Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

who uses doom(2).exe still

ever sense i got zdoom back at v1.16 i have not used the original .exe. reasons are because there are vast improvments to the game like no visplane overflow and the ablity to move over/under other spirits. also the improved graphics are great too. I do support trying to keep the game in its original feel but i nolonger use the old engin because of the few bugs in it. also with new doom ports net play has been improved and made far greater than it ever was

How does that walk over.under other sprites work? I never could get ZDoom to work so I wouldn't know.

I'm sticking with zDoom 1.22 until a 1.23 final comes out, however, I still use the original doom2.exe for all my demo needs.

It's weird that people refuse to use betas, even when a beta is way more stable than the "official release" (which a lot of the 1.23 betas have been).

v1.22 was a crashy basrad, if I remember correctly.

DooMBoy said:

How does that walk over.under other sprites work? I never could get ZDoom to work so I wouldn't know.

You have to use an editor that lets you set the z co-ordinates (i.e. the distance from the ground) for things, such as ZETH or Deepsea.

NiGHTMARE said:

It's weird that people refuse to use betas, even when a beta is way more stable than the "official release" (which a lot of the 1.23 betas have been).v1.22 was a crashy basrad, if I remember corre

But you cannot play on the net with 2 different versions of zdoom, so it's best to stick to 1.22 until EVERYONE is using the other version, this happened when 1.17a? went to 1.22, total mahem until everyone had gotten 1.22

I still use doom.exe and doom2.exe for anything that doesn't require a sourceport. I just like the "feel" of it, and watching the loadup screen is very nostalgic. I have yet to play a sourceport that completely retains the original feel of Doom. As for Zdoom, the latest beta has something wrong with it's dehacked code, which was a problem in an earlier beta, then it was fixed, now it's broken again, and I can't wait for it to get fixed again because I use Zdoom to play Ghostbusters Doom which is REALLY awesome. I even got myself some Ghostbusters MP3's to replace the MIDIs, and with the new translucency effect, the proton pack looks awesome, but there are too many glitches with the dehacked in Zdoom to play it without cheating now (mainly problems picking up weapons and getting something not a weapon and proton pack is supposed to have infinite ammo but it doesn't). Geez that's one long sentence, and I did get off track, sorry about that, I just got overexcited.

Me to a certain extent. Most of the time I play edge because I'm working on my mod, but sometimes I like playing other mods like memento mori or something.

I have a thing against zdoom because randy heit said he would put edge-like .ddf features in it and he never did - said that he had more important things to do (how much more important can .ddf features be?). Anyway, it's a big hassle to get zdoom working because it's in a different directory than my doom2.wad (something I refuse to make copies of because of its size).

There's still quite a few things to stop me using ports. Firstly, obviously, you can't use ports for speedrunning play. Also, there's some other things. Zdoom and Boom particularly seem somehow to be far worse for the "disappearing shot" bug - sometimes, particularly firing at certain monsters (mancubus mainly), shots from the SSG especially can just disappear and not register. It happens in doom(2).exe, but it happens far more in Boom and Zdoom ports. There's other problems with ports, too. When I *do* want to do some serious play under a port (say recording speedruns for PWADs that need Boom to work) no port is remotely as good as the original, because they all have boot sequences that are slower, use more video mode switching and don't give instant control. No port has input drivers as good as doom(2).exe - this seems to vary from PC to PC, with Boom and PRBoom being especially bad on mine and ZDoom being the best, though still not as smooth as original exe. The silent BFG doesn't work in Zdoom, which makes it useless for serious 1 on 1 in some maps, particularly MAP01. And some of the physics is slightly broken - keygrabs don't work in most modern ports, like the ones on MAP12 and MAP13, and for DM play, the plasma grab in MAP01 is broken in Zdoom/Csdoom (seems to be broken more than ever in Zdoom 1.23, as well).

fodders said:

Use your logic centre and put zdoom where doom2.wad is :)

Actually I did that, but I still don't play it.

It all comes down to the fact that I cannot have BOTH strafing and opening doors on the right mouse button. I *refuse* to play any port that does not allow this - it's a handicap that they intentionally build into the port to make the game harder.

sirgalahadwizar said:

Actually I did that, but I still don't play it.

It all comes down to the fact that I cannot have BOTH strafing and opening doors on the right mouse button. I *refuse* to play any port that does not allow this - it's a handicap that they intentionally build into the port to make the game harder.

Er, from saying you want strafing and opening doors on the same button, I guess you use a mouse button for strafe on, then turn the mouse to strafe. That's an absolutely horrible config, and you should cease and desist immediately :). you can't straferun very well like that (you run out of mousemat), and toggled strafe is infinitely inferior to separate-key strafe because you can't turn at the same time as using it...

Necromancer said:

Dumb question: where can I find ZDoom?

-------------

http://zdoom.notgod.com

AdamW said:

Er, from saying you want strafing and opening doors on the same button, I guess you use a mouse button for strafe on, then turn the mouse to strafe. That's an absolutely horrible config, and you should cease and desist immediately :). you can't straferun very well like that (you run out of mousemat), and toggled strafe is infinitely inferior to separate-key strafe because you can't turn at the same time as using it...

Actually you wouldn't know how well it works :)

First of all, I never use the mouse to move, the only time I EVER use the mouse to move is if I am mlooking (which I wish I could do all the time - like Q2's freelook) or precise aiming (getting a rocket right in that little hole).

I use arrow keys to do all of my movements. And I use the right mouse button for jsut about everything except jumping (which I what I use shift key for).

Jumping is on shift key because it is so close to the arrow keys all I have to so is move my pinky finger to jump - shift key is obsolete for running seeing as I have running on all the time (don't need to walk, can maneuver precisely even when running).

Now, I bet you're saying "why not the WASD config?". Reason is that I just scoot my keyboard over to the left (or scoot my body over to the right) so that my left hand is right over the arrowkeys. I am ambidextrous when it comes to doing the mouse - keyboard configuration, I am an infinitly weaker player if I use only one hand. I haven't used Ctrl, Alt, or the shortcut sidestep keys (, and . I think - I dont rememeber) keys in doom or any other FPS for years.

Again, I repeat, I do not use the mouse to move around, only to fine-tune aim, fire, momentarially strafe, and open doors. I h8 using spacebar to open things because I have to remove my hand from the arrowkeys - leaving me vulnerable.

You're such a fucking idiot.

sirgalahadwizar said:

I am ambidextrous when it comes to doing the mouse - keyboard configuration

You are so lucky, I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Hehe, that's funny.

What I meant is that I can use my right arm on the mouse and left arm on the arrowkeys&shift key both at the same time. I wouldn't exactly be able to do it vice versa though. Might just call it hand-eye corrodination instead of ambidexterity (because I still can't write with my left hand). Although I think they call it ambidexterity when you can have both arms doing different tasks - like one hand stroking and one hand rubbing.