ again :)

I've installed winME just for this great game :p

anyway sometimes computer crsahes while I'm fragging (the screen is blocked and I can't do anything) and I have to reset :(

aaaargh..there's no way to play happily without problems :(

Don't worry, that used to happen to me. It seems to have cleared up now. I don't know why.

I've installe ADSL..problem are decreased...but they remains (..under winXP) :(

it's a bad thing if I consider that with this connection I can play with ping = 50 while I download 3 things simultaneously :(

Bloody hell. I really want ADSL. Our local MP is complaining to BT because they won't make it available in this town until 400 people pre-order, and he knows 400 people won't do this, but he also knows a lot of businesses (and gamers :) ) need it. Hopefully 400 people will pre-order now and I'll be able to get it.