Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ike the Killer

Idea for one of the source ports.

Guest Ike the Killer

Has anyone ever thought of adding the sounds of a TR-808, TR-909, and a TB-303 (all classic analog synths) to a source port? Maybe adding ReBirth support or something?

Mod support is cool, but I would like having midi that play from a single mod's samples.

The file size would be a LOT smaller with one lump of samples and the midis just use those instead.

Guest Ike the Killer

I'm not sure that would be smaller. MIDI has 128 instruments (plus each of the drum sounds in a single kit). And on some synths, there's multiple drum kits, each with some unique sounds. Just having the basic 128+1 drum kit samples from a GUS is a bit over 5 megs. And those are not the best quality.

Having each wad have it's own lump for the midi sounds it uses, and then having them play back in a midi is redundant, as that's the same as a MOD file.

And then, what if I release a wad that has a midi that uses special banks pertaining only to a certain synth? I don't recall any keyboard having a Synth Bass #5 on patch number 19 on bank 128 other than some Casio synths. And I've never seen anything like that UFO high-hat on the UFO drum kit on an Alesis QS8.

Dude, you missed my point! =)

I know how mods work, believe me -- I have hundreds of them.

What I mean is:

One lump of ALL the sound samples used... this would not pertain to existing mods but to mods created for a project. Then the midis then included would take from this sample lump.

All of these would need to be custom, of course.

Why have 10 mods, each one with the same 500k of samples?
Instead, have the samples once and then sample-less mods that draw from the same pool!

It wouldn't need the full sample set either, just include the samples that they are going to use!

Make a mod with the samples you want, then make a bunch of mods with those same samples. Before putting those mods into the wad just delete the samples and it will automatically look for them in the 'SAMPLES' lump. =)

Of course all of these would have to be custom made for the project... but some projects have modders anyway and conforming to this wouldn't be very difficult, it would unify the sound, and it would greatly reduce the download size.